Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

If true, that is just unreal.

@ByTimGraham:Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

@ByTimGraham: Everything was lined up for Polian to return to Bills just 24 hours ago. But he is a big fan of Marrone's and trusts his opinion.

According to what Mortenson quoted Polian as saying on ESPN, Polian thought he'd waltz in to an organization with the right pieces in place at QB and coach:

"

Polian told the Buffalo News he initially believed Marrone and quarterback Kyle Orton, who announced his intention to retire after 10 seasons on Monday, would still be with the team.

"Then, the quarterback goes away and the coach disappears," Polian said. "So the job, from my perspective, changed. It went from a mentoring and advising role, which would have been fun, to a real heavy lift -- hire a new coach, hire a staff, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

"The bottom line is the job description changed pretty dramatically and the most important thing is that it would have required a really long commitment to a new coach, who deserved a long commitment that I wasn't prepared to make. And that wouldn't have been fair to the organization or to whomever their new coach was. The coach is going to want to know that you're going to be there for a reasonably long time."

Sorry, Polian, but when a team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 14 years and has only had 2 winning seasons in that time, if you think it would be "light" mentoring duties you aren't being realistic. Something is amiss, and the reason they want you there is to figure out what, and fix it. If you were locked into thinking Orton is the Man at QB and Marrone is It, you aren't taking it seriously enough. If that's really what Polian thought, the Bills and the fans are far better off without him. And as Levy said, if you plan to quit in 1 year or 2 years or 3 years, you've already quit, you just don't know it.

Still, the idea that Marrone ripped the organization and dissuaded Polian on his way out the door is just....wierd.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bill Polian allowed Doug Marrone to have any impact on his decision, he's lost his ability to think football. Doug may have dropped a few "obviously" comments with a slight lisp, threw his hands in the air, and gesticulated in a moderate fashion. If that caused Bill Polian to take pause, other than to wipe Doug's drool off his sleeve, then Bill is lost.

Marrone was just denied an extension by the Pegulas and chose to walk away. Does anyone think he spoke well of them or the organization behind closed doors? How about the GM he had a horrible relationship with? Polian knew he'd be hearing a lot of negatives from Marrone when he talked to him. There might have been some specifics that concerned him, but I have trouble understanding what new information he could have gleaned. Marrone hasn't worked with the Pegulas long and any negatives about them have to be taken with a grain of salt. He'd be replacing the GM and would be in position to hire and fire those below him as he saw fit. Maybe he told him the scouting department and coaching staffs would be total tear downs and rebuilds, but that's not to be unexpected either. I am really not sure what Marrone could have said that would have dissuaded Polian if his heart was in it.

If getting to .500 in buffalo would be a miracle for him, how highly do you think he ever thought of the place/team?

I am fine with polian' view that this was too heavy a lift. The guy wanted to be a consultant, not a GM.

Agreed and I even find it ok that he had a positive opinion of Marrone. But how on Earth could he possibly think that having Kyle Orton at the helm would make for an easy job?

Agreed and I even find it ok that he had a positive opinion of Marrone. But how on Earth could he possibly think that having Kyle Orton at the helm would make for an easy job?

Maybe he was okay with Orton as a stop gap until the next sure Fire HOF QB fell into his lap. Then he would tell the bills to pick him and collect his 250k consulting fee.

IF Marrone was adamantly against the Watkins trade......what if anything will this mean for the next head coach and how he'd view Whaley and his authority?

You got a GM trading future 1st round picks without your ok?

We'll get a good yes man.

Edited by Big Blitz

I am guessing the culture will now change for sure. Wonder what Marrone said to BP maybe it was the truth!!! I Don't know what was said, BP knows what was said! Truth or not made him run like hell just like Marrone an OB KO and probley more to follow Hughs will not be back and Darious gonna run to I bet. Everybody's gonna jump ship. Maybe some fan base to..

IF Marrone was adamantly against the Watkins trade......what if anything will this mean for the next head coach and how he'd view Whaley and his authority?

Don't forget Marrone also wasn't consulted about the decision to dump Fitz.

Usually the most obvious answer is the best one. Not always, but usually.

If you accept that premise, everything that happened makes total sense. Whaley and Marrone were not arguing over what to order for lunch at St. John Fisher

That, and the "Saint Doug" story many of us thought was too outlandish to be true was actually true. That is gold.

Doesn't anyone remember marrones pre draft meeting with Watkins where he was giddy over him asking if he wanted to be a bill?

All of this speculation being passed off as information is getting ridiculous...

I am guessing the culture will now change for sure. Wonder what Marrone said to BP maybe it was the truth!!! I Don't know what was said, BP knows what was said! Truth or not made him run like hell just like Marrone an OB KO and probley more to follow Hughs will not be back and Darious gonna run to I bet. Everybody's gonna jump ship. Maybe some fan base to..

Wow

What a mess of a joke this has become!

Yep, no wonder why this organization is a joke. Run best QB and coach that have been here in years out of town on a rail. Welp, everybody got what they wanted. Back to the basement we go, and then get to hear the same whiners complain all over again. Yay!!!

Edited by old school

Yep, no wonder why this organization is a joke. Run best QB and coach that have been here in years out of town on a rail. Welp, everybody got what they wanted. Back to the basement we go, and then get to hear the same whiners complain all over again. Yay!!!

Who exactly "ran them out on a rail"?

which one is that? Flutie/Johnson and Wade Philips? It has been incredibly crappy after that era.

Doesn't anyone remember marrones pre draft meeting with Watkins where he was giddy over him asking if he wanted to be a bill?

All of this speculation being passed off as information is getting ridiculous...

No....i dont....but I'm sure he was. .and with a few other guys.

But would he trade the 1st? Was he down with that if he saw this as a little longer O rebuild? His job is at greater risk than Whaleys. Did he want another QB? Idk.

The speculation is fair bc he's gone and the 2 'faces' or architect's of the trade are still here and until we here differently will be hiring the next guy we'll fire in 2 years.

Edited by Big Blitz

I keep reading posts around here about "dysfunction" going forward. I see it just the opposite. To my mind, getting rid of Marrone lowers the level of dysfunction about 99%. And if it's true that Polian turned down a job (and it has never been confirmed that he was offered the job) based on Marrone bad-mouthing the team, then that shows evidence of grand stupidity on Polian's part, so thank you, St. Doug, for derailing that retro plan.

I think the Bills are much better off today than they were last week.

I used the word and I agree with you. I used it to echo what Marrone reportedly is telling others. But I, like you, don't see it that way. I also think we are better off. Eff Marrone.