Did Polian bury Marrone?

Not a chance...

Speaking of "going against the family" NFL owners are a tight knit group.

There are 32 of them. Everyone else is not part of their club.

Speaking of club, I've got some club soda that needs spicing up so I'm off to enjoy a few cocktails and a rare Friday night off (I work in food service)!

Edited by TheFunPolice

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes the most sense.

NO WAY Marrone willingly leaves this job (and an extra 4 million) on the table if he doesn't have some pretty good assurances that there will be a spot for him.

So what changed?

He acted totally unprofessional and bush league.

I think that's exactly what happened. He didn't expect the backlash.

Tim Graham has been wrong before, but I believe his report on it is likely true. It makes the most sense to me. He said throughout the season that the Power Jockeys on the Bills were badmouthing Polian. They were probably worried for their jobs more than Marrone and Whaley were. And there were rumors of the Pegulas bringing back Polian. They were telling old stories about what as ass Polian was. Marrone heard them, and now that he was leaving, and because he's a prick, he told Polian what he had been hearing from Overdorf and Littman and the Old Guard.

That makes total sense to me. And it pissed Polian off, although he had a few different reasons not to take the job.

Exactly.

NFL coaches do not quit. It almost never happens.

If you are fired people understand. Landry got fired. Belichick got fired. Coughlin got fired. It's not really a mark against you (see Rex Ryan being a top prize, along with Shanahan)

But quitting doesn't compute with these guys. Most NFL coaches would drop dead working before they let go of the job they worked their entire lives to get.

Under certain circumstances (Harbaugh for example) it is understood. You and the GM butted heads everyday so you find a way that everyone looks good and there is no "bad guy."

But Marrone seemingly wanted to portray himself as the victim and the Bills as the "bad guy."

BIG TIME no-no in the good ole boys club. If they fire you, fine. But you QUIT?

Yup

If I was ever a HC of an NFL team, hell even just worked for one, they would have to drag me out the building before I quit.

Made his own bed. Now sleep in it you miserable :censored:

That link didn't work for me. I'm not sure what you are saying. I was referring to Tim Graham's report that what Marrone told Polian was "The Power Jockeys" were badmouthing Polian during the season. Most people assumed that to mean Overdorf, Littman, maybe Bertchold and perhaps Brandon.

Sorry bad link.

But it's an article from Matt Fairburn (sp?) about Marrone bad mouthing the org to Polian after he quit. I'm on mobile otherwise id fix the link, but the article can be found easily,

Sorry bad link.

But it's an article from Matt Fairburn (sp?) about Marrone bad mouthing the org to Polian after he quit. I'm on mobile otherwise id fix the link, but the article can be found easily,

Ive seen several articles about it. Probably read that one, as I like him and read him all the time. The only thing I ever read about the specifics of what Marrone told Polian, was that Marrone told him that "Power Jockeys" had been badmouthing Poian during the season at OBD.

Here is the article. Fairburn was just reporting on Graham's report, and others. It doesn't mention any specifics.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/01/doug_marrone_badmouthed_bills_to_bill_polian_according_to_report.html

I recall Gregg Williams presser after he was fired. As screwed up as he was.....he had the class to go out thanking the Bills organization for the opportunity. Marrone, really doesn't know how to handle himself imho, and I guess I am going to be surprised if he get another HC job right now.

All of this talk of the "Old Guard" and complications stemming from its existence for various parties raises a very good question.

In the Pegula era, why in the HELL does the Old Guard continue to exist? I know Littman's role has already been greatly diminished or eliminated...but others remain.

I would be hosing that place out with lots and lots of high pressure rubbing alcohol. Get rid of ALL that residue leftover from literally decades of dysfunction. There should not be an Old Guard at OBD anymore. Its continued existence is a black mark on the Pegulas in my opinion, but I will give them some time to get the lay of the land.

Regarding Marrone: If he is not hired by the Jets or anyone else, it will not be because of fears of "bad press" and this type of thing b/c Marrone left Buffalo like a jerk. They won't care about that. It will be because they saw how Marrone handled himself and how he treated the Buffalo organization, and it will raise concerns that Marrone will similarly poison the new organization as well.

That is a different story...and franchises most certainly will black list a guy like this if the word is now out that Marrone is a rogue lone wolf type who will shoot his employing organization in the back if he gets a chance.

It's worth noting that loosely similar circumstances kept Ted Nolan blacklisted and out of an NHL coaching job for a very long time.

