Did Polian bury Marrone?

Sort of.

Malarkey did resign, and his fate is the sort that Marrone should have considered. Do you see Mularkey on anyone's list of hot coaches to hire?

Lou Saban was a lunatic who got more loony as he got older. He quit on lots of people.

Chuck Knox didn't so much quit as walk away after the end of his original contract.

All of which is to say that if you quit before the end of your contract as a head coach, you will get a reputation for being unreliable. The Bills definitely have had plenty of front office problems, but Marrone is in danger of facing the fate of Mike Mularkey. At least he was smart/lucky enough to get that $4 million.

My point was definitely not to argue that resigning an NFL HC job is seen as "cool" or whatever. Nothing of the sort was implied.

The issue is that this happens to the Bills and Marrone is not an isolated case. Like the original post said, it isn't commonplace overall. There is no reason to assume it will never happen based on that.

However, when there is a historical trend to coaches quitting or setting the table for their own dismissals, then it begs the question why? The easy approach is to blame it on the weather or Smoking Man, but the harder question is whether there is something about the organization itself that turns people off? And if so, what is it?

FWIW, here is a link to the Knox resigning bit.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19830126&id=ghweAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SWgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3377,1877716

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop the ridiculous soap opera, already! The titles of these threads is like something from the Days of our Lives. It's simple. Marrone opted out because he was hired to revive the offense then was hamstrung by Whaley. Marrone didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the 1st round pick for Watkins. That's it. He wanted more control over these decisions and the Bills said no. I remember when EJ was drafted many posters said that he and Marrone were married to each other in terms of their future. It turns out that it was a shotgun wedding. That's it!...was it Parcells who said "if you want me to cook the meal you have to let me pick the food"?

However I am working on the theory that it was Marrone, not the North Koreans, who hacked SONY.....

Fixed. ;)

My point was definitely not to argue that resigning an NFL HC job is seen as "cool" or whatever. Nothing of the sort was implied.

The issue is that this happens to the Bills and Marrone is not an isolated case. Like the original post said, it isn't commonplace overall. There is no reason to assume it will never happen based on that.

However, when there is a historical trend to coaches quitting or setting the table for their own dismissals, then it begs the question why? The easy approach is to blame it on the weather or Smoking Man, but the harder question is whether there is something about the organization itself that turns people off? And if so, what is it?

FWIW, here is a link to the Knox resigning bit.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19830126&id=ghweAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SWgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3377,1877716

I stand corrected on Knox, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Ugh. (I do have my beef with how Knox had lost the team during the strike, and how they had a habit of coming up small in random weeks which suggests coaching problems, but that's for another discussion another time...)

The question of whether there is something wrong with the organization--or people in it--is worth asking, though one can always argue about long- vs. short-term problems. Mularkey, for example, was antsy because Donohoe was being fired, which had something to do with Donohoe and something to do with Ralph and Co. I would also say Donohoe, who had almost complete control over the operations of the team, was responsible for the Williams debacle (both the beginning and the end). The Saban and Knox situations were more on Ralph and his coterie. The arrival of new ownership cleans the slate. The Pegulas are now free to make all their own mistakes.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Marrone-Jo is back! Hello Mr Sexton! Your client left time in a manner inconsistent with being a human being with any class. For that reason, I hope he never sees another NFL head coaching gig. He was a mediocre to begin with, but the bad attitude makes it untenable for anyone else to want him around.

I stand corrected on Knox, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Ugh. (I do have my beef with how Knox had lost the team during the strike, and how they had a habit of coming up small in random weeks which suggests coaching problems, but that's for another discussion another time...)

The question of whether there is something wrong with the organization--or people in it--is worth asking, though one can always argue about long- vs. short-term problems. Mularkey, for example, was antsy because Donohoe was being fired, which had something to do with Donohoe and something to do with Ralph and Co. I would also say Donohoe, who had almost complete control over the operations of the team, was responsible for the Williams debacle (both the beginning and the end). The Saban and Knox situations were more on Ralph and his coterie. The arrival of new ownership cleans the slate. The Pegulas are now free to make all their own mistakes.

No argument really. I don't tend to think of recurring issues as unfortunate, isolated events. But that's my issue. B-)

would it surprise anyone that there was some driving force for Littman to retire mid season ?

Maybe the Pegulas.

Maybe the Littman Polian situation came to light ? Is it possible that T Pegs is weeding out the old guard quietly.

Marrone may have been referencing Littman.

Just a thought or two.

Stop the ridiculous soap opera, already! The titles of these threads is like something from the Days of our Lives. It's simple. Marrone opted out because he was hired to revive the offense then was hamstrung by Whaley. Marrone didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the 1st round pick for Watkins. That's it. He wanted more control over these decisions and the Bills said no. I remember when EJ was drafted many posters said that he and Marrone were married to each other in terms of their future. It turns out that it was a shotgun wedding. That's it!...was it Parcells who said "if you want me to cook the meal you have to let me pick the food"?

However I am working on the theory that it was Marrone, not the North Koreans, who hacked SONY.....

they said no because he wasn't a good enough coach to warrant giving him more control over personnel. His control or lack thereof of the gameday 46, including being aware of who was on the field, does not show he can handle more.

Fixed. ;)

Now that's what I call a real intelligent and thought out post. Let me know when you actually have something even half way intelligent to post. Love to hear it. In the mean time keep sitting around eating your bon bons like a bored housewife and post genially dumb stuff like this. Pathetic!

Now that's what I call a real intelligent and thought out post. Let me know when you actually have something even half way intelligent to post. Love to hear it. In the mean time keep sitting around eating your bon bons like a bored housewife and post genially dumb stuff like this. Pathetic!

Bon Bons like a bored housewife? What, are you a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman from the 1950s?

