Tim Graham's interview on Buffalo Rumblings

Whaley is still a relatively inexperienced GM. I think if he was a long time GM then Pegula may be less involved at the outset. Both Pegula and Russ have more experience heading up professional teams. Since no one is sitting in the interviews outside of them, we will not know who was the prominent figure from the Bills standpoint. But unless they are planning on getting rid of Whaley then assume he is front and center because that HC-GM relationship will be extremely critical, especially after the events of the last week.

Good point that Whaley is young in his position. I think the Pegulas know that too. That is probably why all of these interviews are being conducted. The Pegulas, Whaley and Brandon are all going to gain some valuable experience from all of this. They are scouring the entire league and actually speaking to some of the top football minds in the world. How can they not learn from all of this. Each of them in their own way?

Maybe it's not really about who is front and center and more about rolling up their sleeves and trying to get the job done, together. Gaining experience in the hiring process and learning about the NFL and picking the brains of all of these candidates is a great bonus.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think TP is doing everything in his power to ensure that Buffalo gets the best HC available, including listening to as many people with experience as possible. It is his franchise, so I am not really going to split hairs over who should have final say. He owns the team and it really is as simple as that, however from previous interviews with the Pegulas, it does seem that they know they are not experts in all matters pertaining to football. They really have no choice but to lean on the advise of those who know football. And I am not upset that the HC will report directly to TP. That to me is TP taking ownership of his decision. That is what good leaders do. He is saying that he is responsible and I like that about him. Whether I am going to feel the same way next year remains to be seen. I guess that depends on if he made the right decision.

Time will tell but I don't think this is going to be same Old Bills going forward. I think Pegula is going about this in the right way. He will get the best possible coach and structure the FO that makes sense to even the most critical eye.

doug whaley was in the pittsburgh front office 10 years, and assistant GM here for several (and through coaching searches) and now been the GM for 2 years --- i dont know how much longer the inexperience tag lasts on the guy.

GMs typically do have that 10-15 years of personnel experience prior to getting the main GM role. I was referring to the fact that He is in his 2nd year as GM, a primary decision maker for a franchise. Compared to some other GMs in the league that is relatively inexperienced, IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

most GMs had 10-15 years of personnel experience prior to getting the main GM role. He is in his 2nd year as GM , and compared to some others in the league that is relatively inexperienced, IMO.

He started as an intern in 1995 and has been an AGM for 3 years and GM for 2.... While he's not one of the elderstatesmen of the position, this isn't nate hackett level green either. At what point would you drop the qualifier?

Whoever it was, the person used a couple of very unique "Marroneisms" that I've never seen printed anywhere, which leads me to believe that it was either him or someone very close to him.

I have a friend who was around him at SU (not a player but he was with St. Doug and the team every day) who actually told me when Marrone was hired here that the players would be hearing about "bad trees in the forest" which was one of his favorite sayings, and something Mojo44 said as well.

It's just unusual enough that it can't be a coincidence.

:lol::P

Graham did mention that Marrone's agent did a great job of hyping Marrone up (by stating the Browns were very interested in him) when the Bills were interviewing him which is why Nix/Brandon were sold on him, even though he was about the second or third coach they interviewed at that time. So, that exhaustive/leave no stone unturned search that Brandon talked about two years ago was a bunch of garbage as they were infatuated with Marrone after his interview, as well as being duped by Marrone's agent. I think what the Pegula's are doing is very smart as they are new to the game and they want to make sure they are making the right move for the franchise.

So what that they got infatuated with Marrone after his interview, isn't that how you should feel about whom you're going to hire? They didn't get duped by his agent. The team had a 90 something year old owner and it was a legitimate concern. What if the Toronto group bought the Bills don't you think Marrone would have the right to not want to be a part of that? To me it was a major concern that anyone would understand. The thought was that an owner with declining health could potentially pass away during your coaching tenure and the Bills recognized the legitimacy of the concern and gave him a 3 day opt out.

Understand that was the only reason for the opt out. They would never allow a similar opt out now that structure has been restored in terms of ownership and the team staying. Now any new coach knows what they get when signing a contract, Marrone didn't.

You're missing the point, Brandon went on emphatically two years ago that the Bills would do an exhaustive coaching search by which they would leave no stone unturned, but only interviewed about three candidates. From what Graham is saying, once Brandon and Nix interviewed Marrone, they basically stopped searching for other candidates, so in essence Brandon contradicted himself when he made that statement. The coaching search that the Pegula's are doing now is an exhaustive coaching search where they are leaving no stone unturned, which is what Brandon and Nix should have done two years ago. Tim Graham stated in his interview that Marrone's agent did a great job of marketing Marrone as well as hyping him up like he was this hot commodity that many NFL teams coveted, but in essence, Marrone was a .500 coach (meaning average) and there wasn't a market of teams vying for Marrone's services. IMO, that's duping a team.

For your other points, I agree with you about the "opt out" clause as there were a lot of uncertainties with taking the job. To me, it's not that big of a deal. The big deal to me was Brandon ranting and raving about how the Bills image has been tarnished, and he was going to leave no stone unturned, but only interviewed a few people for the job.

Very sad and also alarming if he true.

First of all, doesnt he have more important things to do besides reading message boards?

Secondly, any coach in any sport knows that no good will come from reading peoples opinions on the internet

This tells me that he must have really been insecure and also maybe in over his head

CBF

I've heard several interviews with coaches, like on ESPN radio, who say they tell their players to not look at that stuff and get worked up about it. So, Marrone does it himself?

So this has nothing to do with anything, but a friend of mine that knows I'm a Bills dropped by. He told me that a friend of his was at the Palm Beach airport and found a computer bag. He tried to give it to a security guard that wouldn't take it. He opened it, the business cards were Russ Brandon's. He called Brandon, who met him in Boca to pick up his bag. He said Brandon was a very nice guy.

If I seem to have more insight than usual it is just a coincidence.

So this has nothing to do with anything, but a friend of mine that knows I'm a Bills dropped by. He told me that a friend of his was at the Palm Beach airport and found a computer bag. He tried to give it to a security guard that wouldn't take it. He opened it, the business cards were Russ Brandon's. He called Brandon, who met him in Boca to pick up his bag. He said Brandon was a very nice guy.

If I seem to have more insight than usual it is just a coincidence.

Did your friend's friend mention whether there were any pics of Kim on the computer? Edited by WotAGuy

I can't believe our friend Mojo automatically assumed that if Marrone had stayed, the W-L would have been better considering they were going from the Big East to the ACC. Indeed, there's every reason to believe he would have gotten his ass handed to him in the short term, anyway. This was something a Syracuse writer put forth recently, Marrone NEW he was gonna have a losing record in the ACC and he would have been a sub .500 coach as a result and that's why he left.

GO BILLS!!!

Probably why he left this year from the Bills, too.

Probably why Jimmy Sexton convinced him to bail. To pick up a possible new 4-16m deal and 4m parachute instead of getting fired next year and 8m.

Well, Marrone (or someone close to him) showed up here briefly last week. "Mojo44" check it out.

Totally agree there. I'm unsure if it was him, since the guy didn't really reveal any inside info, but definitely not your average Joe schmoe TSW poster. Probably someone working under his agent.

Totally agree there. I'm unsure if it was him, since the guy didn't really reveal any inside info, but definitely not your average Joe schmoe TSW poster. Probably someone working under his agent.

the account was just created jan 3rd and it was more than a little fishy. Especially the references to the defense being "all Marrone's" and harping about how hypercritical the fans are for not appreciating him. Sounds way too much like what we keep hearing his agent spew through the likes of Schefter. Edited by YoloinOhio