Fred Jackson discusses Marrone vs. Hackett

5 Wide

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 runs vs Oakland.

Same pass happy O vs the Chiefs. ...who's strength is vs the pass.

Yup....genius. Held back. Obviously. Which is it?

Joe B once said early in camp in year 1 of the Marrone regime that he could see NH becoming a legit HC candidate quick if EJ pans out.

He's had to carry that around with him now for 2 years and look like an idiot so here he is in 'see I'm not alone there' mode.

Whatever Buffalo Sports media prints or tweets print it out and send to me for toilet paper.

Weren't all these genius beat reporters telling us all summer how awful EJ was?

Clearly the answer was to make things more complex and be more aggressive.

I'm now 200 percent convinced Marrone knows exactly what he's doing and he was the right man for the job.

Edited by Big Blitz

I just saw that. Now I don't know if I hate Hackett as much. it will be interesting to see if he goes with Marrone since Marrone seems to be loyal to his guys (not sure if that is true but he wanted extensions for them). If Marrone gets a new OC, then we will know he was likely handcuffing Hackett. Hackett always sounds upbeat during interviews and talks wanting to do things but it never happens.

I've always thought and said that it was Marrone's offense and Hackett was just carrying it out.

I also think that a lot of what Fred means by loving to play for Hackett was that Hackett was a fun guy to be around, and young, and excitable, and that has nothing to do with coaching ability. The entire Bills team loved to play for Dick Jauron because he was a great guy and treated them great.

I don't believe that at all. Hackett grew up around coaching, even made it his career. I think he is smart and likely able to make smarter decisions than even a good coach who hasn't yet had a chance to evaluate the talent on our roster. He is pretty young though. I don't think he's ready for the next level just yet, as in HCing. But he may be very good with the handcuffs off as an OC.

Do you get your way on every work issue?

Hackett got his way never it seemed. If Hackett was actually good he wouldnt let Marrone tell him what to do.

I like how you say "every work issue" as if it's what I said. Extremes!!!

Edited by Beef Jerky

I don't believe that at all. Hackett grew up around coaching, even made it his career. I think he is smart and likely able to make smarter decisions than even a good coach who hasn't yet had a chance to evaluate the talent on our roster. He is pretty young though. I don't think he's ready for the next level just yet, as in HCing. But he may be very good with the handcuffs off as an OC.

What you said I could believe, too. I have no idea why you said "I don't believe that at all." Nothing I said contradicts what you said one bit. I think Hackett COULD be good, i don't know that at all because I believe he was running Marrone's offense and was told what to do.

Someone ask Joe B or Rodak or whoever was there, what was so bad about EJ and the offense over the summer and during preseason games that led either them or the coaches to think being more aggressive or complex should be the way to go?

First these clowns wanted EJ benched......replaced by a retired QB....but more complex was the way to go?

I can't anymore with this crap.

Get Marrone back. Fire everyone else but Schwartz.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Hackett can do with the freedom to run HIS offense under a better offensive minded coach than Marrone. Wouldn't be surprised if he's really better than what we've seen so far. I'd hate to find out later we lost a very good up and coming OC because the dayum fool we had for a HC was holding him back the whole time.

That's what I was thinking, too. I would hate to see an up and coming coach get shafted because his hands were tied. However, I do not think he is ready for a head coaching gig just yet. I'd rather simply promote Schartz and let Hackett do his job without restrictions from a control freak. Buffalo could do all of these coaching searches and bring in a HC and still keep Hackett. A head coach like Reich, Bevell, or Gase....even Shanahan might not be a bad thing.

What I would like to see is Hackett get another shot, even if it is here. I just hope he has the good sense not to follow Marrone.

We're on the same page bro. I wouldn't have any objections to seeing what he can really do with the offense if given the freedom to run it.

If your Boss had been holding you back since college would you sit and take it? I wouldn't... The fact that Hackett seems like a yes man is disturbing.

I am not sure what you mean by "holding back." Marrone got him a job as an OC in the NFL and he was paid handsomely for it. Coordinators disagree with HCs all the time - just as employees do with employers. It is easy (from the outside looking in) to say he should have been more of a man etc.

Someone ask Joe B or Rodak or whoever was there, what was so bad about EJ and the offense over the summer and during preseason games that led either them or the coaches to think being more aggressive or complex should be the way to go?

First these clowns wanted EJ benched......replaced by a retired QB....but more complex was the way to go?

I can't anymore with this crap.

Get Marrone back. Fire everyone else but Schwartz.

Uhm, the simplified offense made sense with a 2nd year project QB. Not so much with a 10 year vet on his 6th team.