Do Dots Connect to Polian, Reich & Rivers?

dcjoev

If Terry Pegula doesn't make Bill Cowher an offer he can't refuse, I think the possibility of Frank Reich as Buffalo's next head coach becomes very real.

From the minute he bought the team, Pegula explained the affinity he has for Buffalo. His sports and entertainment company is headquartered there, he recently purchased a large parcel of land in downtown Buffalo, and he bought the Sabres hockey team too.

Pegula was also humble in his introductory speech as Bills owner, when he said he felt connected to the late Ralph Wilson Jr. (although he never met the man).

It may be a stretch, but I can envision Pegula constructing an elaborate plan to finish the job that Buffalo's Super Bowl Teams failed to do. And what better way to do it than to bring back the guy who built those teams (Bill Polian) and hire the QB who executed the Greatest Comeback in NFL History?

Hunch #1: With Bill Polian's expected return as Buffalo's "Czar", I think Pegula will be able to soften any criticism that may come from hiring a head coach that only has experience as an assistant.

There's also the long-time connection between Polian and Frank Reich.

In addition to playing under Polian in the early 1990's, Reich left Buffalo in 1995 for Carolina, where he played 1 year under Polian, who was then General Manager of the Panthers. Polian later became President in Indianapolis and Reich followed him there as well, as Peyton Manning's QB coach, 2 years after the Colts won Super Bowl XLI.

Hunch #2:

If Pegula hired a big name coach like Cowher, he'd probably give EJ Manuel a chance to succeed or clear the decks for a journeyman signal caller like Kyle Orton. Certainly under Cowher, Buffalo would play smash mouth Steelers-style football, with a power running game and the dominant defense it currently has.

But if a cheap, inexperienced guy like Reich is hired, I think Pegula digs into his deep pockets for a proven star signal caller who is closing in on free agency. With his youth, freakish athletic ability and strong arm, I'd personally go after Cam Newton. But if all the dots get connected, my gut tells me it'll be Philip Rivers.

Now hear me out on this one...

Reich is currently offensive coordinator under Chargers head coach Mike McCoy. So trust and a relationship is already in place between Reich and his field general.

In my opinion, Rivers needs a new setting because he has spun his wheels too long with a Chargers team that has failed to take the next step.

And money talks... So, if I'm a betting man, Terry Pegula will beat San Diego's front office at bargaining table HANDS DOWN!

Last but certainly not least... Rivers would bring a gunslinger's mentality to Buffalo, with an arm that's perfectly suited to succeed in the elements and to get the ball downfield to a playmaker like Sammy Watkins.

And, of course, there's opportunity, which doesn't come around very often with true franchise quarterbacks. Just yesterday, reports surfaced that the Chargers are eager to extend Rivers' contract, which expires after next season. GM Tom Talesco said he wasn't concerned about the multitude of injuries Rivers dealt with this year and was quoted as saying he “definitely” wants him on the team because they feel he has “a number of good years left in him.”

Per NFL.com:

Chargers QB Philip Rivers will be a free agent after the 2015 season. He is set to make $15.75 million next year. Rivers turned 33 last month and has thrown 63 TDs and just 29 INTs in the last 2 seasons. Despite a litany of injuries in his career, he has never missed a start since being named San Diego's full-time starter in 2006. And much like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, Rivers has the DNA to excel as a classic pocket passer well into his thirties.

Thoughts???

Please be my guest and fire away!!

SD is a team that is a contender right now...no idea why they'd effectively give that up by trading Rivers or letting him go in fa

Yeah it all makes sense except that the Chargers aren't going to give us Rivers.

Given what we have right now, I'd love to be wrong.

If you signed him as a free agent,hHe would be 34/35? Would want ,what,20/ million a yYEAR ? Doesnt matter how much ONEY Pegulal has,there's a slalary cap, o who DONT you sign if you go after Rivers? If yo are dreaming about tgrading for him this off season...what would the Bills be able to give up?

