NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

From Deadspin article: :D

"Ryan's hiring comes after the Jets were expected to hire former Bills head coach and contract negotiation wizard Doug Marrone, and then soured on him after anonymous reports from every last person on Earth described him as a self-serving, micro-managing shitbag."

I love how everyone is piling on Marrone. Now, I wasn't the biggest Doug fan, nor a hater. I thought he was a flawed coach, but improving. Anyway, according to La Canfora Pegula offered Marrone an extension and expected he would be back. Also, the players seemed pissed he was leaving the team---not happy about it.

So, a guy who got an extension offer, and whose players were upset he left, is now a flaming piece of garbage nobody could stand? Color me unswayed by the "kick the fired guy with every insult--and blame him for every bad thing" ploy.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the last big free agent Rex got? Vick?

Remember when Rex publicly emasculated his young QB and undermined his GM all in a prime time matchup? Good thing we don't have a spiteful HC anymore.

He didn't have any say in the roster and he was a lame duck the last couple years and the team and little talent. The point is, players love him and love playing for him. You saw some of the reaction from the Bills. it's enthusiastic.

I have always figured Ryan is a good coach with a lousy front office. He'll fit right in.

My biggest concern with this is that Ryan loves a 3-4 defense, and the Bills personnel is geared to a 4-3. Will Ryan keep Schwartz in place and let Schwartz continue to run a 4-3? Well just supposing they go with a 3-4. Does Kyle Williams play right DE? Does Jerry Hughes play right DE? Or do they let Hughes leave (or heaven forbid, let Kyle Williams leave), and plug in Kiko alongside this year's three LBs? Or do they just toss out everything and start over like usually happens when they switch defensive concepts.

Rex Ryan is probably an upgrade over Marrone. Any of the OC options they're talking about is a HUGE upgrade over Hackett. But there's still no solid QB option, and the O line still stinks.

If the Bills handle this wrong, they'll blow up that great defense and not fix the offense. Probably trade Carpenter too so they'll suck on STs as well.

I'd like to see LeBeau in as DC

Rex will be highly motivated and his personality will put Buffalo on the map big time. He is most loyal of any coach out the and players will love playing for him. Ideally I'd Scwartz stays he will demand we resign Highes and keep all our defensive players including Spikes. Def will be best in league. Maybe we trade for Kapernick?.. Rex's negatives are that he can create a frat mentality among players and his teams take too many undiscclined penalties. I hope he has learned and will change in this regard. He will utilize big strong backs and will upgrade our OL. If Roman can get the offense track, Rex's personality can take this team far. Fans are gonna love him!,

Let's not forget he is clueless on the offensive side of the ball, and has sucked his past few years as a HC.

He didn't have any say in the roster and he was a lame duck the last couple years and the team and little talent. The point is, players love him and love playing for him. You saw some of the reaction from the Bills. it's enthusiastic.

Yes, the players loved playing for him. Unfotunately, they didn't love winning for him too

I don't like it.

So I assume this means we lose Schwartz and change defensive systems? And have a HC who has failed to effectively develop two young QBs? And from what I've seen, is pretty terrible at game planning?

Dear god I hope my pessimism is wrong on this.

Here is the bright side: he is 4-2 in Playoff games. Our last coaches were 0-0. He has been two two AFC Championship Games with Sanchize as his QB. His players ALWAYS play hard. Last year the Jets offense actually outperformed the Bills in yardage gained, with less skilled players. Rumors are that he will get Roman or Trestman as OC. The D will change, but not regress. The part of this I don't like is loosing Schwartz if the DC from the Jets joins Rex. (I imagine Schwartz then ends up in Pgh perhpas).

Still unprofessional. And they loved playing for him so much, they let up 40 to the Bills twice in blowouts. Remember the Dave & Buster's game last season?

But now he's new hire, so the excuses are abounding.

Yes, the players loved playing for him. Unfotunately, they didn't love winning for him too

I think Rex had a better winning percentage than our last what, 5-6 coaches. HE also made the AFC Championship game, and did all of this each time with a roster that is inferior to the one we currently have.

Haha. See my post less than a minute before this.

I steal all my best material.

I'm conflicted by the hire but behind it. My biggest fears are: Rex was never really the HC in NJ. He was DC first and foremost. I really hope that changes. A HC can't ignore the rest of the team. That could be a bad perception on my part, but, it's my reality. That led (possibly) to my second fear. Rex's teams showed no discipline off the field (if that makes any sense). My impression was that players loved playing for him because he didn't hold them accountable for the things they said and did.

That can easily change if he turns the reins over to 3 good coordinators and manages the team and guides it in the right direction.