Would love to see Marrone quietly fade from the NFL HC hunt and end up as OC for some unimportant college program when the smoke clears on this one. Yeah, he'll still have millions but he will also have a lot of regrets and a failed coaching career.

All of this talk of the "Old Guard" and complications stemming from its existence for various parties raises a very good question.

In the Pegula era, why in the HELL does the Old Guard continue to exist? I know Littman's role has already been greatly diminished or eliminated...but others remain.

I always thought Ralph's evil beancounters were Littman and Overdorf, only. Littman is gone. I don't know why Overdorf is there, but it would certainly wipe some of the stink of relentless failure off if he left.

Who else is there? Berchtold? He is in media relations and it doesn't sound like his opinion of Bill Polian would matter much to anyone...including Bill Polian.

Russ? Russ never worked with him. I'd be interested to know who else around there even got to work with Polian. He's been gone 21 years!

So it was either Overdorf sabotaging him, which seems plausible, or......???????

Exactly.

NFL coaches do not quit. It almost never happens.

While this is true, it has happened multiple times to the Bills.

If you look deeper, it doesn't get much better. Marrone took his buy-out. Mularkey resigned. Saban resigned. Chuck Knox resigned.

Curiosities: Gregg Williams was offered a contract extension in 2002 and declined, claiming he'd rather spend 2003 as a lame duck coach. The spent their 1st round pick on a guy who'd never play a single down for Coach Williams. Wade Phillips refused to fire members of his staff and was summarily fired. Ralph even tried to get out of paying off Wade's contract.

Pegula trusts Whaley. That's got to be the key to understanding this whole thing. At least he trusted him more than Maroon whom he obviously didn't think very much of - obviously. So when he approached his boss for a raise/promotion/extension he was rebuffed and hit the road. That says a lot. But he said a lot more on his way out the door in what appears to be a spiteful effort to sabotage the organization however he could. Contrast that trash-talk to how Chan left after he was fired. "They might be the only team I root for."

It seems Pegula put his trust in the right man - or at least he didn't put it in the obviously wrong guy.

This is my take.............

The Bills are now going with EJ in 2015 and Bill Polian wasn't happy wasting 3 or 4 games then missing the playoffs again...........period

The rest is nothing more then BS.

Pretty sure the new owner wants to win. ej will not be on the field in 2015, except maybe the last preseason game.

--

While this is true, it has happened multiple times to the Bills.

If you look deeper, it doesn't get much better. Marrone took his buy-out. Mularkey resigned. Saban resigned. Chuck Knox resigned.

Curiosities: Gregg Williams was offered a contract extension in 2002 and declined, claiming he'd rather spend 2003 as a lame duck coach. The spent their 1st round pick on a guy who'd never play a single down for Coach Williams. Wade Phillips refused to fire members of his staff and was summarily fired. Ralph even tried to get out of paying off Wade's contract.

Sort of.

Malarkey did resign, and his fate is the sort that Marrone should have considered. Do you see Mularkey on anyone's list of hot coaches to hire?

Lou Saban was a lunatic who got more loony as he got older. He quit on lots of people.

Chuck Knox didn't so much quit as walk away after the end of his original contract.

All of which is to say that if you quit before the end of your contract as a head coach, you will get a reputation for being unreliable. The Bills definitely have had plenty of front office problems, but Marrone is in danger of facing the fate of Mike Mularkey. At least he was smart/lucky enough to get that $4 million.

I always thought Ralph's evil beancounters were Littman and Overdorf, only. Littman is gone. I don't know why Overdorf is there, but it would certainly wipe some of the stink of relentless failure off if he left.

Who else is there? Berchtold? He is in media relations and it doesn't sound like his opinion of Bill Polian would matter much to anyone...including Bill Polian.

Russ? Russ never worked with him. I'd be interested to know who else around there even got to work with Polian. He's been gone 21 years!

So it was either Overdorf sabotaging him, which seems plausible, or......???????

I've been thinking the same thing other than the two guys you mentioned, who else is there?

Stop the ridiculous soap opera, already! The titles of these threads is like something from the Days of our Lives. It's simple. Marrone opted out because he was hired to revive the offense then was hamstrung by Whaley. Marrone didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the 1st round pick for Watkins. That's it. He wanted more control over these decisions and the Bills said no. I remember when EJ was drafted many posters said that he and Marrone were married to each other in terms of their future. It turns out that it was a shotgun wedding. That's it!...was it Parcells who said "if you want me to cook the meal you have to let me pick the food"?

However I am working on the theory that it was Marrone, not the North Koreans, who hacked SONY.....