Raiders interested in Russ Brandon

Jerry Jabber

That is exactly what I think. He will play the Dennis Lausha role (but Russ is about 50,000,000 times more talented).

This is what I think. Pegula will create a role for him that includes the Bills, Sabres, Harbor Center, downtown Buffalo, One Buffalo, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the new stadium, etc. It could be a well paying great job.

It's possible that he likes the idea of the NFL more, but Oakland is where NFL people go to die.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I think. Pegula will create a role for him that includes the Bills, Sabres, Harbor Center, downtown Buffalo, One Buffalo, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the new stadium, etc. It could be a well paying great job.

It's possible that he likes the idea of the NFL more, but Oakland is where NFL people go to die.

That's what I am thinking. He will work with the state, city, teams, Pegula's and just kind of be the top guy in the manifestation of OneBuffalo. Much like he was the point person for the sale, he will point up the next phase of this project. Either that or he will have a bunch of options as a team president.

As a fan, the ultimate goal is to win a superbowl. Im not privy to the inner workings of how to run an NFL franchise and i dont really care. This Bills team is far overdue. To the posters defending Russ, i cant wrap my head around where you deep profound respect for him comes from. Under his tenure, we havent even been close to the ultimate goal. I dont give a crap if he goes or stays, i want to win a superbowl, it almost seems like thats secondary to this current FO.

As a fan, the ultimate goal is to win a superbowl. Im not privy to the inner workings of how to run an NFL franchise and i dont really care. This Bills team is far overdue. To the posters defending Russ, i cant wrap my head around where you deep profound respect for him comes from. Under his tenure, we havent even been close to the ultimate goal. I dont give a crap if he goes or stays, i want to win a superbowl, it almost seems like thats secondary to this current FO.

His job is to generate nonshared revenue so that the team can close the revenue gap with larger market teams. This puts you in position to be able to chase a Mario Williams type in free agency. He has excelled in this department. In fact, he probably is considered the best in the league in this department. The Bills have an old stadium (that makes it hard to generate more revenue) and a losing team. They are at a disadvantage because of those things yet have still been able to generate what's needed to compete.

His job is to generate nonshared revenue so that the team can close the revenue gap with larger market teams. This puts you in position to be able to chase a Mario Williams type in free agency. He has excelled in this department. In fact, he probably is considered the best in the league in this department. The Bills have an old stadium (that makes it hard to generate more revenue) and a losing team. They are at a disadvantage because of those things yet have still been able to generate what's needed to compete.

Pretty straightforward. Can you wrap your head around it now?

Whatever happens, Russ is a stand up professional and a good man and he will be fine. He deserves respect for the work he has done for the business side of the franchise.

I do find it odd that the Pegulas haven't said a word since the season ended. That suggests to me that decisions about the structure of the team are on-going.

If it's only business, then why is marrone and Whaley with brandon all the time (in Brandon's words), and he is all over football ops, everything goes through him, etc. I know the amount of influence he has... is just a giant endless circle of debate here...

If brandon is effectively walled off quite obviously from football personnel. I wold be perfectly fine.

I would think without being bothered with the pesky issues of the football team every day, brandon can concentrate more to further grow the non shared revenue. The club seats do appear to be rather empty the past few seasons

Edited by May Day 10

would that qualify as better or worse than focusing on the bad of fellow fans?

Sorry if you take a personal offense. I'm just saying that only focusing on what's wrong makes people unhappy. That doesn't mean we can't do better. It's just worth maintaining perspective.

I'm old enough remember the Super Bowl run and some people then (note: SOME!) weren't much happier than now. No matter what you achieve, if you fall short of a goal some people will call it a failure.

Being a sports fan is supposed to be fun. If it's torture then why do it?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

True, but the local economy comes into play here. Club seat revenues I believe are not shared. We saw depending on the opponent hundreds if not well over a thousand empty clubs every gamel. Even the Pats* game around us there were hundreds of empty seats, a lot of the others were filled with pats* fans. Good thng they do not count against a sellout. That in a small way negates the old stadium arguement. No idea how many empty corporate boxes there are. but, I would guess they are not sold out. None of this has anythng to do with an old stadium that I Am aware of? i don't think a crappy team does either. it's the spending power in WNY.

