Marrone a possible candidate for Bears?

YoloinOhio

The hyperbole on this board is out of control. I'm pretty confident that Doug Marrone's next job won't be as a D III HC. While I agree that he burned some bridges St. Doug will land on his feet.

If I had to bet, I think he is going to get a job, too. That said, there are six jobs I think. It's very easy to imagine that 1] Sexy Rexy 2] Gase 3] Quinn 4] Shanny 5] Bowles 6] then Reich, Jackson, Bevell, Larry David or Daniel Day Lewis get one. Marrone may get shut out and schit outta luck.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to bet, I think he is going to get a job, too. That said, there are six jobs I think. It's very easy to imagine that 1] Sexy Rexy 2] Gase 3] Quinn 4] Shanny 5] Bowles 6] then Reich, Jackson, Bevell, Larry David or Daniel Day Lewis get one. Marrone may get shut out and schit outta luck.

Absolutely it's possible and I thought that prior to Ryan Pace getting that GM job he was SOL. That Saints group was pretty tight as they went through the whole Katrina/post Katrina world.

Absolutely it's possible and I thought that prior to Ryan Pace getting that GM job he was SOL. That Saints group was pretty tight as they went through the whole Katrina/post Katrina world.

Each year there are a couple surprises it seems, too. Who knows. I think I want Marrone to get the jet job but I don't think he is going to.

Each year there are a couple surprises it seems, too. Who knows. I think I want Marrone to get the jet job but I don't think he is going to.

Yeah, I was hoping that he'd end up with the Jets. It would have made a great little rivalry (plus the Bills are much better). With that being said Dan Quinn feels like the favorite there.

Yeah, I was hoping that he'd end up with the Jets. It would have made a great little rivalry (plus the Bills are much better). With that being said Dan Quinn feels like the favorite there.

Yep. I think Rex goes to the Falcons. The Bears are going to be the interesting ones, if only because we have no idea what they want to do with Cutler. With the report (which I don't necessarily believe 100%) that they don't want Shanny, one could imagine they want to get rid of him.

Tim Graham says a lot of the buzz about Marrone being a HC candidate for this or that team is probably being drummed up by his agent 'leaking' things to the media. TG doesn't think many teams were interested in Marrone when we hired him. Nor does he think many teams are interested him now - despite what his agent might be leaking to sportswriters. The agent's leaked rumors are an attempt to create interest by making Marrone seem like a hot commodity, when he's actually not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marrone just sit this season out.

I don't think he'll be offered a NFL HC job or even an OC job. (Oddly, his credentials to be HC are better than his credentials to be an OC. At the Saints, he was a glorified OL coach. With us, his offenses failed miserably.)

The problem with him taking a position as a position coach is that he'd be conceding that he's not really HC material.

A desperate college team might offer a HC position but I think he thinks he's too big for that.

Tim Graham says a lot of the buzz about Marrone being a HC candidate for this or that team is probably being drummed up by his agent 'leaking' things to the media. TG doesn't think many teams were interested in Marrone when we hired him. Nor does he think many teams are interested him now - despite what his agent might be leaking to sportswriters. The agent's leaked rumors are an attempt to create interest by making Marrone seem like a hot commodity, when he's actually not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marrone just sit this season out.

I don't think he'll be offered a NFL HC job or even an OC job. (Oddly, his credentials to be HC are better than his credentials to be an OC. At the Saints, he was a glorified OL coach. With us, his offenses failed miserably.)

The problem with him taking a position as a position coach is that he'd be conceding that he's not really HC material.

A desperate college team might offer a HC position but I think he thinks he's too big for that.

I agree he seems like a decent HC ( except for his craptastic exit) but would not be a good OC. I think all the college HC jobs are filled now.

It's possible GMs might be scared off by his power play.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The hyperbole on this board is out of control. I'm pretty confident that Doug Marrone's next job won't be as a D III HC. While I agree that he burned some bridges St. Doug will land on his feet.

Doug Marrone did the right thing for him and the organization by leaving the franchise. He and Whaley had unbridgeable differences on buidling a team. While it seems that Whaley is committed to EJ it is apparent that Marrone had made a determination that EJ will never be a franchise qb, at least for him, who would give him a chance to succeed.

Marrone has strong views on players that contradict the moves that Whaley made. He disagreed with the Watkins deal, made little use of the Mike Williams acquisition and little use of Brown after the fourth round expenditure.

