Buffalo versus NY media

Vetriano

I've lived in NYC most of my life, a devout Bills fan since the late 80s. I look at two bills drive way too much, and find it interesting when people comment that certain players or coaches couldn't handle the "big city" media. I think there are much more distractions in the big markets, ie Yankees, mets, basketball, another football team( giants)', tennis, marathons or millions of people who could care less about the athletics surrounding them. My point is I think Buffalo, and smaller markets are much more intense, the local population seems much more invested emotionally in the product and the media is most likely consumed by a higher percentage of passionate fans. My question, which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

I've lived in NYC most of my life, a devout Bills fan since the late 80s. I look at two bills drive way too much, and find it interesting when people comment that certain players or coaches couldn't handle the "big city" media. I think there are much more distractions in the big markets, ie Yankees, mets, basketball, another football team( giants)', tennis, marathons or millions of people who could care less about the athletics surrounding them. My point is I think Buffalo, and smaller markets are much more intense, the local population seems much more invested emotionally in the product and the media is most likely consumed by a higher percentage of passionate fans. My question, which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

The NYC media is tougher, there is more of it and when you are in NY you become fodder for the national media as well. Don't be fooled by the passion on TSW it's not like that everywhere in Bills country. I tailgate with 20-30 long-time and passionate season ticket holding Bills fans with a wide age range and they don't listen to WGR and none of them visit websites to read up on the Bills. Some of them get texts. There is a phenomenon of people moving away from Buffalo and becoming far more interested in the Bills. The percentage of out of town folks here is high. Not sure why it is but as they can tell you, the locals take it for granted. I wish I could say it's more rabid but Bills games have become more of an event to attend than a contest.

which media is tougher buffalo or NY? I vote buffalo.

I'd say Buffalo because of the limited number of legitimate media outlets. The Buffalo Snooze and.....the Buffalo Snooze. The BN gets to drive the conversation and buzzing flys like 'GR are just an afterthought.

NYC's vastly larger media market has so many "voices" that it tends to drown out the "conversation" to the point it becomes background noise.

I would also say Buffalo. It seems like a lot of pressure. As annoying as it is to read the whiny drivel from Sullivan as a fan, I imagine it's much more irritating when it's you that he's talking about.

Ever go to a really small town and see their local paper has almost Onion-like headlines like "Jerry is banned from Big Lots" or "Marty got married"? When there's nothing else to really talk about, you have to talk about something. So the Bills get a lot of scrutiny. And there's that in NYC, but there's also other news stories besides the NFL.

Plus, they have more teams to complain about. We have the Bills and sometimes the Hockey Bills.

No one in Buffalo media breaks any news regarding the Bills.

The Bills beat reporters have no sources and know when the fans do.

The Buffalo media is not respected by the Bills. Local reporters are an afterthought.

The Daily News story, Adam Schefter ... Etc. The stories don't come from Buffalo media.

Hopefully you have all noticed that TWS links a lot of Syracuse Post-Standard news articles about the Buffalo Bills. If you want to know anything about the Buffalo Bills, then follow the Syracuse media. If you want to know anything about the Buffalo Bills, talk to a Bills fan from Syracuse.

The NYC media is tougher, there is more of it and when you are in NY you become fodder for the national media as well. Don't be fooled by the passion on TSW it's not like that everywhere in Bills country. I tailgate with 20-30 long-time and passionate season ticket holding Bills fans with a wide age range and they don't listen to WGR and none of them visit websites to read up on the Bills. Some of them get texts. There is a phenomenon of people moving away from Buffalo and becoming far more interested in the Bills. The percentage of out of town folks here is high. Not sure why it is but as they can tell you, the locals take it for granted. I wish I could say it's more rabid but Bills games have become more of an event to attend than a contest.

I found that. Hell, I found a LARGE portion of NE fans at our game when I came this fall.