There is just no way SD lets him leave, injured or not. They are not in rebuilding mode and rivers always plays hurt. They will rebuild when he retires. Until then he gets paid what he wants and he is one guy who would take the infamous "hometown discount." He doesn't want to take himself and his 14 kids anywhere else.

Yeah, the chargers are going to trade a pro bowl QB for...........no. They are not. No gm is trying to trade their pro bowl QB just because his contract is up after NEXT season. Unless they think Kellen Clemons can be their savior, that's not happening. They will extend rivers and keep him til his wheels fall off. They have yet to fall off.

Ps. I wish you were right, too bad it's a pipe dream

Edited by NewEra

It would certainly take a lot for the Bills to acquire Rivers by trade, but I'm sure they'd be more than willing to give up their #1 pick in 2016, if they believe he'll make them a perennial playoff contender. At 33, he's in his prime and landing him would be similar to Buffalo's luring of Drew Bledsoe away from the Patriots in 2002. I'm not sure what the figure is now, but the Bills were $17.8 million under the salary cap heading into 2014. So, with the conservative approach the Bills took to the cap, coupled with Pegula's ability to spend cash and a high future pick or two, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. San Diego may also choose to save $15 million and start its rebuilding process a year early.

Eraser is out, but my pipe dream was good while it lasted...

Bill Polian will remain at ESPN, per @mortreport. Will not be joining Bills.

(.....) But if a cheap, inexperienced guy like Reich is hired, I think Pegula digs into his deep pockets for a proven star signal caller who is closing in on free agency. With his youth, freakish athletic ability and strong arm, I'd personally go after Cam Newton. But if all the dots get connected, my gut tells me it'll be Philip Rivers.

Now hear me out on this one...

Reich is currently offensive coordinator under Chargers head coach Mike McCoy. So trust and a relationship is already in place between Reich and his field general.

In my opinion, Rivers needs a new setting because he has spun his wheels too long with a Chargers team that has failed to take the next step.

And money talks... So, if I'm a betting man, Terry Pegula will beat San Diego's front office at bargaining table HANDS DOWN!

Last but certainly not least... Rivers would bring a gunslinger's mentality to Buffalo, with an arm that's perfectly suited to succeed in the elements and to get the ball downfield to a playmaker like Sammy Watkins.

And, of course, there's opportunity, which doesn't come around very often with true franchise quarterbacks. Just yesterday, reports surfaced that the Chargers are eager to extend Rivers' contract, which expires after next season. GM Tom Talesco said he wasn't concerned about the multitude of injuries Rivers dealt with this year and was quoted as saying he "definitely" wants him on the team because they feel he has "a number of good years left in him."

Per NFL.com:

Chargers QB Philip Rivers will be a free agent after the 2015 season. He is set to make $15.75 million next year.

Thoughts???

Please be my guest and fire away!!

We may agree that Rivers could benefit by a setting other than San Diego. We may agree that the Bills would love Rivers.

What isn't clear from your post (or anything) is what would be the Chargers possible motivation in letting Rivers go? As you quote, they say they want to re-sign him. And he's currently under contract through next season so it's not as though he's available to be snatched up by a big purse. The Bills would have to engineer a trade, and the Chargers would have to perceive that trade as in their best interest.

Who is the Chargers only other QB? That would be Kellen Clemens, who last year in St Louis proved himself servicable to the point that St Louis, betting on Sam Bradford's knee, let him go in favor of Shaun Hill. And as has been pointed out here many times, both the FA crop and the draft class are slim pickin's at QB.

If Reich is hired, I'm sure he'd love to have Rivers, but I don't see what possible motivation SD would have for parting with the most important player on the team, the QB, without a solid replacement on deck.

The issue is not just who wants Rivers but where Rivers and his family want to live. San Diego is their home. Rivers is a deeply spiritual man with strong faith and strong family ties. I just don't see him leaving San Diego for Buffalo no matter how much he is offered. Also, Rivers is not even available until after next year. Between now and then we need someone, be it EJ or ? to step it up...

Edited by sandyclam