Meanwhile, my entry for the Bills 2015 motto: We can lick any team

Monday Night Football, first game in New York against the Bills. Rex coming home. How could they not schedule that?

They will. This is another benefit of the hire. It gets the Bills back in the national spotlight. He was not my first choice, but he is not a bad choice IMO.

I steal all my best material.

I'm conflicted by the hire but behind it. My biggest fears are: Rex was never really the HC in NJ. He was DC first and foremost. I really hope that changes. A HC can't ignore the rest of the team. That could be a bad perception on my part, but, it's my reality. That led (possibly) to my second fear. Rex's teams showed no discipline off the field (if that makes any sense). My impression was that players loved playing for him because he didn't hold them accountable for the things they said and did.

That can easily change if he turns the reins over to 3 good coordinators and manages the team and guides it in the right direction.

Meanwhile, my entry for the Bills 2015 motto: We can lick any team

I see Rex getting a top of the line offensive coordinator. Unlike some other candidates, he has the ability to pull top coordinators w/o being hindered by the Jets FO.

They will. This is another benefit of the hire. It gets the Bills back in the national spotlight. He was not my first choice, but he is not a bad choice IMO.

Why is this a benefit? How does playing on Monday night translate to wins?

I think Rex had a better winning percentage than our last what, 5-6 coaches. HE also made the AFC Championship game, and did all of this each time with a roster that is inferior to the one we currently have.

Unreal. Go back and look at the 09-10 Jets rosters. They were way better than ours today. Revision at its finest.

You can always find isolated games to show that teams gave up on coaches.

Fair.

Not to mention that players loving playing for you is a completely different topic than players playing hard for you every game.

Fine, we'll stay on players loving him. You said that will bring in more FA's. Last big time FA I remember joining Rex was LT? At the tail end of his career trying to win a ring. 6 years ago.

How many good coaches have been loved by their players? Hell, Rex is a great defensive mind and the players love him? Why is his coaching record ~.500?

This is awful. Changing back to 3-4 which means Schwartz is gone. Kyle Williams on JMS recently said that the D was simpler this year and the players seemed to prefer it and play better. I see the D taking a step back now and Ryan has a track record of putrid offenses, including never once developing a QB. This shows that Pegula is more interested in getting the Bills national attention instead of building a winner....

I don't agree as bad as the jets were this year they took Brady and Belichick to the last play of both of their games, you want to win the East you gotta beat the Patriots and Rex gives you your best chance of doing that, with the Bills defensive line I bet Brady wasn't happy to hear that this morning.

I see Rex getting a top of the line offensive coordinator. Unlike some other candidates, he has the ability to pull top coordinators w/o being hindered by the Jets FO.

With his family connections, maybe he can get Kevin Killdrive to come back

Unreal. Go back and look at the 09-10 Jets rosters. They were way better than ours today. Revision at its finest.

Fair.

Fine, we'll stay on players loving him. You said that will bring in more FA's. Last big time FA I remember joining Rex was LT? At the tail end of his career trying to win a ring. 6 years ago.

How many good coaches have been loved by their players? Hell, Rex is a great defensive mind and the players love him? Why is his coaching record ~.500?

Again, the last four years Rex had little say AND had two idiots bringing in players to fill the roster, both of whom got fired for it. Players like playing for "player's coaches."

The point is, the combination of Rex Ryan, the roster, and Daddy Warbucks, is going to make the Bills a far more desirable spot for FAs than in the last twenty years, Mario Williams and deers in the backyard and $100m notwithstanding.

So, a guy who got an extension offer, and whose players were upset he left, is now a flaming piece of garbage nobody could stand? Color me unswayed by the "kick the fired guy with every insult--and blame him for every bad thing" ploy.

Marrone become a dirtbag when he quit. No one is "kicking the fired guy" but it's easy and acceptable to "kick the quitter." Screw sensitive Dougie who quit and then pissed all over the team on the way out the door.

I agree with you regarding Rex concerns. The Jets quit on their coach last year, and that's a giant problem. That and he's full of bluster that he did not back up. On the plus side, he's smart with the media and funny. He inspires confidence in the team (until/unless adversity hits). I hope he learned something in NY.

There was no consensus choice this off-season. Interesting that the Bills probably got the biggest name. Ryan certainly isn't a Mike Mularky/Ralph Wilson era choice.

That's what I love about this forum. It's the unbridled optimism. Kudos.