By the same token, I had a fun and relatively undisturbed time at MetLife stadium this year, :D . So it kind of depends on how a fan base is feeling at any particular time. Bills fans want the playoffs so badly, but the wider community hasn't all jumped back on the bandwagon in the way they will once it happens.

By way of comparison, the Cleveland area media are also perceived as "difficult" by the team.

And we've seen how the coaches even on winning teams have a hard time dealing with the media in their home towns, ie: Bellicheck and the Boston media.

I think the most effective coaches learn to tune it out. If the story about Marrone reacting to the media is true, then he's in for a rough time in NY if he takes the Jets job.

By way of comparison, the Cleveland area media are also perceived as "difficult" by the team.

And we've seen how the coaches even on winning teams have a hard time dealing with the media in their home towns, ie: Bellicheck and the Boston media.

I think the most effective coaches learn to tune it out. If the story about Marrone reacting to the media is true, then he's in for a rough time in NY if he takes the Jets job.

Ha -the Cleveland media is not even close to difficult IMO. They are pretty fair. And the Columbus media is soft as a marshmallow. One guy in Cbus got fired for criticizing Jim Tressel back in 2011 when he was in trouble (Hooley) because the station was a partner of OSU.

I kind of agree as far as being a big fish in a small pond and therefore getting more local attention. However, if you get ripped in a Buffalo newspaper, odds are only the people in Buffalo notice. If you get ripped in a NY newspaper, you make national headlines and end up on ESPN. There may be more distractions, but once you are bad enough to rise to the top, ala the Sanchez era Jets, it becomes a major national story. Not the case with Buffalo area coverage in my opinion.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

I kind of agree as far as being a big fish in a small pond and therefore getting more local attention. However, if you get ripped in a Buffalo newspaper, odds are only the people in Buffalo notice. If you get ripped in a NY newspaper, you make national headlines and end up on ESPN. There may be more distractions, but once you are bad enough to rise to the top, ala the Sanchez era Jets, it becomes a major national story. Not the case with Buffalo area coverage in my opinion.

This

I would also say Buffalo. It seems like a lot of pressure. As annoying as it is to read the whiny drivel from Sullivan as a fan, I imagine it's much more irritating when it's you that he's talking about.

Ever go to a really small town and see their local paper has almost Onion-like headlines like "Jerry is banned from Big Lots" or "Marty got married"? When there's nothing else to really talk about, you have to talk about something. So the Bills get a lot of scrutiny. And there's that in NYC, but there's also other news stories besides the NFL.

Plus, they have more teams to complain about. We have the Bills and sometimes the Hockey Bills.

Dang it Jerry, what did you do now?

My opinion is that WNY media has been, if anything, way too timid, at least at press conferences. When one of the local jabones screws up his courage to ask even an obvious question -"Why didn't you go for it on 4th down inside of three minutes?" - he sounds apologetic. But that would be enough to put Marrone into snit mode.

Edited by yungmack

You could make an argument for sure that it's tougher in Buffalo. Actually it's the fans that make it so tough. Once the media gets their hooks into a story (i.e. not going for it 4th down, punting too much, terrible O-coordinator, etc)...the Bills fans start foaming at the mouth to villify the team & coaches...plus we focus on the negative so much due to years of- not winning enough.

So if a coach has "thin skin" ala, Marrone or Mike Mularkey...they aren't going to fare well here. Everything is so focused on the Buffalo Bills and how medicore or poor of a job they're doing. In NYC there's so much noise going on around the Jets...you have the Giants, Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, 3 NHL clubs, college teams...tons of international news stories from there. Sure there's some tough media but i think it's more diluted in NY/NJ.

Anyone that thinks he would have it easier in NYC with that press corps is simply delusional. They have ten times the reporters that WNY has, and they're all out for a good story... Preferably about the success the teams are having or which bottle of chianti they'll have with the coache's liver when he falters and doesn't produce.

Anyone that thinks he would have it easier in NYC with that press corps is simply delusional. They have ten times the reporters that WNY has, and they're all out for a good story... Preferably about the success the teams are having or which bottle of chianti they'll have with the coache's liver when he falters and doesn't produce.

