Package Deal? (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanMi0.htm

Not sure what the definition of mediocre is. But, a 91-69 record after Elway retired using Brian Griese and Jake Plummer as QBs.Multiple playoff appearances including a 13-3 record during the same period. People also forget so quickly that he went 11-5 and had Washington in the playoffs before RG3 got hurt. Is he flawless? No! Is he a mediocre football guy? NO WAY

I guess it is how far you want to go back. From 2006-2013 his record was 48-64 with only one 10 win season-- the rest single digits. You are correct, he did fairly well from 2000-2005, but that is ten years ago since he had any real success. And I live in DC and he was an absolute disaster here-- a joke.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shanahan is from the beautiful Chicago inner suburb of Oak Park, Illinois (home of the greatest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the US). He went to Eastern Illinois University. Chicago is home to him as much as any place can be, and I can't imagine that if given the choice he'll choose Buffalo over one of the most historic franchises in football.

I agree Chicago and Cutler is his first choice. To me the whole thing though is over power and roster control and who is willing to give him more. I have no idea.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Shanahan is from the beautiful Chicago inner suburb of Oak Park, Illinois (home of the greatest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the US). He went to Eastern Illinois University. Chicago is home to him as much as any place can be, and I can't imagine that if given the choice he'll choose Buffalo over one of the most historic franchises in football.

I feel bad for Bears' fans then.

Being in the DC area. I'm tainted against both of them from the botch job they did with the handling of RGIII

In fairness, they did a great job with RG3 until the playoffs. They should have overruled the player's wishes. That field was a disgrace too.

But given his success with RG3, Elway, Jake Plummer, and his run game, Shanahan is a really good offensive coach.

Being in the DC area. I'm tainted against both of them from the botch job they did with the handling of RGIII

the medias story I heard was Shanny in SF

Being in DC I thought the same. But after seeing RGIII and his ethics and attitude this year, and the rumors that Snyder forced some things leads me to believe that it was not Shanny.

I feel bad for Bears' fans then.

After Elway left the Broncos, Shanahan's record from 2000-2006 was 70-42 (averaging 10-6 over that stretch), and the Broncos didn't have one losing season in that seven year run. They reached one AFC championship game and beat the Pats in the playoffs. The idea that he was a crappy coach without Elway is a myth. He struggled afterward and DC was difficult, but he did get to the playoffs one season, and that's saying something given the owner of that team.

Edited by dave mcbride

If coaches who've won before were more likely to win again, you'd think you'd see it in the numbers. But most SB's are won by first-timers. So your chances are better identifying the up-and-comer than going with a retread.

I think that is a little misleading. A large majority of HCs who win the SB retire after their tenure with the SB team. Also, the first-timer thing was far more prevalent in times of yore. Half of the last 12 SB winning coaches were on their 2nd (or 3rd) HC gig. Prior to that it was nearly exclusively first-timer coaches.

My concern about Shanahan is historical. Although there are several examples of coaches who went from mediocre in their first HC job to winning a SB on their second, and a couple of examples of Super Bowl coaches taking a second team to the big dance, up to know not a single SB-winning coach has managed to win a Super Bowl with a different team. Playoffs, sure, and an SB appearance or two, but no victories. Do we really think that Mike Shanahan will buck that trend?

But that's a bogus argument, because there have been coaches who have made it to the SB but lost on their second go-round, like Levy and Holmgren. A ticket to the Big Dance is enough for me; once you get there, it's anyone's game.

John Fox took two teams to the Super Bowl and is proof that talent is a big part of it.

IMO he is mediocre at BEST and makes many of the same dumb moves that Marrone did. He just has a stacked team to bail him out in Denver. For example, Fox kicked a FG TWICE in one game on 4th and goal inside the 1! I was on the Broncos boards and they erupted.

His clock management stinks. His teams don't play up to their level of talent. He is as conservative as they come. Now he has brilliantly decided to "reign it in" with his stacked offense and just run the ball and try to win games 17-14.

I hope Denver wins (mostly because I am a huge Manning fan) but they ought to be crushing teams with all the talent they have.

These two clowns ran the Redskins into the ground. If you think the Bills are dysfunctional just hire Mike and Kyle. They define dysfunctional.

Listening to talk radio every day on my commute was brutal as they documented how bad these two were in managing their duties.

Bingo! Even Cooley broke down and said how horrid their rule was over the Redskins.

Yeah.... I don't know what qualifications Mike has to be President nor the qualifications Kyle has to be HC.

But Mike has been (past tense) a good HC in the NFL and Kyle is viewed as an up-and-coming OC that may be a HC someday. Throw in Schwartz and this could be a good coaching staff.

Kyle has been an OC for 5 yrs even though he is only 35. He's been successful in Houston and Washington with those offenses. He actually squeezed blood from a turnip in Cleveland. They had very little talent on O and nothing at QB. I don't know how he'd do as a HC either but he's a pretty good OC IMO.

Kyle has been an OC for 5 yrs even though he is only 35. He's been successful in Houston and Washington with those offenses. He actually squeezed blood from a turnip in Cleveland. They had very little talent on O and nothing at QB. I don't know how he'd do as a HC either but he's a pretty good OC IMO.

I don't now what I think of him, but he did surely squeeze blood from a turnip. Crappy QB, fair runners, no Gordon most of the season, no Cameron most of the season, average replacements. He did a heck of a job even though they were lousy.

In fairness, they did a great job with RG3 until the playoffs. They should have overruled the player's wishes. That field was a disgrace too.

But given his success with RG3, Elway, Jake Plummer, and his run game, Shanahan is a really good offensive coach.

Being in DC I thought the same. But after seeing RGIII and his ethics and attitude this year, and the rumors that Snyder forced some things leads me to believe that it was not Shanny.

which goes back to my point on how they both f'd it up. They allowed the rookie to say what he wanted and didn't reign him in.

and I do agree the natural grass field in DC/MD sucks big time

Cooley said so because he was terrible and got cut. They wound up bringing him back later after that.

not really. its been long enough and Chris has really trashed the team because they SUCK

lots of DC commuters.,

Lovettsville to Mclean on a good day is 55 minutes.

I miss Czaban in the morning 6:30 to 8:00 drive.

I leave at 4 PM, so I get at least 1 good hour of "The Drive". I do wish they would cover more of the NFL and not just be the home town show.