Russ Brandon and Marrone's Opt-Out Clause

Bills1218

I'll start by admitting that I haven't always been the biggest fan of Coach Marrone's. I love the intensity he brings to his job and his enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes his weakness at managing the play clock and pace of the game goes beyond the pale (see: punting on fourth and one, not calling a timeout when special teams took the field against the Chiefs offense, etc.).

That said, it seems he really has the Bills by the horns right now with this opt-out clause. He can use his leverage to demand a contract extension from the new regime - whatever your opinion is of Marrone, I think everyone agrees that you don't get a contract extension for peaking at 9-7 and a game out of the playoffs.

Ultimately, the fault for this situation has to lie with Brandon, as he was overseeing the football operations during the final years of Ralph's tenure, and could have held strong on offering a three-year contract that didn't give away the Bills' bargaining power.

Whatever ends up happening in the next couple days with Marrone, Whaley, et al, it's now clearer than ever before for me that Pegula needs to completely divorce Brandon from the team's football operations. Let him handle the things he's good at - namely selling tickets and marketing the franchise - but his involvement in the football operations side of things has gone on far too long. Please stop letting him completely undermine the football side of things.

I'll start by admitting that I haven't always been the biggest fan of Coach Marrone's. I love the intensity he brings to his job and his enthusiasm for the game, but sometimes his weakness at managing the play clock and pace of the game goes beyond the pale (see: punting on fourth and one, not calling a timeout when special teams took the field against the Chiefs offense, etc.).

That said, it seems he really has the Bills by the horns right now with this opt-out clause. He can use his leverage to demand a contract extension from the new regime - whatever your opinion is of Marrone, I think everyone agrees that you don't get a contract extension for peaking at 9-7 and a game out of the playoffs.

Ultimately, the fault for this situation has to lie with Brandon, as he was overseeing the football operations during the final years of Ralph's tenure, and could have held strong on offering a three-year contract that didn't give away the Bills' bargaining power.

Whatever ends up happening in the next couple days with Marrone, Whaley, et al, it's now clearer than ever before for me that Pegula needs to completely divorce Brandon from the team's football operations. Let him handle the things he's good at - namely selling tickets and marketing the franchise - but his involvement in the football operations side of things has gone on far too long. Please stop letting him completely undermine the football side of things.

I'm not in agreement that Marrone can really demand anything. He took a team with a top 3 defense to a 9-7 record and no playoff berth.

The reality is that landing a head coach with the previous ownership situation was a touchy issue--I don't think anyone of note was going to come here without some type of out clause. New owners tend to want their own people running things, which can often mean wholesale changes.

As for the opinion about Brandon, his football decisions begin and end with putting Whaley (and at least partly Marrone) in charge; everything from that point forward falls on their shoulders.

What makes you possibly think Marrone is trying to leverage a contract extension?

the possibility has been discussed on ESPN and other major sources, but not that marrones directly pushed. just that hed be a prime candidate for other jobs and he should/could force the bills hand.

i havent seen anyone report that he is doing that. though the discussions the last 24 hrs might be from info from his camp making it to the press.

I want Marrone gone. He was very snarky in that press conference where I feel the reporters were being very soft with the questions.

He acted as if he couldn't believe he was being questioned on his coaching. As if everything was going smoothly when we all saw the most pathetic offense ever by a Bills team.

I hope he leaves. I'm totally fine with Jim Schwartz taking the reigns over. Give Pepper Johnson the DC job and hire Trestman to bring in a much needed real NFL offense to the Bills.

Sure he can. What everyone here is doing is interjecting their own value of Marrone into the transaction rather than looking at it rationally. You're saying if you were the Bills you wouldn't give him a raise (based on your own value that doesn't include your checkbook). But this is really classic economics. He hasn't been fired right? So then we know that team wants him to stay. He knows that. When you're wanted and the have the ability to walk, you approach your boss and ask for a raise or if you're on a contract, and extension, right? He might overplay his hand and the Bills call his bluff, assuming he won't leave because there isn't a job for home somewhere. But that's all based on incomplete information on the Bills behalf. I were Marrone, I'd ask for one year extension with a slight raise and an option for one more year if they achieve some level of wins. It meets his need for an extension/raise and recognizes his stronger position while providing the Bills some potential good value, security, and continuity while also giving them some out.

I just never understand how everyone thinks the rules of economics and business don't apply to football and that their value of players, coaches, and administration trump common principles. I guess it's easy to have these opinions when you don't own the team and cut checks but also obvious that your more angry with the guy because of how he makes you feel when they lose than you are rational about how good he is all around as a coach.

So you don't like him because the way he acted in a friggin press conference? His demeanor doesn't suit you? Really? That's why you want him gone? Please.