I'm typically fairly optimistic about Bills moves. I try to remain free of the relentless negativity, while also not swilling the Kool Aid. I've been accused by many, as being too optimistic and positive in the past. So, I REALLY hope I'm wrong. And I am trying to find something positive in this hire. But it's hard for me to see. Our problem is on the offensive side of the ball, and Rex has NEVER been a factor in the offense---or maybe even a detriment to the offense. This reeks of a media/PR hire to me.

With that said, I root for the laundry. I will hold my nose and root for the Bills even if the stench of Rex wafts from the sidelines.

BTW, I have two friends who are big Jets fans. Both have started rooting for the Bills the past two years because they couldn't root for Rex or Vick.

Not to mention that players loving playing for you is a completely different topic than players playing hard for you every game.

Loving your coach is nice, but not essential, IMO. Being focused, methodical and in control...now there are characteristics I'd like players to get from the HC...

Marrone become a dirtbag when he quit. No one is "kicking the fired guy" but it's easy and acceptable to "kick the quitter." Screw sensitive Dougie who quit and then pissed all over the team on the way out the door.

I agree with you regarding Rex concerns. The Jets quit on their coach last year, and that's a giant problem. That and he's full of bluster that he did not back up. On the plus side, he's smart with the media and funny. He inspires confidence in the team (until/unless adversity hits). I hope he learned something in NY.

There was no consensus choice this off-season. Interesting that the Bills probably got the biggest name. Ryan certainly isn't a Mike Mularky/Ralph Wilson era choice.

How is being smart with the media or being funny, relevant?

The guy took the an option available to him. And I have read no credible report on how he "pissed all over the team", though I see people accusing him of that. But either way, that plays ZERO role in what kind of coach he was, or was not, while he was with the team.

Loving your coach is nice, but not essential, IMO. Being focused, methodical and in control...now there are characteristics I'd like players to get from the HC...

Very true. Loving your coach really doesn't have anything to do with being essential, or even winning. It's one of 25 things that are important to have as a HC and nearly at the bottom of it. Players LOVED playing for Dick Jauron, because he was a great guy and he treated them with respect, but he was a crappy HC.

My point when I said players loved playing for him was an overall element about what the total affect of the hire was, as well as different than our last guy, from a lot of players.

How is being smart with the media or being funny, relevant?

Part of Marrone's downfall here, and part of his potential job imploding with the Jets, was his inability to be smart and funny with the media. Part of Ryan staying for five years at NY instead of four was because he was smart and funny with the media. For the most part, they liked him, even though they were abusing the team a lot lately.

Very true. Loving your coach really doesn't have anything to do with being essential, or even winning. It's one of 25 things that are important to have as a HC and nearly at the bottom of it. Players LOVED playing for Dick Jauron, because he was a great guy and he treated them with respect, but he was a crappy HC.

My point when I said players loved playing for him was an overall element about what the total affect of the hire was, as well as different than our last guy, from a lot of players.

Part of Marrone's downfall here, and part of his potential job imploding with the Jets, was his inability to be smart and funny with the media. Part of Ryan staying for five years at NY instead of four was because he was smart and funny with the media. For the most part, they liked him, even though they were abusing the team a lot lately.

Again, the dealings with the media aren't relevant. They have no bearing on winning/losing or what happens on the field.

I'm typically fairly optimistic about Bills moves. I try to remain free of the relentless negativity, while also not swilling the Kool Aid. I've been accused by many, as being too optimistic and positive in the past. So, I REALLY hope I'm wrong. And I am trying to find something positive in this hire. But it's hard for me to see. Our problem is on the offensive side of the ball, and Rex has NEVER been a factor in the offense---or maybe even a detriment to the offense. This reeks of a media/PR hire to me.

With that said, I root for the laundry. I will hold my nose and root for the Bills even if the stench of Rex wafts from the sidelines.

BTW, I have two friends who are big Jets fans. Both have started rooting for the Bills the past two years because they couldn't root for Rex or Vick.

I feel good about the hire, Dean. I mean in a deep down intuitive way and I'm always right when I feel that way.

So, keep the faith, this one is gonna turn out fantastically.

Again, the dealings with the media aren't relevant. They have no bearing on winning/losing or what happens on the field.

Agree. But they have something to do with the job, sometimes a lot to do with the job, and if you do or don't have that job, that greatly affects what happens on the field. Like 100% of it.

Hello Bills fans. Take this from a 50 year NFL fan who has watched Rex Ryan closely during his tenure as HC of the NYJ.
They say he is a defensive guru but he is a fraud. It is the biggestr fallacy in the NFL.

Remember how Pittsburgh cleaned his clock in the playoffs 3 years ago?

With his great defense I think they were down 24-0 at the half.