Putting aside the stubborn and prickly personality traits of the HC Marrone made the calculation that he had a better chance to succeed elsewhere than he did with the Bills, especially with their dire qb situation.

It seems to me that Whaley is very much invested in EJ. So much so that he is betting on a qb that many (if not most) people are understandably very skeptical of. Many people like to bash the departed HC who exercised an option that was stipulated in his contract. I have no problem with his leaving a job in which it appears that he felt that it wasn't going to work out for him.

Contrary to most others' views leaving a job for philosophical reasons, espeically when the contractual agreement allows it, it should be more graciously accepted instead of vilified. The bottom line is that his departure benefited him and the organization. Most often when the situation is unsustainable it is better to act sooner rather than later. That's exactly what he did.

Edited by JohnC

I'm not sure he lands on his feet this coaching cycle, unless as a coordinator. I see him being on the sideline this cycle, and perhaps on the nfl sidelines next year. I really don't see him with any job if Quinn takes the Jets job. But I really really hope that he ends up as the Jets coach. That would make the rivalry even better. Other option: Dallas looses this weekend, fires Garrett, we hire Garrett, and Marrone and Jerry Jones end up together :)

I honestly hope the guy gets a head coaching job so he can ruin a different NFL team.

Hopefully the JETS!

Doug Marrone did the right thing for him and the organization by leaving the franchise. He and Whaley had unbridgeable differences on buidling a team. While it seems that Whaley is committed to EJ it is apparent that Marrone had made a determination that EJ will never be a franchise qb, at least for him, who would give him a chance to succeed.

Marrone has strong views on players that contradict the moves that Whaley made. He disagreed with the Watkins deal, made little use of the Mike Williams acquisition and little use of Brown after the fourth round expenditure.

Putting aside the stubborn and prickly personality traits of the HC Marrone made the calculation that he had a better chance to succeed elsewhere than he did with the Bills, especially with their dire qb situation.

It seems to me that Whaley is very much invested in EJ. So much so that he is betting on a qb that many (if not most) people are understandably very skeptical of. Many people like to bash the departed HC who exercised an option that was stipulated in his contract. I have no problem with his leaving a job in which it appears that he felt that it wasn't going to work out for him.

Contrary to most others' views leaving a job for philosophical reasons, espeically when the contractual agreement allows it, it should be more graciously accepted instead of vilified. The bottom line is that his departure benefited him and the organization. Most often when the situation is unsustainable it is better to act sooner rather than later. That's exactly what he did.

Good post.

Does it make sense to you that Whaley wants EJ to work out and yet builds one of the worst O lines in the history of the franchise. I can see missing on players drafted because that is a crap shoot at times. But knowingly bringing in two of the very worst free agents possible in Doug Legursky, and Chris Williams. Then Colin Brown with Sam Young replacing Andy Levitre was a complete WTF moment. This was another aspect that bothered Marrone as he wanted to replace Urbik and was to no by the FO, and then started Pears at RT because he had nobody better.

That said, I'm glad Marrone is gone, and hopefully his OC & O line coach are soon history. I'm fairly certain Hackett is done because Whaley stated he wants someone who can develop EJ, and he stated Marrone failed in that aspect.

Also hopefully Whaley learned something the last two years, and makes corrections in this years free agency / draft.

I'm hoping Marrone doesn't get an NFL HCing job this year after the scathing articles about him in the NYC newspapers.

I'd love to see Marrone, Cutler and Marshall coexist!

Marshall will be inactive.

So when did Marrone interview in Chicago?

They haven't started interviewing yet. They wanted to hire their GM first, which happened today. I'm sure he has a list of HC candidates he wants to talk to, speculation is Marrone could be on it based on the time they spent working together in NO. Or maybe that means he won't be on it?

That is all fine but you left out the part where he texted goodbye to the players via HR, made no statement whatsoever to the fans who paid his salary, and bad mouthed the organization in the days following his departure. These are not things that are done or omitted by someone who is ultimately going to succeed.

He clearly had trouble dealing with multiple people while he was here and he showed no class when he left.

Marshall will be inactive.

They haven't started interviewing yet. They wanted to hire their GM first, which happened today. I'm sure he has a list of HC candidates he wants to talk to, speculation is Marrone could be on it based on the time they spent working together in NO. Or maybe that means he won't be on it?

Sean Payton thinks the world of Ryan Pace. Pace has played a HUGE role in building that Saints roster over the last decade. Payton has been a Marrone supporter (at least publicly). If Payton actually feels about Marrone as it seems he will be a strong candidate.