Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

And not to beat this horse too much longer...

But has Gus Malhazn ever worked with a staff of coaches with MORE experience than him---and at the same or higher level? I see his DC has experience, but clearly at lesser football programs, for the most part. His OC is a kid that was a graduate assistant a few years ago.

The reason I ask is, how will be work with coaches who have been in the NFL, some perhaps with HC experience (maybe Schwartz, though I'd have to think that would be a slight to him and he's walk)? Can he take advice, or is he used to simply calling the shots? I didn't look up his entire history, so maybe some of you have this information. I assume if he comes into the NFL as a HC he will have to surround himself with assistants with a lot of NFL experience. Not knowing how these relationships might work represents another unknown with a guy like Gus. Maybe I'd be all in, if the Bills were in a rebuild mode. But not this year.

Off to the fireworks. Happy New Year to you all.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I wasn't in favor of blowing anything up -- a position I found more and more difficult to hold as the second half of the season unfolded -- but I'm not upset at all to see St. Doug go. The way he went about it, and how the Pegulas stood up to him (if the reports are true that this was a power play), give me more faith that we're still headed in the right direction. And now we can say goodbye to that terrible offensive philosophy that plagued any hope of making the playoffs this past season.

Win win for me. Good riddance, St. Doug. Can't wait to see him implode on the Jests.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 50s51 seconds ago

Multiple sources on both sides: Marrone departure stemmed from the unknown. If Pegulas bring in football czar, who is he & will they mesh?

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 2m2 minutes ago

Top source confirms: Marrone will pocket $4 million base salary for 2015 in addition to anything he makes from next employer.

Previously I said that Buffalo might not be attractive to HC candidates because we lack a proven QB.

But I've changed my mind. We're the only winning team to have a HC opening. That's gotta mean something.

Exactly:

Jets at 4-12 with uncertainty at QB

Bears at 5-11 with Cutler controversy that may have dragged down prior mgmt/coach

Falcons at 6-10 with no defense

Then there's that Bills at 9-7, with a great D, with the downside a QB need. I'd say we ought to look best!

If it was a power struggle like some have said. I liked Marrone but I like Whaley better. I think he did a good job but if one had to go I rather it was Marrone.

Whaley was worse in that he totaly let the Oline crumble and bringing in total scrubs as QBs thinking they could play and trading up for Sammy (who I like) when there plenty of WRs this yr.

I OBVIOUSLy 'will miss 'coffee with the coach'... that was the most painfully awkward thing to watch in the history of things to watch. Chris Brown avoiding eye contact with him... Marrone trying to put up a cheese ball grin and then immediately going to a tight-lipped a-hole face... that was gold baby! gold!

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 7s7 seconds ago

All Bills assistants are under contract and will be retained/fired at the pleasure of the next head coach.

Bucky Brooks@BuckyBrooks 7m7 minutes ago

My bad, I guess the @buffalobills should've committed big $ to a coach w/a 15-17 record as a pro HC; 25-25 as a college HC.. Write the check

Exactly:

Jets at 4-12 with uncertainty at QB

Bears at 5-11 with Cutler controversy that may have dragged down prior mgmt/coach

Falcons at 6-10 with no defense

Then there's that Bills at 9-7, with a great D, with the downside a QB need. I'd say we ought to look best!

Raiders and Atlanta have QBs, better off there

I think the news/rumors of people at One Bills Drive not shedding tears over St Doug leaving is extremely telling, and sense from tweets that players aren't broken up over seeing him go. Seems to me he was going to lose the team if he hadn't already. This gives a chance to bring in someone new and create a new attitude throughout the organization while building on the positives that have developed this year.

Seems to me too Brandon is gone for sure if rumors of Polian are true. Perhaps the Pegs saw through his car salesman veneer.

And one person who definitely won't be sad to see Marrone go is Hughes, maybe it increases our chances of him staying.

Whaley was worse in that he totaly let the Oline crumble and bringing in total scrubs as QBs thinking they could play and trading up for Sammy (who I like) when there plenty of WRs this yr.

Whaley drafted 3 OL players in the draft. One of them is the first 7th round pick to start all 16 games in years, and is poised to be our RT for years despite some struggles.

Urbik was a perfectly serviceable RG in years past. His regression is not Whaley's fault, at all.

That was mostly because that goober Buddy Nix was still on the payroll, and now we have heard after his contract expires he will be gone too. You know, his philosophy that OG's are a dime a dozen, any OT can slide inside and play OG, you should dfrat OG's in the mid to late rounds.

Looking like its going to be a great 2015!

Marrone decided that he was only going to stay if he got more money and power within the organization. The ownership and management wasn't prepared to fully buy into Marrone without seeing him for another season at the very least. Now Whaley gets to install a new coach and have it be his guy. While Marrone gets his money and gets to find a new opportunity and bank some money.

I have to say, I wasn't in favor of blowing anything up -- a position I found more and more difficult to hold as the second half of the season unfolded -- but I'm not upset at all to see St. Doug go. The way he went about it, and how the Pegulas stood up to him (if the reports are true that this was a power play), give me more faith that we're still headed in the right direction. And now we can say goodbye to that terrible offensive philosophy that plagued any hope of making the playoffs this past season.

Win win for me. Good riddance, St. Doug. Can't wait to see him implode on the Jests.

Totally agree. Now we need to hire Rex!! It will be like the old Belichick/Jets wars in the 90's.

And not to beat this horse too much longer...

But has Gus Malhazn ever worked with a staff of coaches with MORE experience than him---and at the same or higher level? I see his DC has experience, but clearly at lesser football programs, for the most part. His OC is a kid that was a graduate assistant a few years ago.

The reason I ask is, how will be work with coaches who have been in the NFL, some perhaps with HC experience (maybe Schwartz, though I'd have to think that would be a slight to him and he's walk)? Can he take advice, or is he used to simply calling the shots? I didn't look up his entire history, so maybe some of you have this information. I assume if he comes into the NFL as a HC he will have to surround himself with assistants with a lot of NFL experience. Not knowing how these relationships might work represents another unknown with a guy like Gus. Maybe I'd be all in, if the Bills were in a rebuild mode. But not this year.

Off to the fireworks. Happy New Year to you all.

He was a high school coach of a blue chip recruit (I think Mitch Mustain). He was hired to help recruit him (at least I think). He also created the wildcat (I think again). At any rate he was a nobody that turned out to be a genius. There was a great piece on his offense on Grantland at the beginning of the year: http://grantland.com/features/gus-malzahn-offensive-evolution/

I am not sure that he is being considered I am just saying that he would be my guy. I know that Bandit likes Briles (whom I also love). I want an offensive innovator.