Head Coach Candidate: Gary Kubiak

Mr. WEO

That's the answer I was leading towards but curious if someone will point towards successes with others

Agreed, but figured it's a good discussion since his line schemes are part of the identity most think of with GK

Understood. And I'd welcome that change.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you Mr. WEO, Kubiak would be an improvement over Marrone... and I don't love the idea of Schwartz as HC either. However, unless Kubiak can retain Schwartz as his DC, I think we lose more with losing Schwartz than we gain with Kubiak.

I disagree. The D is stacked. The O is struggling. Therefore the O needs more talented coaching than the D. I would take Kubiak and Schwartz. If Schwartz pouts his way to the unemployment line as a result, another DC will succeed with that talent laden unit.

Well, as we are probably looking at a complete revamp of the guards, and the tackles are pretty much prototype sized, this doesn't worry me all that much. What does worry me is changing DCs and having to change those bodies to fit a scheme.

Yeah, either way the interior OL needs a complete re-vamp.

I could get down with a Gary Gibbs-style cut blocking OL. It's a shortcut to a good running game and it slows an opposing pass rush.

Kubiak is clueless on defense, though. He underachieved for years as the HC in Houston until they were able to hire Wade.

Either way, i think the formula for this team right now is trying to take the defense up one more notch and bludgeon it's way into the playoffs. To do that they have to get into the middle of the pack offensively. That SHOULD be automatic adding a guy like Kubiak.

Yeah, either way the interior OL needs a complete re-vamp.

I could get down with a Gary Gibbs-style cut blocking OL. It's a shortcut to a good running game and it slows an opposing pass rush.

Kubiak is clueless on defense, though. He underachieved for years as the HC in Houston until they were able to hire Wade.

Either way, i think the formula for this team right now is trying to take the defense up one more notch and bludgeon it's way into the playoffs. To do that they have to get into the middle of the pack offensively. That SHOULD be automatic adding a guy like Kubiak.

Agreed. But if that means changing DCs, you might get one with a philosophy that doesn't' fit the players the Bills have. I am very worried about that possibility.

Agreed. But if that means changing DCs, you might get one with a philosophy that doesn't' fit the players the Bills have. I am very worried about that possibility.

Yeah but interestingly the Lions D got A LOT better this year after Schwartz was fired.

So anyone thinking Schwartz would just continue to coordinate his defense as the HC isn't paying attention.

His DC was....I sh*t u not....Gunther Cunningham. :lol:

As retreads go, Gunther "was once a tire, and once made of rubber".

Schwartz can't be the HC. He just can't. If they have to set him free they might have to settle for promoting Donnie Henderson. Don't want to see that happen but Schwartz can't be the HC. :thumbdown:

Name a scheme we couldn't run with these guys +/- 1 or 2 role players

Yeah but interestingly the Lions D got A LOT better this year after Schwartz was fired.

So anyone thinking Schwartz would just continue to coordinate his defense as the HC isn't paying attention.

His DC was....I sh*t u not....Gunther Cunningham. :lol:

As retreads go, Gunther "was once a tire, and once made of rubber".

Schwartz can't be the HC. He just can't. If they have to set him free they might have to settle for promoting Donnie Henderson. Don't want to see that happen but Schwartz can't be the HC. :thumbdown:

The Bills D got better when Schwartz came to Buffalo, too. Remember he wasn't DC in Detroit. I don't care if a guy is strong on the offensive side, or defensive side, head coach is responsible for the entirety of the team. That's why some of these "hot" coordinators or college guys scare me.

Schwartz wouldn't be my first, or second, or third pick either. But I might take him as an option if it guaranteed keeping the defense relatively intact. I'm definately against bringing in a DC with a "system" that doesn't' fit the talent on this team.

The Bills D got better when Schwartz came to Buffalo, too. Remember he wasn't DC in Detroit. I don't care if a guy is strong on the offensive side, or defensive side, head coach is responsible for the entirety of the team. That's why some of these "hot" coordinators or college guys scare me.

Schwartz wouldn't be my first, or second, or third pick either. But I might take him as an option if it guaranteed keeping the defense relatively intact. I'm definately against bringing in a DC with a "system" that doesn't' fit the talent on this team.

Yeah that's what I said. He's not going to be the DC if he becomes the HC. And his teams quit on him. I can't even fathom what fans would do here if we had Stafford/Johnson and Suh and went 4-12. Just hard to quantify how bad he was. You gotta' be terrible to get fired by the Ford family.