I want Marrone gone. He was very snarky in that press conference where I feel the reporters were being very soft with the questions.

He acted as if he couldn't believe he was being questioned on his coaching. As if everything was going smoothly when we all saw the most pathetic offense ever by a Bills team.

I hope he leaves. I'm totally fine with Jim Schwartz taking the reigns over. Give Pepper Johnson the DC job and hire Trestman to bring in a much needed real NFL offense to the Bills.

Sure he can. What everyone here is doing is interjecting their own value of Marrone into the transaction rather than looking at it rationally. You're saying if you were the Bills you wouldn't give him a raise (based on your own value that doesn't include your checkbook). But this is really classic economics. He hasn't been fired right? So then we know that team wants him to stay. He knows that. When you're wanted and the have the ability to walk, you approach your boss and ask for a raise or if you're on a contract, and extension, right? He might overplay his hand and the Bills call his bluff, assuming he won't leave because there isn't a job for home somewhere. But that's all based on incomplete information on the Bills behalf. I were Marrone, I'd ask for one year extension with a slight raise and an option for one more year if they achieve some level of wins. It meets his need for an extension/raise and recognizes his stronger position while providing the Bills some potential good value, security, and continuity while also giving them some out.

I just never understand how everyone thinks the rules of economics and business don't apply to football and that their value of players, coaches, and administration trump common principles. I guess it's easy to have these opinions when you don't own the team and cut checks but also obvious that your more angry with the guy because of how he makes you feel when they lose than you are rational about how good he is all around as a coach.

I don't think anyone believes that the rules of economics don't apply; I do think, however, that many of us are looking at Marrone versus the crop of available coaching candidates and drawing the conclusion that he won't exactly be considered the cream of the crop among a list that includes guys like Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn, Darrell Bevell, Vic Fangio, Jack Del Rio, Adam Gase, Frank Reich, Greg Roman, Jim Tomsula, and Teryl Austin.

the possibility has been discussed on ESPN and other major sources, but not that marrones directly pushed. just that hed be a prime candidate for other jobs and he should/could force the bills hand.

i havent seen anyone report that he is doing that. though the discussions the last 24 hrs might be from info from his camp making it to the press.

God, ur worse than ESPN!!! A bunch of national idiots that know less about the bills than the average poster on this board make up some pure speculation in order to make the new coaching carousel coverage more interesting on TV. Speculation that has absolutely no basis in fact, cannot be inferred from any statement made by anyone associated with the bills, and is literally made up from a contract nuance that Marrone has shown no evidence of being interested in.

Because of this you further speculate that their made up nonsense is based on something his "camp" has leaked to the press?

Good lord, man, don't you get that they make this stuff up to get internet, print and TV traffic? Don't buy into it, or even worse, extend it with your own made up nonsense.

I'd be snarky after 17 weeks of looking at Bucky and Jerry in the front row. Seriously, I give him props for being so controlled in his responses. I think his rambling answers to simple questions is simply a tactic to take up time and keep the questions the boneheads get to ask to a minimum.

Let me understand the logic here. Two years ago, when he took over a floundering team, Marrone's crystal ball told him that if he inserted an opt out clause for ownership change into his contract, he was going to hit the jackpot in 2015 by holding the Bills hostage to a contract renegotiation?

Yes, that seems perfectly clear.....

Let me guess you don't like Russ B very much?? Considering where things were with respect to Bills long term ownership at the time of Marrone's signing, it sounds like a reasonable thing to request and agree to. A 3 day window doesn't give much time for someone to do anything within, so would have to be a really bad situation for him to take the plunge.

While you're on a roll, why not blame Russ for the 7 foot snowstorm that hit Buffalo too. Somehow he must be responsible for that too based on your line of thinking. Actually that probably has more credibility than your thoughts!

To ask for an opt-out clause with a 3 day window in the event of an ownership change seems like reasonable request.

Russ probably agreed to it because not only was it reasonable, it was also unlikely to be exercised. How many HCs actually quit? Three days doesn't give Marrone a lot of opportunity to explore options.

I'd be snarky after 17 weeks of looking at Bucky and Jerry in the front row. Seriously, I give him props for being so controlled in his responses. I think his rambling answers to simple questions is simply a tactic to take up time and keep the questions the boneheads get to ask to a minimum.

This.

Marrone's demeanor was different this past year compared to his first year. I am not surprised that he has become more guarded and grumpy for the reasons you mention.

Don't forget Timmah and Mike "Pats* fan" Rodak. The local press these teams have to deal with would drive anyone to drink.

Ever watch a Bellichick presser? I'm not sure it is a good idea to fire a coach because of the way he acts or doesn't act in a presser.