Ralph Wilson the most philanthropic man of 2014

Ralph is obviously very generous, but he also was cheap in the way he ran this franchise.

This. Not a complex issue.

The franchise suffered at the expense of profitability. He then donated a lot of those profits posthumously.

That is good if you support his charity. That is not good if you would rather just have the Bills win.

• 1 month later...

Ralph had his money tied up in this one investment he made back in 1960 so he didn't have the cash on had that other billionaires do, otherwise I think he would have made this list every year. Extremely generous and an amazing human being. We miss ya Ralph!

Great guy. While he was frugal going after coaches, he did make some splashy moves by going after Kelly, Bennett, and brining in Mario Williams and making him the highest paid defensive player. He was a great community guy though who showed great loyalty to his second-home, Buffalo.

How much of Ralph being "cheap" was him making sure he was able to keep the Bills in Buffalo? Since he made his money on the Bills, was it more risky for him to use large sums of money on coaches and other expenses that weren't also helped pay for by the league?

I honestly don't know, but it's it that hard to fathom Ralph investing a lot of money into bad coaches, stadium upgrades, and other investments, going broke, and having to sell the team?

Yes, the Bills sold for a ton of money and were valued very highly, but do we know what type of liquid assets Ralph had that he could have used if the Bills had started to lose money quickly?

I know, I have a lot of questions and did no research to find these answers. Maybe I'll try to look something up later, but these are just some things that may explain his decision making.

Ralph Wilson brought an NFL team to the city of Buffalo and the people of Western New York, and kept it here for over fifty years. He was a generous man and did so much for so many people over the years. I am not going to debate the issue of whether or not he was frugal with money he spent on the team - other than to say, IMHO, this whole concept of "Ralph was cheap" when it came to the team is a pretty simplistic view and not entirely accurate. I want to keep within the theme of this thread, So, I just want to comment on what Ralph Wilson, through his ownership of the Bills, gave to me personally: Memories - of the first game I ever attended with my father in 1968, of the defeat of Miami in 1980 and the goal posts coming down, of the Super Bowl years, of the first game I ever took my children to in 1995, of the telephone conversations with my son after every Bills game since he moved away in 2008, and too many memories in between to list here...

And those memories, as they say, are priceless.

Thank you Ralph and rest in peace...

Edited by billsfan1959

That is awesome!! I'm glad he gave to a real cause instead of a cockamamie floating park in NYC. That's reeking of pretentious waste vs actual charity

Are you kidding?? Do you know how awesome the IAC Summer Party is going to be once that thing is finished??

@BfloBizFirst Ralph Wilson ranked No. 2 in U.S. among individual donors for 2014 http://t.co/QqnGNcEA8f

2nd only to Bill and Melinda Gates

Damn, another second place finish.

I'm thankful to the Ralph for putting a football team in Buffalo, otherwise I might not gotten into football at all. I'm also thankful for everything he did to keep the Bills in Buffalo over the years, especially with the ultra-restrictive clauses on the sale of the team after his death. It's a shame that the Bills didn't win one Superbowl for him. RIP Ralph, we all miss you!