The Ravens are not letting him interview with teams as of right now and it was kind of alarming how the Ravens could not run the ball effectively this year.

I wouldn't mind the choice, though you would have to check his overall health. If we bring him and retain Schwartz as the DC I think I would be excited.

I wonder what Ravens gamess u watched this season, Justin Forcett finished in top 5 in NFL in rushing yds. Imagine what Kubiak can do with Spiller and or another talented young bk.

I'm starting to like this Gary Kubiak thing more.

He's had some success with including 2 playoff wins. So he can do it.

He 's an offensive guy whose teams have good offenses.

Has a network and can hire a real NFL coaching staff. No Hacketts or Edwardses.

He's a smart offensive football guy. He coached under George Siefert, Mike Shanahan, and John Harbaugh. Steve Young's QB coach.

May not be the sexy pick, but we would have a good shot at playoffs with this guy.

I'm starting to like this Gary Kubiak thing more.

He's had some success with including 2 playoff wins. So he can do it.

He 's an offensive guy whose teams have good offenses.

Has a network and can hire a real NFL coaching staff. No Hacketts or Edwardses.

He's a smart offensive football guy. He coached under George Siefert, Mike Shanahan, and John Harbaugh. Steve Young's QB coach.

May not be the sexy pick, but we would have a good shot at playoffs with this guy.

I'll take Kubiak over Pep Hamilton, Gase, Quinn or Reich. The Bills need to be careful with these coaches that have all world talent to work with. I think we should be looking at Hue Jackson, Kubiak, McDaniels, Bevell & Rex. All these guys have won in the NFL without top rated QBs. McDaniels has experience already and has at least won games without Brady before that's why I would consider him for the job even though he works with Tom Brady.

Forget Schwartz (proven he is a good DC, no reason to waste HC on him).

Forget Reich (not proven good at anything significant yet).

Kubiak is our man. Solid offensive mind. A QB who can help EJ in a make or break season.

I always liked his offense and he knows how to run the ball. If we do get him we will need more athletic Olineman like we had with Chan and not these whales we just drafted.

Seeing the zone stretch, which has been something I have wanted here since the days of Terrell Davis, would be awesome and with Schaub probably easily had it could work out till we draft a legit QB.

right now, meaning while they are in the playoffs, after that all bets are off.

In one year he has that Raven offense in the top ten 8th & 12th from 25th & 30th, and built a solid power zone blocking scheme with Justin Forsett at RB. Flacco improved to 27 TD's - 12 INT's from 2013 with 19 TD's -22 INT's.

Yeah, so much better then Jim Caldwell did the year previous. Caldwell's offense in Detroit sucks at around 20th, and its their #1 defense keeping them afloat.

Forget Schwartz (proven he is a good DC, no reason to waste HC on him).

Forget Reich (not proven good at anything significant yet).

Kubiak is our man. Solid offensive mind. A QB who can help EJ in a make or break season.

Sorry, but Gary Kubiak is the very definition of a retread head coach. He had 8 whole years to prove his worth as a head coach and it was a totally nondescript run. The guy is wall paper and his teams played that way. When it went south, it collapsed. The Texan players literally stopped playing for him. He is an NFL offensive coordinator, that's it. He had his chance with a very long run with the Texans and it is clear as day he is not a head coach that would get you anything but mediocrity.

The Bills need to hire the best head coaching candidate out there and Kubiak is a known failure as a head coach. 1 great season and 7 "so what" ones is a bad record. The Bills need a dynamic guy who players want to play for, and come to the Bills as free agents and resign their guys who are up for contracts. That's not Gary Kubiak.

Sorry, but Gary Kubiak is the very definition of a retread head coach. He had 8 whole years to prove his worth as a head coach and it was a totally nondescript run. The guy is wall paper and his teams played that way. When it went south, it collapsed. The Texan players literally stopped playing for him. He is an NFL offensive coordinator, that's it. He had his chance with a very long run with the Texans and it is clear as day he is not a head coach that would get you anything but mediocrity.

The Bills need to hire the best head coaching candidate out there and Kubiak is a known failure as a head coach. 1 great season and 7 "so what" ones is a bad record. The Bills need a dynamic guy who players want to play for, and come to the Bills as free agents and resign their guys who are up for contracts. That's not Gary Kubiak.

This is right. Some guys are just not HC material, but make for excellent coordinators. Kubiak is one of those guys. His Texans teams had no identity and played with zero emotion. Let him design an offense but don't let him lead men into battle.