Mehta: Fickle Falcons led Rex Ryan to take Bills job

YoloinOhio

The only thing I wasn't crazy about reading is that Buffalo wasn't his first, or even second choice. He felt like ATL and SF weren't seriously interested so he settled on the only firm offer he had on the table with Buffalo. If either of those teams call him back Rex wouldn't have signed with us.

Jim Kelly didn't want to be a Bill at one time.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Falcon's loss, hardly, Ryan was clearly not the best choice on the board, unless you wanted to hire a big name with a losing record than he that guy, 5 yrs and 25.5 million is only reason Bills got this supposed prize, ask yourself this , if Ryan is the best there is why did the Jets let him go, maybe they saw the emperor with out his clothes

This is just wrong. Given that he had a the Cowardly Sloth for his BEST option at QB he actually did a great job with the O. We know that he didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the first pick for Watkins. This is all Whaley's love for EJ who seems to be a great guy but a less than 50-50 shot of being a legit NFL starting QB. If you want him to build an offense you have to let him pick the players to run it. An untenable catch 22. Dont blame him for optimg out. To say he "didn't care" is honestly dumb, sorry but true. Think about what words you use. They are silly on the face of it.

Wow, a genuine voice of reason on this board. Amen!

Hey NoSaint the bored housewife. I'm serious. How many bon bons?

Ha ha, you said that Rex Ryan didn't care about offense (your words) which would be equally as dumb. They got worse under Marrone and had more talent than the previous regime. Go troll somewhere else Doug. Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Bills may be the fickle ones. On the face of it this doesn't make sense. I don't think he's really head coach material. He's not enough of a control freak. He really doesn't care about the offense. That's not good. The HC has to have his hands in everything. That's why Marrone gets credit for the mass improvement in the D. I'll support him because I'm a Bills fan. To me this seems like a serious downgrade. Don't worry about Marrone. Why do you think the knowledgable football world sings his praises. Weird but here we go.

Rex is 20 times the football coach you could ever hope to be Doug

This is just wrong. Given that he had a the Cowardly Sloth for his BEST option at QB he actually did a great job with the O. We know that he didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the first pick for Watkins. This is all Whaley's love for EJ who seems to be a great guy but a less than 50-50 shot of being a legit NFL starting QB. If you want him to build an offense you have to let him pick the players to run it. An untenable catch 22. Dont blame him for optimg out. To say he "didn't care" is honestly dumb, sorry but true. Think about what words you use. They are silly on the face of it.

A great job with the O? Did you watch any games this season? Which part did you like best:

1. The incredibly inept red zone %,

2. The horrible offensive line (a supposed Marrone specialty) and terrible run game, or

3. The lack of imagination in getting Sammy the ball in space?

If you are from Buffalo it may be a better lace to live than Atlanta . Everyone else will take Atl.

I'm not from Buffalo and have only lived here 2.5 years. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is a place I like living. I've been to Atlanta enough to know that it is not a place I would want to live. Thus Buffalo gets the nod from me. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that preference, but I'd be willing to bet it is a bigger minority than you think.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about reading is that Buffalo wasn't his first, or even second choice. He felt like ATL and SF weren't seriously interested so he settled on the only firm offer he had on the table with Buffalo. If either of those teams call him back Rex wouldn't have signed with us.

If I had a chance to go to SF (Kaepernick) or Atlanta (Ryan) I would prefer to go there too.

Doesn't mean the Bills are chopped liver, he still had alternatives - broadcast if nothing else.

I'm not from Buffalo and have only lived here 2.5 years. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is a place I like living. I've been to Atlanta enough to know that it is not a place I would want to live. Thus Buffalo gets the nod from me. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that preference, but I'd be willing to bet it is a bigger minority than you think.

I would not choose to live in Atlanta either, even over Columbus. I would choose to live in Bflo over Columbus, but probably because I am from there.

I can see it being an attractive HC gig. But their roster is largely bad.

This.

The Falcons have a QB, but outside of Julio and Trufant their roster is a wasteland. I can't really believe the generally accepted consensus has them as much closer to winning than we are.

This.

The Falcons have a QB, but outside of Julio and Trufant their roster is a wasteland. I can't really believe the generally accepted consensus has them as much closer to winning than we are.

Yep. Rex wasnt going to be able to run his defense effectively on that team. They have holes all over. They would be a lot better defensively but probably not good.

Mojo44, on 11 Jan 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:snapback.png

Ha ha, you said that Rex Ryan didn't care about offense (your words) which would be equally as dumb. They got worse under Marrone and had more talent than the previous regime. Go troll somewhere else Doug.

I guess "Mojo" walked out on that post as well. Deleted it. Must have decided it didn't fit the narrative too well.

It's clear that Falcons' waffling allowed Bills to sneak in. But to me, the bigger thing was that as Falcons may have been Ryan's top choice and if Bills knew that, the Thursday interview was probably more relaxed on both sides, and who knows may have been more candid and personable. There's a natural tendency to get tense in critical situations, and I think a lot of that was missing in the first interview, because Ryan looked at Bills as a second choice.

But as the interview drew on, both sides got more comfortable. Which led to the quick second interview and the hiring decision.

Nothing to back it up, just a hunch.

So, thank you Atlanta. You ended up being the stalking horse, not the Bills.

I would not choose to live in Atlanta either, even over Columbus. I would choose to live in Bflo over Columbus, but probably because I am from there.

I'd rather live in Cbus over Atlanta, too (and as you know, I have). That place must be absolutely batshit crazy right now. Is anything at all getting done this week?

I've got some good friends in ATL who are Falcons season ticket holders. They wanted Ryan in the worst way.

If you are from Buffalo it may be a better lace to live than Atlanta . Everyone else will take Atl.

Yes, who wouldn't want the soul-crushing humidity, no bodies of water, and spending two hours a day in your car?

I live in ATL. A lot of confusion as to what happened. Some say there was confusion on who Rex was reporting to GM/Owner.

Atl was also slow playing and Rex did not want to wait.

Rex was definitely an option in ATL and they wanted him.

Can I ask why? I live in ATL now and love it.

And Yes people here in ATL are extremely pissed that they lost out on Rex.

I've got some good friends in ATL who are Falcons season ticket holders. They wanted Ryan in the worst way.

Yes, who wouldn't want the soul-crushing humidity, no bodies of water, and spending two hours a day in your car?

Um, this is all just completely false.

I live in CBus as well. Right now it's the calm before the storm, a lot of nervous energy.

I'm incredibly nervous, and get even more scared every time someone tells me not to be nervous. Boss scheduled a 2-hour meeting. He lives in Chicago and doesn't get it. But should take my mind off of the game hopefully for a little while!