They never fail to give up a score to lose a tight game and never get critical 3rd down stops to get off the field
Initially his schemes on defense worked fairly well but the league caught up with him by 2011.
He is a terrible in game coach frequently making time management errors, making poor 1/2 time adjustments and he is terrible talent evaluator.
His teams are always ill prepared and are penalized for 12 men on the field frequently.

The good coaches in the league have no fear of his offensive game plans at all.

I wont go into how he has embarrassed the franchise with his Youtube vid, Mark Sanchez / wife tatoo plus his dumb comments and behavior.
He is a loud mouth who talks big but never backs up his boasts. Just look at what your Bills did to him this year.
His reputation as a defensive guru is baloney created by the NY media who wanted him to stay because he is always quote worthy, giving them back page stuff to print and is friendly to them.
He said he didn't come to NY to kiss Bill Belichicks rings and said he was going to visit the White House after winning the SB with the NYJ.
Well he may not have kissed Bills rings but he didn't win any rings and the only way this Bozo is going to the White House is like you and I, as a tourist.
I am not trolling when I say Buffalo fans deserve a good team. They are one of the most loyal fan bases in the league. Unfortunately Ryan is not the guy to make it happen.

I like the hire. An experienced HC who will make the Bills relevant again. Gives the Pats fits. Don't get the all hate for Roman. He was OC for 4 years with SF and they went to 3 NFC Championship games. This year was bad for SF but there were a lot of distractions this year with Harbaugh et al.

Hello Bills fans. Take this from a 50 year NFL fan who has watched Rex Ryan closely during his tenure as HC of the NYJ.They say he is a defensive guru but he is a fraud. It is the biggestr fallacy in the NFL.

They never fail to give up a score to lose a tight game and never get critical 3rd down stops to get off the fieldInitially his schemes on defense worked fairly well but the league caught up with him by 2011.He is a terrible in game coach frequently making time management errors, making poor 1/2 time adjustments and he is terrible talent evaluator.His teams are always ill prepared and are penalized for 12 men on the field frequently.

I wont go into how he has embarrassed the franchise with his Youtube vid, Mark Sanchez / wife tatoo plus his dumb comments and behavior.He is a loud mouth who talks big but never backs up his boasts. Just look at what your Bills did to him this year.His reputation as a defensive guru is baloney created by the NY media who wanted him to stay because he is always quote worthy, giving them back page stuff to print and is friendly to them.He said he didn't come to NY to kiss Bill Belichicks rings and said he was going to visit the White House after winning the SB with the NYJ.Well he may not have kissed Bills rings but he didn't win any rings and the only way this Bozo is going to the White House is like you and I, as a tourist.I am not trolling when I say Buffalo fans deserve a good team. They are one of the most loyal fan bases in the league. Unfortunately Ryan is not the guy to make it happen.

Cool story bro.

Hello Bills fans. Take this from a 50 year NFL fan who has watched Rex Ryan closely during his tenure as HC of the NYJ.They say he is a defensive guru but he is a fraud. It is the biggestr fallacy in the NFL.

They never fail to give up a score to lose a tight game and never get critical 3rd down stops to get off the fieldInitially his schemes on defense worked fairly well but the league caught up with him by 2011.He is a terrible in game coach frequently making time management errors, making poor 1/2 time adjustments and he is terrible talent evaluator.His teams are always ill prepared and are penalized for 12 men on the field frequently.

I wont go into how he has embarrassed the franchise with his Youtube vid, Mark Sanchez / wife tatoo plus his dumb comments and behavior.He is a loud mouth who talks big but never backs up his boasts. Just look at what your Bills did to him this year.His reputation as a defensive guru is baloney created by the NY media who wanted him to stay because he is always quote worthy, giving them back page stuff to print and is friendly to them.He said he didn't come to NY to kiss Bill Belichicks rings and said he was going to visit the White House after winning the SB with the NYJ.Well he may not have kissed Bills rings but he didn't win any rings and the only way this Bozo is going to the White House is like you and I, as a tourist.I am not trolling when I say Buffalo fans deserve a good team. They are one of the most loyal fan bases in the league. Unfortunately Ryan is not the guy to make it happen.

Well, then thank God he's keeping Jim Schwartz in place to run one of the most dominant defenses in the league.

The thing that bothers me the most is we have a really talented team that was likely going to make the playoffs next year anyway. Now this worthless sack of crap is gonna get credit for it.

Can't wait to hear this fat POS run his mouth off all the time.

Sorry, but he's not a Buffalo type of guy who's humble with working class roots/mentality. He's a "I'm better than everyone else" type of guy.

They said the exact same thing about Jim Kelly