Package Deal? (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to witness the Shanny-Shanny and Haslett show with the Redskins and it sucked.

The lesson learned is never hire a coach that will not fire an assistant no matter how bad he is.

Kyle was awful but dad could not cut the ties. Be very careful what you ask for here. Of all of the

coaching options available, this is the worst one. We will not bring up the RG3 development issue.

You take away the two Superbowl seasons from Shanahan and he is just a .500 coach.

Edited by VADC Bills

Or maybe he simply requested that teams interview his son - he probably wants to get Kyle on the interview circuit.

Not questioning, but is there a link to this not being a package deal?

not sure if it's being discussed in other threads, but word is these 2 are not a package deal. Kyle is doing his own thing. I was hoping the Bills interviewing Kyle was because his dad wanted him to be OC for him in Buffalo. then came the news that Mike might be coming in as GM and Kyle as HC and I almost lost my lunch. but now the word is Kyle is not a package deal with his dad which would mean the Bills really are looking at Kyle as HC which must mean after meeting with Mike he probably told him he wouldn't take the job but maybe his son would

Same. Is there a link?

Shanahan and Cutler want to reunite.

Id be okay with this.

Agreed. Hopefully, they can recapture the magic of their 17-20 record together. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CutlJa00.htm

I was big on the Shanahan bandwagon the first time. I still think he is about as good of an offensive coach as there is. But if he really wants to be our coach, no Cutler. Why people still think he is good is crazy to me. It's as dumb as thinking after 9 years Orton was good enough.

Let Shanahan work with Manuel or select any other QB besides Cutler.

This is where I'm at as well. Mike as HC and Kyle as OC I'm totally cool with. Mike as president or GM and Kyle as HC sounds like a non starter to me.

Yeah.... I don't know what qualifications Mike has to be President nor the qualifications Kyle has to be HC.

But Mike has been (past tense) a good HC in the NFL and Kyle is viewed as an up-and-coming OC that may be a HC someday. Throw in Schwartz and this could be a good coaching staff.

My concern about Shanahan is historical. Although there are several examples of coaches who went from mediocre in their first HC job to winning a SB on their second, and a couple of examples of Super Bowl coaches taking a second team to the big dance, up to know not a single SB-winning coach has managed to win a Super Bowl with a different team. Playoffs, sure, and an SB appearance or two, but no victories. Do we really think that Mike Shanahan will buck that trend?

My concern about Shanahan is historical. Although there are several examples of coaches who went from mediocre in their first HC job to winning a SB on their second, and a couple of examples of Super Bowl coaches taking a second team to the big dance, up to know not a single SB-winning coach has managed to win a Super Bowl with a different team. Playoffs, sure, and an SB appearance or two, but no victories. Do we really think that Mike Shanahan will buck that trend?

If coaches who've won before were more likely to win again, you'd think you'd see it in the numbers. But most SB's are won by first-timers. So your chances are better identifying the up-and-comer than going with a retread. Edited by PromoTheRobot

K. Shanny was so bad that he immediately landed a job with Cleveland. Go figure.

The Washington situation was unique. RGIII got injured and was never the same again. Not even close. They had to play inexperienced guys at QB most of the time.....and we know full well how well that goes.

Add in a meddling/controlling owner and you have a recipe for disaster.

Hey, I'm not saying that the Shannies are without flaws. They're not perfect. But they are royalty compared with the guys that are competing for the Bill's HC job. Anytime you want to compare M. Shanny to any of the other candidates you let me know.

What I like most about the prospect of hiring M. Shanny is that he has proven that he can outcoach and beat Belichick on a regular basis. That alone should be enough to sway you.

If you don't consider G. Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone lousy to no better than average NFL HCs then I might as well be talking to the wall. Nix was a horrible GM to boot.

it all starts with the guys who are making the important decisions. If you don't have guys who can match wits with the likes of Belichick then you might as well resign yourself to second best......or in Buffalo's case................the embarrassment of not being good enough to make the playoffs in 14 fuggin' years.

Yeah.... I don't know what qualifications Mike has to be President nor the qualifications Kyle has to be HC.

But Mike has been (past tense) a good HC in the NFL and Kyle is viewed as an up-and-coming OC that may be a HC someday. Throw in Schwartz and this could be a good coaching staff.

I would suggest that Kyle has as many qualifications (if not more) to be an NFL HC as most of the candidates the Bills interviewed so far (Reich, Gase, Quinn, Bevell, etc). Not saying he would be my #1 choice, just that he is on par with many of the other names being considered.

Somebody has to be the first to do it. Why not Shanny?

If coaches who've won before were more likely to win again, you'd think you'd see it in the numbers. But most SB's are won by first-timers. So your chances are better identifying the up-and-comer than going with a retread.

That is my inclination: to go with a first- or second-time coach. You have more potential for improvement, and less chances of diminishing returns on the scale of Parcells, Johnson, etc. Here again, though, Bills history makes one worry about the chances of picking the right up-and-comer. That's why they play the games, right?

I would suggest that Kyle has as many qualifications (if not more) to be an NFL HC as most of the candidates the Bills interviewed so far (Reich, Gase, Quinn, Bevell, etc). Not saying he would be my #1 choice, just that he is on par with many of the other names being considered.

Somebody has to be the first to do it. Why not Shanny?

Not a terrible argument, but 17 years of middling success since John Elway retired (and at least one hilarious takedown of his self-importance by Gregg Easterbrook) have made me skeptical about the Genius of Shanahan.

Living down here in MD. All we heard was RG3 24 hours a day. Have no idea what to think about this move. I know in pressers Shanny was always in defense mode.

I remember the fans calling for Kyle to be removed however dad would never fire his son...worst move possible.

Shanahan is from the beautiful Chicago inner suburb of Oak Park, Illinois (home of the greatest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the US). He went to Eastern Illinois University. Chicago is home to him as much as any place can be, and I can't imagine that if given the choice he'll choose Buffalo over one of the most historic franchises in football.

No!!! He is not as hungry as he was. We don't have Elway and Davis on the roster either. He is a .500 coach.

Edited by VADC Bills