Raiders interested in Russ Brandon

Jerry Jabber

I think if he leaves Buffalo it's go to the NFL office. I could see as commissioner somewhere down the road.

This is not even a little surprising. This is the exact reason that I think that his power gets shifted. He will be offered a position of high power in Pegula Sports and Entertainment or he will take a president job elsewhere. RB has a stellar reputation around pro sports for the reasons mentioned by LaCanfora.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he leaves Buffalo it's go to the NFL office. I could see as commissioner somewhere down the road.

I think that is a possibility. He has something that almost no one else has and that is universal respect from the owners. He worked as one of them for a few years and pointed up the highest price sale in league history. He is a guy that they all know and respect.

My guess is that he will be the head of a new TEAMBO (team business operations) department if he goes to the league. TEAMBO exists in the NBA & NHL and it is basically teams working together to maximize and grow their business operations. It's done through best practices, etc... The NFL always copies the NBA when it comes to the way to operate the business side. I could see them following suit here as well. RB would be the perfect person to head that up.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Really PTR? How many Toronto games did you go to ? How many did we win? I guess you like selling off home field advantage? For the almighty buck!

Oh, and he sucked as a GM at least Ralph figured that out quick.

I think it's been pretty widely reported and accepted as truth that Russ didn't feel qualified as a GM and "fired" himself -- but please continue with your rant.

The license fee part of the clubs are nonshared (roughly 1/2 the price). The boxes are close to (if not at) capacity. A new stadium presents new inventory in the form of signage, clubs, naming rights (which they could have now), parking lots, etc... Those areas and many, many more are all "sellable" inventory. We currently have an old slab stadium without the party areas and such that you can sell. It is an ENORMOUS difference.

One of the club seat issues is the location. A new stadium will allow the team to attach a license fee to the most desired inventory and develop $ that way. It's pretty long and complicated and I don't feel like typing much more but those are a few examples.

youve been hitting home runs with your replies in this thread -- i think anyone that after reading through this doesnt see what your saying just doesnt want to even if you typed out a full thesis on the topic.

really all it takes to understand the situation is realizing:

1) brandon didnt make/veto football decisions. he has been a voice in discussions, but as a high level executive and acting owner, thats always the case.

2) that by growing non-shared revenue he has both kept the team afloat AND given the guys like overdorf/littman/GMs the resources needed to make the moves they want to make (those decisions not always right, but atleast they were empowered by both his leadership and growing of resources).

theres a lot of mud and murkiness to get lost in through a decade plus, but at its core i think those are the 2 biggest issues and hes been an asset not a liability as best anyone can tell.

I think that is a possibility. He has something that almost no one else has and that is universal respect from the owners. He worked as one of them for a few years and pointed up the highest price sale in league history. He is a guy that they all know and respect.

My guess is that he will be the head of a new TEAMBO (team business operations) department if he goes to the league. TEAMBO exists in the NBA & NHL and it is basically teams working together to maximize and grow their business operations. It's done through best practices, etc... The NFL always copies the NBA when it comes to the way to operate the business side. I could see them following suit here as well. RB would be the perfect person to head that up.

would also make sense -- and would return him to having upward mobility in his career track.

Not only did he work as one of them, but also has experience as a GM, though I do think it was a more symbolic position and completely agree with eballs comment that he resigned and doubt he ever even wanted to be the GM in the first place. He probably also would be the first commissioner with a sports marketing background which when you consider the other owners biggest want it to make more money, what could be better than his background.

This is what I think. Pegula will create a role for him that includes the Bills, Sabres, Harbor Center, downtown Buffalo, One Buffalo, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the new stadium, etc. It could be a well paying great job.

It's possible that he likes the idea of the NFL more, but Oakland is where NFL people go to die.

Where do you all see Ted Black fitting into that? He has been with TPEGS longer, and you would think is closer to the Pegulas.

I have no idea, and the Bills did cost 7x the Sabres, but just curious your thoughts.

BTW, I think Russ has done an incredible job here and would hate to see him leave.

Where do you all see Ted Black fitting into that? He has been with TPEGS longer, and you would think is closer to the Pegulas.

I have no idea, and the Bills did cost 7x the Sabres, but just curious your thoughts.

BTW, I think Russ has done an incredible job here and would hate to see him leave.

I would think that Black would stay right where he is. Russ would advise him, but doesn't really need to tamper much with what Black is doing. A lot of people don't seem to like him, but I like Black.

From what I understand Black was/is in trouble. The guys from the Harbor Center (can't think of his name) was rumored to take his job prior to the sale. My guess is that they both (if they want) report to Russ. It feels to me like RB will end up as Pegula's right hand man on the business side. I kind of thought that before reading Graham's tweet. Edited by Kirby Jackson

So in your opinion repeating something long enough is then accepted as truth? Show a link where that is " truth".

I don't have a link, I'm sorry, but Russ has made comments himself to that effect over the years. He got out of that GM role as quickly as he could, and every time someone has asked him about football decisions over the last couple of years he completely defers to the GM and coach -- despite the fact that his power within the organization has increased, not decreased, since his failed stint as GM.

From what I understand Black was/is in trouble. The guys from the Harbor Center (can't think of his name) was rumored to take his job prior to the sale. My guess is that they both (if they want) report to Russ. It feels to me like RB will end up as Pegula's right hand man on the business side. I kind of thought that before reading Graham's tweet.

Interesting. You mean Koelmel? The banker guy?