It's laughable but it fits the "blame the fans" narrative. There is just simply no way possible that one can compare the two media's......the Jets haven't even hired Marrone and he's been crucified in NY worse than his lowest moments here in Buffalo. Utterly ridiculous to compare.

Completely different animals to compare.

NY media is far more inquisitive and brutal of mediocre talents. But there are a lot more distractions that athletes and coaches can use to filter all that away. They also live in far greater anonymity in NYC.

Said another way, I don't recall a Jets' player's lawn being vandalized after a boneheaded play.

Completely different animals to compare.

NY media is far more inquisitive and brutal of mediocre talents. But there are a lot more distractions that athletes and coaches can use to filter all that away. They also live in far greater anonymity in NYC.

Said another way, I don't recall a Jets' player's lawn being vandalized after a boneheaded play.

It's definitely true that there are far more local sports and entertainment distractions for football fans in NY.

But their media only appear more inquisitive because they don't have to tread lightly around the Jets/Giants organizations in fear of retribution.

The Bills organization...management and players.....has LONG manipulated the local media with access control.

The WNY media needs Bills stories to fill pages. The sports teams in NYC COMPETE for front page coverage.

If Bills players or management don't like the media here they just smile wryly and take their stories to national reporters.

We think of guys like Thurman and Andre as being close to WNY but they used to do that garbage all the time.....and in a town with respected and fair writers like Felser and Carucci, no less.

Simply put, the Bills have power in WNY. It corrupts.

The Bills have created a very sour arrangement with their own media. As such, TBN for instance has to set up a good cop/bad cop system to maintain a balance that is unnecessary in markets where the team isn't manipulative.

But even at their worst they hold back. And because they aren't Mike Lupica or Francesa or Wallace Matthews their scorn is less pointed and carries less weight.

When the NY media dislikes you...or even if they just find out something about you... it can get ugly. And personal. And they make sure the entire country hates you. No comparison between the two media contingents.

Again, forget the Buffalo media. And forget the Rochester media, too!

It's the Syracuse media that covers the Buffalo Bills the best! Both television and newsprint.

And the (we) Buffalo Bills fans in Syracuse are also the the smartest, least-delusional, level headed, Buffalo Bills fans there are.

While the fans themselves may be more engaged on a percentage basis, any city with competing newspapers will be more vicious than any city with only one. Add NY's other media outlets, multiple TV, multiple radio, etc. and there is a need to feed an insatiable beast that is the 24 hr news cycle. These outlets all compete for readers, watchers, listeners, and clicks. The Buffalo media scene is much more tame, one paper (with lapdog reporters to boot), minimal local TV bordering on none, minimal local radio (one sports driven station). There's less need to be cutthroat and everyone feels a little more safe so the mud slinging, dirt digging and overall vitriol gets toned way way down.

The Bills have created a very sour arrangement with their own media. As such, TBN for instance has to set up a good cop/bad cop system to maintain a balance that is unnecessary in markets where the team isn't manipulative.

I disagree with this, in Philadelphia you see good cop bad cop all the time - particularly on the radio. There are two competing sports talk stations who are out for blood and they each have on-air personalities who toss the teams under the bus at a moments notice. They are also balanced out by having former players as co-hosts (Keith Jones, Ike Reece, Hollis Thomas) who never really kill the teams but also give good insight. The lack of coompetition amongst the media is IMO what hurts. Philly is a one paper town as well (they have an AM and PM paper but they have the same owner) and the level of digging and scathing reporting is significantly decreased compared to radio here. The radio stations take no prisoners and regularly go after each other directly. The PM drive time host on one station made it his mission to steal market share from the opposing host (whom he hated personally) until they fired him. He talked about it all the time and made every effort to make the guy look foolish (which he was) and eventually they took the guy off the air when he had been the czar of PM drive for decades. You'd NEVER see that in Buffalo.