You don't love to hear intelligent things, you don't even recognize them.

And you do understand when someone winks it is a joke, right?

The entire Maroon family thanks you for your support. sadly St. Doug has crawled into a pile of crap and like his gameday coaching is clueless on how to get out!

Any word on community college openings he may qualify for?

[quote name="Kelly the Dog" post="3416567" timestamp="1420905242"

And you do understand when someone winks it is a joke, right?

"A Nod is as good as a wink"

Edited by Best Player Available

I also have had trouble recognizing sarcasm.

Dont take it personal. We all have points of view. And Kelly is hardly mean spirited. Nor is Kelly pathetic

; )

Here's what I really don't get. What incentive would the Old Guard have to bash Polian in 2014, either to Marrone or in his presence? And if they did, assuming Polian was being offered a position with real power, why would he care? He'd just come in and clean house. More than that, he wouldn't need Marrone to tell him what those guys were saying. He'd already know it.

Polian is big on loyalty. Even after Ralph fired him, he finished out the season and left quietly, without badmouthing his colleagues or even Ralph. And he never did anything to hurt his old teams after he left.

When Marrone trashed the organization to him after leaving, you know that didn't sit well with as old-school a guy as Polian. I'm on board with this theory. Marrone better invest that $4M well.

I also have had trouble recognizing sarcasm.

Dont take it personal. We all have points of view. And Kelly is hardly mean spirited. Nor is Kelly pathetic

; )

While all this remains true, we still haven't answered the key question: Does Kelly like Bon Bons?

Here's what I really don't get. What incentive would the Old Guard have to bash Polian in 2014, either to Marrone or in his presence? And if they did, assuming Polian was being offered a position with real power, why would he care? He'd just come in and clean house. More than that, he wouldn't need Marrone to tell him what those guys were saying. He'd already know it.

Polian is big on loyalty. Even after Ralph fired him, he finished out the season and left quietly, without badmouthing his colleagues or even Ralph. And he never did anything to hurt his old teams after he left.

When Marrone trashed the organization to him after leaving, you know that didn't sit well with as old-school a guy as Polian. I'm on board with this theory. Marrone better invest that $4M well.

Polian's decision all goes back to the HOF; I am almost certain he doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the power jockey's....

Maybe this has already been discussed and/or reported, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Polian himself is quietly phoning the relevant parties with a negative scouting report on Marrone...due to the "loyalty" issue and what not. Or lack thereof.

The club of guys running the NFL is pretty darned small and incestuous. These guys all know each other, especially the good ones and old timers who have been around forever, like Polian.

You can be sure opinions are formed and expressed through very informal, unreported channels.

It's possible Polian has been calling around saying "you won't believe what this A-hole Marrone said to me, but watch your back if you hire the guy...he could be poisonous."

And then that in turn floats around among the various interested parties and the next thing you know, Marrone is on the outside of a very small, incestuous group, trying to get a view in.

In this way, it will be very interesting to see if he simply does not get a HC job in the weeks ahead.

1) it's not like they ever thought someone would rat them out.

2) it's probably not like they needed incentive. I imagine they were just talking to each other and rumors of Polian coming back were being talked about, and they were just telling stories about Polian being an ass to them or other people. Then Marrone just told Polian these guys were badmouthing you.

3) I agree with you. Polian probably didn't care. And most of these guys are going to be gone I assume whether he came or not. I sincerely doubt that had any affect on his decision at all.

While all this remains true, we still haven't answered the key question: Does Kelly like Bon Bons?

Polian's decision all goes back to the HOF; I am almost certain he doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the power jockey's....

The other burning question for todays readers,

Days of our Lives ?

or the Young and the Restless.

Inquiring minds want to know !

I would think Polian is above all that Hoopla and his statement was pretty much the real deal.

I also would bet he gave Kim and Terry some sound advice :thumbsup:

I'm sitting around on the couch eating them like a bored housewife watching reruns of FATHER KNOWS BEST as we speak.

And yes, I think his decision was all about the HOF too.

The other burning question for todays readers,

Days of our Lives ?

or the Young and the Restless.

Inquiring minds want to know !

I would think Polian is above all that Hoopla and his statement was pretty much the real deal.

I also would bet he gave Kim and Terry some sound advice :thumbsup:

Hmmm....Father Knows best - never would have guessed that one....

Even if Marrone called him, I'm sure we wouldn't have given his last F&*k

I am certain Polian gave them advice and may still be for all we know

I'm sitting around on the couch eating them like a bored housewife watching reruns of FATHER KNOWS BEST as we speak.

And yes, I think his decision was all about the HOF too.

agreed. While I believe he did tell Pegula what Marrone told him as this has been corroborated by various sources, I don't think it is part of the reason he did not come on board. Whether or not Polian was trying to bury Marrone by doing it, I don't know - I think it's more logical that polian had developed a professional relationship with Pegula and was passing along some "consultative" info, free of charge. Edited by YoloinOhio

agreed. While I believe he did tell Pegula what Marrone told him as this has been corroborated by various sources, I don't think it is part of the reason he did not come on board. Whether or not Polian was trying to bury Marrone by doing it, I don't know - I think it's more logical that polian had developed a professional relationship with Pegula and was passing along some "consultative" info, free of charge.

I think the real answer was the simplest answer.

Polian wanted to get in the HOF this year.

They may not have voted him in if he took a GM type role with a team.

He didn't want to come to the Bills until after Jan 31st.

Marrone quitting made the Bills need a HC and maybe a GM (although I think Whaley is safe)

Polian worried that all the media asking him on a daily basis about the coach, or the Pegula's asking him to sit in on the interviews, before Jan 31st, would or could screw up the HOF vote.

Period.

So he declined, even though I think it was just a consultant type czar role and nothing close to a GM type role.