Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

I think people are over reacting to this a bit, but it certainly seems like Pegula has every intention of making changes in the front office. My guess is the intention was to bring in a consultant to evaluate structure and performance objectively and advise. Marrone quitting put things off a bit.

It does not seem unusual to me that a HC would not report to the GM. Marrone did not report to the GM. He reported to Brandon. I think Pegula does not trust Brandon and is not quite sure what he has in Whaley, hence the short leashes they are both on right now. None of this is unusual to me in an organization with new ownership. I am sure Pegula hoped he would just need to focus on management first, not obtaining a new HC, but that is not how events have unfolded, and he is dealing with it.

Relax people. The season has not even been over for a week yet.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows who added that. You would think the bills negotiating stance was short term, easier buyout, more money for stadium improvements, while the county and state were pulling the other way. I'm sure the county would have loved to make the lease a 19 billion dollar buyout

I think people are over reacting to this a bit, but it certainly seems like Pegula has every intention of making changes in the front office. My guess is the intention was to bring in a consultant to evaluate structure and performance objectively and advise. Marrone quitting put things off a bit.

It does not seem unusual to me that a HC would not report to the GM. Marrone did not report to the GM. He reported to Brandon. I think Pegula does not trust Brandon and is not quite sure what he has in Whaley, hence the short leashes they are both on right now. None of this is unusual to me in an organization with new ownership. I am sure Pegula hoped he would just need to focus on management first, not obtaining a new HC, but that is not how events have unfolded, and he is dealing with it.

Relax people. The season has not even been over for a week yet.

It doesn't seem like a climate to hire a head coach

Just had a bit of turmoil, hete is a gm we may have tried to show the door 3 days ago and some marketing guy wHo you will have to deal with every day. But you will report to me. We may or may not be hiring a "football czar" who will be empowered to change everything, including your employment.

I was hoping that pegula had a clear plan worked out since October and even earlier that would have moved swiftly and deliberately

Also the lack of qb and 1st rounder are very bad

Edited by May Day 10

We do need to be objective here, and the lack of a starting caliber QB or a first round pick this year would be significant negatives to any potential head coaching candidate interviewing for any NFL level posiition. Add in the circumstances of the messy divorce with Marrone and the uncertainty with the front office, and I do not think that the head coaching position with the Bills is attractive to these candidates. Will money and the charm of the Pegulas overcome all of this? Who knows.

Who knows who added that. You would think the bills negotiating stance was short term, easier buyout, more money for stadium improvements, while the county and state were pulling the other way. I'm sure the county would have loved to make the lease a 19 billion dollar buyoutIt doesn't seem like a climate to hire a head coach

Just had a bit of turmoil, hete is a gm we may have tried to show the door 3 days ago and some marketing guy wHo you will have to deal with every day. But you will report to me. We may or may not be hiring a "football czar" who will be empowered to change everything, including your employment.

I was hoping that pegula had a clear plan worked out since October and even earlier that would have moved swiftly and deliberately

Also the lack of qb and 1st rounder are very bad

Teams without turmoil are rarely looking for a HC. Also, organizations which undergo ownership change always have turmoil. Always. That said, I think you overstate the "turmoil" a bit.

As for Pegula's plan, I am quite sure he has one but is not likely to share much with us. He previously said his plan was to hire a consultant after the season to help him evaluate the organization. I suspect he was not thinking of blowing anything up given the 9/7 finish, but looking for independent advice on structure and personnel on the management side. Marrone quitting has put that on hold. The priority has to be the HC. Stay tuned in the rest.

As for the QB quitting, I must have missed the outpouring of tears and consternation around here that Orton would not be back. I think most people had already concluded an upgrade was needed. Nothing has changed. The Bills needed a QB before Orton retired.

That and didn't Polian call Ralph's daughter a name?

I'm not sure on that. I heard a story years ago that Polian wouldn't let Littman on the team plane or something like that. They were cursing each other out. I don't know all of the details and obviously it was a long time ago but there was a genuine disdain for one another. Ultimately Littman won the power struggle.

Yes, unfortunately, that's the urban legend.

Knowing Polian, I'm sure he wasn't a bit surprised by who his detractors were...so this angle is the lamest thing TG has put forth so far from his 'sources,' IMO...

Very Plausible.

but you will be told how idiotic it is to compare what Pegula does as owner of the Sabres to what Pegula does as owner of the Bills. There is a commandment on this board and you just broke it. Thou shalt not compare Sabres FO to Bills FO.

Just because you don't understand what people are trying to tell you about the Sabres and Bills situation.

Yes, unfortunately, that's the urban legend.

