Fred Jackson discusses Marrone vs. Hackett

5 Wide

I give that about a 0% chance. I think Atlanta wants a guy who can get that team to the super bowl, not trying to get a bad team to be mediocre.

Just curious how fast the Jets cooled on Doug. Mehta's article must have done it's job.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that Hackett is young, I'd be ok with the Bills keeping him on staff, but as assistant offensive coordinator, while bringing in an experienced OC to run the show. Hackett can design some nice plays, as evident with open receivers... but he also draws up some really poor running and blocking schemes, from what I can tell (or our talent is really really bad). I think he just needs more experience, and the fact that Marrone brought him in to be the OC is just mind boggling.

Interesting but not very surprising. Hopefully Hackett gets a chance to show his stuff at his next stop. I agree with the consensus that he'll be let go from the Bills. I suppose there would be a slim chance of retaining Hackett if Schwartz was promoted to HC, but I'd still be pretty surprised by that.

Interesting but not very surprising. Hopefully Hackett gets a chance to show his stuff at his next stop. I agree with the consensus that he'll be let go from the Bills. I suppose there would be a slim chance of retaining Hackett if Schwartz was promoted to HC, but I'd still be pretty surprised by that.

If I'm the Bills, I interview Hackett pronto and ask him what he would change if he were "truly" in charge of the Bills' offense. If he is forthcoming you know you have a guy who is not worried about following Marrone. If he is evasive or gives answers like "we were headed in the right direction" then you let the new HC deal with him (i.e., fire).

this is why Marrone leaving is a positive, not a negative. This was Marrone's offense and offensive philosophy, not Hackett's. You can clearly see the ultra-conservatism in the multiple punts and 4th and short in opponents' territory. I'm all on board with continuity by making Schwartz HC and bringing in an experienced offensive coordinator. I hope the Pegulas move quickly on this.

According to Fred they all loved playing for Hackett -- absolutely sounds as though he (NH) was hamstrung by Marrone's conservatism.

Fred made the statement that NH is "a guy that likes to go big or go home...I don't know if that was always his call (what did get called)."

Pretty damning. I don't know why we wouldn't trust Fred on this.

Kinda what we were talking about last week E....not sure what Hackett can or cant be as an OC at this point cause it was all dictated by Marone.

I am okay with Nate staying or going...but i have thought since the start of the season Marone was calling the shots on offence, not Nate.

Kinda what we were talking about last week E....not sure what Hackett can or cant be as an OC at this point cause it was all dictated by Marone.

I am okay with Nate staying or going...but i have thought since the start of the season Marone was calling the shots on offence, not Nate.

Yep, sounds like you were on to something. It's odd -- the Bills' game plans never matched up with that high intensity, enthusiastic persona we saw from Hackett's interviews.

Remember the "we'll give it to CJ until he vomits" quote his first year? Then Saint Doug shut him up and shut him down.

People poo-poo'd the effect of that article. I think it did him in. About 50 red flags raised.

Plus...The Jets get ridiculed pretty often...But they're still an NFL team...They're going to do their due diligence...They know people...They're going to talk to people...They're going to try to get to the bottom of things on a decision this important...And with Marrone this is not just smoke...It's a blazing fire...The guy has issues and we've all known it here from day #1...Now...Maybe they're a bit over exaggerated in that article and that's up to the Jets to find out...But they're going to dig...And I'm guessing when they do they'll find he's not all he seems to be on the surface...We'll see... B-)

Plus...The Jets get ridiculed pretty often...But they're still an NFL team...They're going to do their due diligence...They know people...They're going to talk to people...They're going to try to get to the bottom of things on a decision this important...And with Marrone this is not just smoke...It's a blazing fire...The guy has issues and we've all known it here from day #1...Now...Maybe they're a bit over exaggerated in that article and that's up to the Jets to find out...But they're going to dig...And I'm guessing when they do they'll find he's not all he seems to be on the surface...We'll see... B-)

Every single person close to the Bills (local media as well as guys who have sources at OBD) have reacted to the story with this "I've heard the same" or "no surprise." None of it was made up, it is just a matter of whether a new team cares or not. IMO.

Well said. If they even corroborate a 1/4 of the stuff in that article, they'd be crazy to hire the guy.

I've always thought and said that it was Marrone's offense and Hackett was just carrying it out.

I also think that a lot of what Fred means by loving to play for Hackett was that Hackett was a fun guy to be around, and young, and excitable, and that has nothing to do with coaching ability. The entire Bills team loved to play for Dick Jauron because he was a great guy and treated them great.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The fascinating effect of the marrone news coming out is how it seems to have re-shaped Hackett's image. He's now a boy genius again, held back by the grinch.

i mean, 1-2 quotes wont accomplish that for the masses.

also, that hackett didnt get to do all that he wanted to doesnt mean he would have been better, just different.

some guys leave and im not too terribly curious to follow them but hackett will be one that im interested to keep an eye on due to comments like these though.

I also think that a lot of what Fred means by loving to play for Hackett was that Hackett was a fun guy to be around, and young, and excitable, and that has nothing to do with coaching ability. The entire Bills team loved to play for Dick Jauron.

i think thats probably correct.

I saw another commentary stating Marone wanted to simplify the play calling for the players. Dick Jauron wanted the same thing that led to Alex Van Pelt as OC when the existing OC quit and refused to simplify it further. That turned out less than splendid.

i mean, 1-2 quotes wont accomplish that for the masses.

also, that hackett didnt get to do all that he wanted to doesnt mean he would have been better, just different.

But what about the guy who started the thread today, telling us we would be crazy not to keep Hackett??!!

I saw another commentary stating Marone wanted to simplify the play calling for the players. Dick Jauron wanted the same thing that led to Alex Van Pelt as OC when the existing OC quit and refused to simplify it further. That turned out less than splendid.

You know what's not a simplified play? A slow-developing fake reverse throw-back screen, which we ran with no success every game this year.

In all seriousness, I bet you are right. Hackett probably had a lot more in his book of tricks, and marrone said, "let's just run 5 plays."