If it's only business, then why is marrone and Whaley with brandon all the time (in Brandon's words), and he is all over football ops, everything goes through him, etc. I know the amount of influence he has... is just a giant endless circle of debate here...

If brandon is effectively walled off quite obviously from football personnel. I wold be perfectly fine.

I would think without being bothered with the pesky issues of the football team, brandon can concentrate more to further grow the non shared revenue. The club seats do appear to be rather empty the past few seasons

In all seriousness, do you truly believe that at any time in the last five years, Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley or Doug Marrone or anyone associated with the Bills said "Russ, we're drafting this guy, or trading for this guy, or hiring this guy, or installing this offense or defense, etc" that Russ said no and it didn't get done? Or anything he said about a draft pick had any genuine influence whatsoever on a decision Nix or Whaley or Marrone made that affected the team? Even once? Like they would have made a different decision but Russ Brandon's football knowledge or power persuaded the to go against their beliefs?

If the answer to that question is no, and it should be, then he had no affect whatsoever on football operations.

Even knowing that Marrone was Brandon's guy, if Nix wanted another guy he wouldn't have chosen Marrone.

I would think without being bothered with the pesky issues of the football team every day, brandon can concentrate more to further grow the non shared revenue. The club seats do appear to be rather empty the past few seasons

...because he was the acting owner for a year and a half

In all seriousness, do you truly believe that at any time in the last five years, Buddy Nix or Doug Whaley or Doug Marrone or anyone associated with the Bills said "Russ, we're drafting this guy, or trading for this guy, or hiring this guy, or installing this offense or defense, etc" that Russ said no and it didn't get done? Or anything he said about a draft pick had any genuine influence whatsoever on a decision Nix or Whaley or Marrone made that affected the team? Even once? Like they would have made a different decision but Russ Brandon's football knowledge or power persuaded the to go against their beliefs?

If the answer to that question is no, and it should be, then he had no affect whatsoever on football operations.

Even knowing that Marrone was Brandon's guy, if Nix wanted another guy he wouldn't have chosen Marrone.

I'm not so sure. If Nix knew Russ really wanted Marrone it isn't like he would feel pressure (he was halfway onto the gold course anyway) but he might have felt obliged to hire him because Russ really wanted him and was excited to work with him.

What bugs me is that Whaley did not get to hire "his" coach. That is almost always a recipe for power struggles.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'm not so sure. What bugs me is that Whaley did not get to hire "his" coach. That is almost always a recipe for power struggles.

I agree. But that is a Nix thing. He was the GM. As I stated, if Nix didn't think Marrone was the best pick, and had a different guy in mind, IMO there is zero chance he would have said yes to it.

True, but the local economy comes into play here. Club seat revenues I believe are not shared. We saw depending on the opponent hundreds if not well over a thousand empty clubs every gamel. Even the Pats* game around us there were hundreds of empty seats, a lot of the others were filled with pats* fans. Good thng they do not count against a sellout. That in a small way negates the old stadium arguement. No idea how many empty corporate boxes there are. but, I would guess they are not sold out. None of this has anythng to do with an old stadium that I Am aware of? i don't think a crappy team does either. it's the spending power in WNY.

The license fee part of the clubs are nonshared (roughly 1/2 the price). The boxes are close to (if not at) capacity. A new stadium presents new inventory in the form of signage, clubs, naming rights (which they could have now), parking lots, etc... Those areas and many, many more are all "sellable" inventory. We currently have an old slab stadium without the party areas and such that you can sell. It is an ENORMOUS difference.

One of the club seat issues is the location. A new stadium will allow the team to attach a license fee to the most desired inventory and develop $ that way. It's pretty long and complicated and I don't feel like typing much more but those are a few examples.

Can see Goodell's mitts all over this if true. Goodell isn't gonna let a dysfunctional franchise bring the NFL back to LA. No doubt that Brandon worked closely with Goodell the past couple years acting as a defacto owner. Goodell probably told Davis that only way I'm letting you into LA is if you hire someone that I trust to run things.