Knowing Polian, I'm sure he wasn't a bit surprised by who his detractors were...so this angle is the lamest thing TG has put forth so far from his 'sources,' IMO...

and Littman is gone... So who could have bad mouthed Polian that Marrone would have bothered sharing and would have made an impact? I doubt he would rat out Russ who has been a huge supporter of his, but you never know as I don't trust that weasel.

Well, IMO one would be the Ralph Wilson era. A Primer on how not too run a franchise. Plenty of downside there. owner meddling as Bills fans have seen can at times can completely destroy chemistry. That's why a coach worth his salt would not even interview with the Bills at times over the 50+ years. Some of the better Bills coaches even quit because of ownership direct involvement Chuck Knox being a prime example.

So if I understand correctly, having the Pegulae involved in hiring the HC, the face of the franchise, means they are "meddling."

I don't buy that. Nor do I think any comparison to previous ownership is valid.

GO BILLS!!!

We do need to be objective here, and the lack of a starting caliber QB or a first round pick this year would be significant negatives to any potential head coaching candidate interviewing for any NFL level posiition. Add in the circumstances of the messy divorce with Marrone and the uncertainty with the front office, and I do not think that the head coaching position with the Bills is attractive to these candidates. Will money and the charm of the Pegulas overcome all of this? Who knows.

No doubt the QB question is a concern to a prospective HC. I'd like to think our defense mitigates that on some level.

GO BILLS!!!

We have have a promising and talented young GM. It's his time for him to be the bottom line and have control of football decisions. His moves to date have been more good than bad. And we still need to see Sammy and EJ fully play out. I'd rather have DW make the coaching call than a committee with individual agendas. If this is TP's plan, I'm good with it.

So if I understand correctly, having the Pegulae involved in hiring the HC, the face of the franchise, means they are "meddling."

I don't buy that. Nor do I think any comparison to previous ownership is valid.

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt the QB question is a concern to a prospective HC. I'd like to think our defense mitigates that on some level.

GO BILLS!!!

it depends on who they are talking to and what they convey about the QB situation. They could let the HC pick his QB from the FA/trade list and tell them he's yours. This could be better than dealing with Cutler, or the Jets who don't even have a GM or a QB. We just don't know how they will present it and it's possible some candidates could look at it as an opportunity rather than a hurdle. It will also be interesting to see if Whaley insists on the HC committing to EJ. I would expect that he would only ask him to give him a fair chance in camp.

Polian called everyone a name at one time or another in the building. Sometimes in the parking lot,too! But he was far more willing to pat a guy on the back.

GO BILLS!!!

It might be that having Pegula involved in the interviews and hiring of the head coach is meant to accomplish two things, in the face of some uncertainty concerning the future of Whaley/Brandon:

1) it could be to comfort the potential candidate that no matter what either of those guys say (or what happens to them), I'm the owner and I'm telling you face to face what I'm after and what my plans are.

2) to allow Pegula to interview directly and get a feel for the candidates for this critical position, without just relying on the established management.

It seems reasonable to me, and I wouldn't characterize it as meddling, given the situation.

It might be that having Pegula involved in the interviews and hiring of the head coach is meant to accomplish two things, in the face of some uncertainty concerning the future of Whaley/Brandon:

1) it could be to comfort the potential candidate that no matter what either of those guys say (or what happens to them), I'm the owner and I'm telling you face to face what I'm after and what my plans are.

2) to allow Pegula to interview directly and get a feel for the candidates for this critical position, without just relying on the established management.

It seems reasonable to me, and I wouldn't characterize it as meddling, given the situation.

It also eliminates one of Polian's points that he didn't want to make a long term commitment to the coach. If I am correct Pegula could have the ability to make that long term commitment...

It's a no win job for whoever has to do it.

The fact that a bunch of recycled HC's are being bandied about as the leading names to assume vacant HCing duties just shows of the desperation involved.

That is just flat wrong. The guys up for the job that have interviews set up are first time HCs Quinn, Bevell, Gase and Reich, plus Schwartz. That's the complete opposite of retreads except for the in house guy. They are also interested in and reached out to McDaniels, Rex and Shanny but haven't scheduled interviews yet. I may have missed someone but the point is obvious. the first four scheduled were not retreads, they were newbies.

The only guy rumored as potential favorite is Reich

That is just flat wrong. The guys up for the job that have interviews set up are first time HCs Quinn, Bevell, Gase and Reich, plus Schwartz. That's the complete opposite of retreads except for the in house guy. They are also interested in and reached out to McDaniels, Rex and Shanny but haven't scheduled interviews yet. I may have missed someone but the point is obvious. the first four scheduled were not retreads, they were newbies.

The only guy rumored as potential favorite is Reich

One of the best things this year is that we aren't being turned down or rebuffed as we were the last few times.