Head Coach Candidate: Gary Kubiak

Mr. WEO

I'd be happy with Kubiak and Schwartz, but not sure Schwartz would stick around if he doesn't get the HC gig. I could also live with Ryan as DC in such a case (and assuming he doesn't go to TV as has been rumored).

For Ryan is HC or ESPN talking head, he's not downgrading his title. I don't want him as HC.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Kubiak is the guy we want. He is ten times the offensive mind that pea-brained Marrone was. Schwartz is a decent DC, but he lost the locker room in Detroit and the owners took notice.

I hear you Mr. WEO, Kubiak would be an improvement over Marrone... and I don't love the idea of Schwartz as HC either. However, unless Kubiak can retain Schwartz as his DC, I think we lose more with losing Schwartz than we gain with Kubiak.

The problem with Kubiak is that he has a very specific system on offense that would require a total overhaul. I'd rather someone who can implement a versatile scheme that adapts to different opponents.

I understand the concern, but I think a total overhaul is exactly what we need. Hackett overhauled the offense at the start of 2013 when Manuel began as a starter (rapid pace, no huddle, significant read option), then overhauled it again when Manuel wasn't ready for that, then the offense needed to adapt to an incredibly immobile QB in Orton ... and now? Unless we sign a Matt Schaub or something, I'd guess another overhaul is inevitable, and I'd like to see a guy in charge who has the chops to do that. As for defense if we lose Schwartz: we have the players on that side of the ball. Folks worried when Pettine left. No problem. Any competent defensive coordinator will lead a good defense next year.

Nice try. He had 3 winning seasons in Houston. Matt Schaubb was his QB. He had 2 playoff seasons and advanced in each.

Anyone of Kubiak's stature would need to be good with EJ. That may be the sticking point. Unless we can grab Sam Bradford and pair him with Kubiak. That combo might be pretty cool. Bradford is a lot like Flacco. I like it.

I'd be happy with Kubiak and Schwartz, but not sure Schwartz would stick around if he doesn't get the HC gig. I could also live with Ryan as DC in such a case (and assuming he doesn't go to TV as has been rumored).

Schwartz is under contract for 2015. He isn't going anywhere this coming year.

The problem with Kubiak is that he has a very specific system on offense that would require a total overhaul. I'd rather someone who can implement a versatile scheme that adapts to different opponents.

Really? Like the major overhaul he did with the Ravens this year. I mean they added RB Justin Forsett, WR Steve Smith, TE Owen Daniels, TE Crockett Gilmore and RB Lorenzo Taliaferro. Toss in they lost FB Vonta Leach, WR Tandon Smith, TE Ed Dickson, OT Michael Oher. Yet somehow Flacco ended up having a career high in TD passes and passing yards. I think Kubiak is a great candidate as long as he doesn't blow up the Bills D.

Anyone of Kubiak's stature would need to be good with EJ. That may be the sticking point. Unless we can grab Sam Bradford and pair him with Kubiak. That combo might be pretty cool. Bradford is a lot like Flacco. I like it.

I like the idea of Kubiak and let's not forget about Matt Schaub, although under contract for 2015, is thought to be in a one year deal with the Raiders in the way it's structured per http://www.nfl.com/n...ear-commitment. Also that QB mentioned earlier TJ Yates is due to be an UFA. I realize people will dismiss Schaub but let's not forget Carson Palmer faltered in Oakland but became a winner again in Arizona. Maybe Schuab could do the same here or at least be a veteran backup behind EJ or a rookie QB we draft. As for Yates at the very least he could serve as our 3rd QB but think he could turn into one of those guys who knows Kubiak's system that could come in and compete with EJ and QB X (a guy we draft).

Edited by The Jokeman

The Ravens are not letting him interview with teams as of right now and it was kind of alarming how the Ravens could not run the ball effectively this year.

I wouldn't mind the choice, though you would have to check his overall health. If we bring him and retain Schwartz as the DC I think I would be excited.

Ravens couldn't run the ball? Undersized journeyman Justin Forsett ran for 1266 yards!!

If Schwartz walks if we hire someone else as HC, I think Pepper Johnson would be fine as DC. He's gotten so much production out of the defensive line. The talent was there before, but this year they were on fire!

A first time retread is the best candidate. They have experience to learn from the second time around. Unless they are clearly hardheaded. For example, I think Marrone will have the same problems everywhere and will end up a college coach where everything can go completely his way and he doesn't have to work with equal partners.

Yeah, but that's not setting the bar very high.

I'd be fine with him as OC, but all you're getting is another guy who was fired for losing too much. May not have been his fault, maybe he had poor talent, but didn't impress me as a HC

I disagree. Kubiak is the guy we want. He is ten times the offensive mind that pea-brained Marrone was. Schwartz is a decent DC, but he lost the locker room in Detroit and the owners took notice.

One thing is for certain the man knows offense, and would build a top O line and run game.

His team did get to 10-6 in 2011, and 12-4 in 2012, and he suffered a mini stroke during the week 9 game of the 2013 season. Dunno why that 2013 team was so bad, perhaps it was an injury to Arian Foster that limited him to 8 games, and Matt Schaub imploded for some reason that season 10TD's 14 INT's. Perhaps that foot injury to Schaub screwed him up.

He did build a winning offense, and with Schwartz as DC the Bills could get good very quickly.

Yeah, but that's not setting the bar very high.

I'd be fine with him as OC, but all you're getting is another guy who was fired for losing too much. May not have been his fault, maybe he had poor talent, but didn't impress me as a HC

He was fired a year after he took that team to the playoffs two years in a row, winning each year. He was fired the next year because his starting QB lost his mind and was abysmal.

I hear you Mr. WEO, Kubiak would be an improvement over Marrone... and I don't love the idea of Schwartz as HC either. However, unless Kubiak can retain Schwartz as his DC, I think we lose more with losing Schwartz than we gain with Kubiak.

Completely agree. Unless there is a particular top-level DC in Kubiak's pocket, I'd make sure the combo will work.

I don't hate the Kubiak idea, but he isn't my top, or even second, choice. But the Bills could do worse.

I think he could work with mid tiered qbs which is great -- think he could get our o line working as is, or would we be looking at a turnover to different body types?

Well, as we are probably looking at a complete revamp of the guards, and the tackles are pretty much prototype sized, this doesn't worry me all that much. What does worry me is changing DCs and having to change those bodies to fit a scheme.

His offense requires more athletic, lighter linemen.

That's the answer I was leading towards but curious if someone will point towards successes with others

Well, as we are probably looking at a complete revamp of the guards, and the tackles are pretty much prototype sized, this doesn't worry me all that much. What does worry me is changing DCs and having to change those bodies to fit a scheme.

Agreed, but figured it's a good discussion since his line schemes are part of the identity most think of with GK