No College Head Coaches?

JimBob2232

They try to keep college coaches quiet until after national signing day in mid-jan. Any sense a coach could leave heavily impacts recruiting.

Yeah, they'll probably line up a few dozen after that...

I like this guy's resume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cutcliffe He has managed to win in places were others haven't. He seems like an honorable man that seems to get the best out of rosters. He is QB centric, having worked with both Mannings and if Eli hits the market maybe Cutcliffe would make the Bills an attractive choice.

WGR had him on last year in regards to Thad Lewis and he left a favorable impression with me. Seemed like he knew his craft very well and was easy to listen to.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I like this guy's resume: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cutcliffe He has managed to win in places were others haven't. He seems like an honorable man that seems to get the best out of rosters. He is QB centric, having worked with both Mannings and if Eli hits the market maybe Cutcliffe would make the Bills an attractive choice.

WGR had him on last year in regards to Thad Lewis and he left a favorable impression with me. Seemed like he knew his craft very well and was easy to listen to.

He has done that for sure. Cutcliffe is respected.

I also like the present Oregon coach (Mark Helfrich). He seems like a guy on the verge of a big pay day either in college or the pros.

The NFL used to be viewed as a promotion. It isn't anymore. There are 20 college jobs in the top 35 HC coaching positions. You would never be able to take someone like Urban Meyer from Ohio State to the Falcons. Those jobs just aren't close in terms of exposure and the money is comparable (if not more) at those 20 or so programs. It was a different story when ND was the only team on TV. It's different now. In addition a pro coach is paid by an owner; a college coach has $ funneling in from everywhere.

You will see less and less college coaches going to the pros. Someone like Cutcliffe is a possibility at some point because as good a coach as he is (and he's fantastic) you will not be able to win a title at Duke. If he gets Braxton Miller next year though I suppose that they could compete at a very high level.

The money pouring into college football at the moment is insane and endless. If Auburn doesn't want to lose Malzahn the boosters will pay off his house (like the Bama boosters did for Saban). There are stories that out there that boosters of rival schools are pumping money into their struggling rival's programs to keep the HC in place. There was $ going from Oklahoma to Texas in the name of Mack Brown in hopes that his great fundraising would keep him in place. There are similar stories with Brady Hoke and the OSU boosters.

The bottom line is that the college game is a better game right now. It is MUCH better coached than the pro game. You see innovation and playmaking. Each game played is more important as well (not to mention the shady NFL officiating). I love the Bills but like the NFL SO much less than I used to. That combined with the exposure and the opportunity to be THE face of the team (not a QB or JJ Watt) is appealing to big time guys (see Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc...).

Cutcliffe is an intriguing option; he has managed to build a winning program at Duke, something that is certainly not easy to do. His pedigree is very QB- and offense-centric, so he would likely leave the defense to Schwartz and be very hands-off in that regard. He would, I believe, have the instant respect of his players.

Edit: and I don't believe he would leave Duke just for a coordinator position; they love him here.

Edited by eball

The NFL used to be viewed as a promotion. It isn't anymore. There are 20 college jobs in the top 35 HC coaching positions. You would never be able to take someone like Urban Meyer from Ohio State to the Falcons. Those jobs just aren't close in terms of exposure and the money is comparable (if not more) at those 20 or so programs. It was a different story when ND was the only team on TV. It's different now. In addition a pro coach is paid by an owner; a college coach has $ funneling in from everywhere.

You will see less and less college coaches going to the pros. Someone like Cutcliffe is a possibility at some point because as good a coach as he is (and he's fantastic) you will not be able to win a title at Duke. If he gets Braxton Miller next year though I suppose that they could compete at a very high level.

The money pouring into college football at the moment is insane and endless. If Auburn doesn't want to lose Malzahn the boosters will pay off his house (like the Bama boosters did for Saban). There are stories that out there that boosters of rival schools are pumping money into their struggling rival's programs to keep the HC in place. There was $ going from Oklahoma to Texas in the name of Mack Brown in hopes that his great fundraising would keep him in place. There are similar stories with Brady Hoke and the OSU boosters.

The bottom line is that the college game is a better game right now. It is MUCH better coached than the pro game. You see innovation and playmaking. Each game played is more important as well (not to mention the shady NFL officiating). I love the Bills but like the NFL SO much less than I used to. That combined with the exposure and the opportunity to be THE face of the team (not a QB or JJ Watt) is appealing to big time guys (see Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc...).

I completely agree. I think you might see an occasional college coach make the jump, but not from the top programs. In fact, there could be more pro to college moves. Would not surprised to see Chip Kelly return to college in a year or two.

Unless he has told everyone he is not leaving Duke, I really don't understand how he is not being looked at by most teams in search of a coach. The perfect fit for him is actually Atlanta, given his southern roots and qb in place there. Based on the situation, he would work here as any young, first time coach would have backlash from those who wanted Schwartz, especially Schwartz. Not to mention, the guy flat out knows how to manage game situations, just watch the Duke-ASU bowl game from last month....Duke is totally over matched from a talent perspective...he keeps his team in game, they take lead in final minutes, only to have kick return take away victory, then puts together a final drive and almost steals back. He knows how to manage the clock, when to punt, and to have Schwartz as (new title--associate head coach) defense, would allow him to concentrate on his side of the ball.