Tight end position

Codyny13

I've been pretty impressed by tight end Marquis Gray. In our search for a game breaking tight end, do you guys think it's possible we found something in Gray? He seems to have the hands and descent speed. He played well in his short time and limited knowledge of the offense. The Giants found a revelation in Donnel. Did we get lucky here?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like him, too. He fills two positional needs, FB and TE. He is kind of what Dorin Dickerson was supposed to be (who I didn't think was all that bad either, but we never got to see much of him, and I think they tried converting him to a WR under Marrone).

Might make Gragg expendable too.

Edited by Big C

1) The Giants' Larry Donnell is a FA. So is Danny Fells.

If you like them, maybe we can get them.

2) Moeki is a free agent. Fendi Onobun is, too. Lee Smith, also. :ph34r:

3) Charles Clay, Owen Daniels, Jordan Cameron, Matt Spaeth, among others are available. I don't see them being an option because of their cost and look to add someone in the 3rd or 4th who will be a better addition to this team by cost.

upgrade with Chandler. Chandler is still a big target and good in the red zone. Find someone to pair with him.

I've heard this said for the past few years. He's just not good enough. He's not a quality #1 pass catching TE and he's not a good enough blocker to be a #2 TE. Given our horrible OL, we may be stuck using him yet another year as we have too many holes to plug.

I've heard this said for the past few years. He's just not good enough. He's not a quality #1 pass catching TE and he's not a good enough blocker to be a #2 TE. Given our horrible OL, we may be stuck using him yet another year as we have too many holes to plug.

Clearly you do not know enough about the rest of the NFL. He is around average to slightly below average for the NFL as a #1.

Clearly we have different goals for the TE position on this team.

i don't think we do.

i wouldn't have minded ebron on this team. lets say we get someone like him or that kid who went to cincinatti we all liked. none of them really do well at the physical game in the end zone. chandler in the end zone is not a bad option. he is a pretty smart player.

if we got jimmy graham or gronkowski on this plan having chandler as a backup/2nd te to pair with him would be a good mismatch. an upgrade at TE puts Chandler at a bigger mismatch against the D. Better Chandler level then Lee Smith level.

i don't think we do.

i wouldn't have minded ebron on this team. lets say we get someone like him or that kid who went to cincinatti we all liked. none of them really do well at the physical game in the end zone. chandler in the end zone is not a bad option. he is a pretty smart player.

if we got jimmy graham or gronkowski on this plan having chandler as a backup/2nd te to pair with him would be a good mismatch. an upgrade at TE puts Chandler at a bigger mismatch against the D. Better Chandler level then Lee Smith level.

Well Lee Smith....

If Chandler was a better blocker I would agree 100% Right now I'd be all in on 2 guards and a QB ahead of worrying about Chandler. And not for nothing, center may be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Chandler is a solid TE... Gragg wasn't really given the chance to shine... Gray might be something, who knows. Bring an established guy in, and let it shake out during the off season with a competent (hopefully) offensive staff.

Chandler isn't that good... A reason why no one signed him last year and he came crawling back to the Bills.

i don't think we do.

Chandler basically always gets open over the middle, and from what I can tell blocks decently... yet it's because he appears slow-ish, everyone here thinks he's crap.

Chandler isn't that good... A reason why no one signed him last year and he came crawling back to the Bills.

I didn't say he was good. I said he's solid. As in he's about average... he constantly gets open, is a mismatch problem, a good redzone target, and is an ok blocker.

You don't replace someone like that, you complement. You replace Lee Smith, Gragg, or Gray. You keep productive players, and you add on top of that.

This place drives me crazy, no one values depth.

I've been harping on improving the TE the last few offseasons. To me this is the one to do it. The guy I'd go after is Jordan Cameron of the Browns. The guy was hurt last year but he's still as good as they come. For those that don't believe me read this: http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/11206/assessing-jordan-cameron-as-he-heads-to-free-agency

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2015/01/26/report-jordan-cameron-turns-6-7-million-browns/

Jordan Cameron turns down 6-7 million a year from the Browns... No one wants to be there heh.

Seriously? big mistake by him, with his concussion problems I don't see many teams giving him that kind of money.

Question to the college football buffs or Notre Dame fans, what round is Ben Koyack projected to go?

Why is everyone down on Chandler? I kinda like the Big Dummy. We may need someone to compliment him but he makes some big plays from time to time.

Chandler had a better season in 2014 than in 2013. His biggest weakness is his blocking of which was improved last year according to scouting services. He is good in the middle, but is slow on the perimeter and one wonders why he was used on those plays. He would be a good number 2. The Bills TEs including Grey and a FA? good be real weapons with Roman as OC.

Clearly you do not know enough about the rest of the NFL. He is around average to slightly below average for the NFL as a #1.

Thats exactly why he wants to upgrade. Average to below average should NEVER be untouchable on a good fb club.

A TE with concussion problems? Seems risky to me... TEs take a lot of damage.

A TE with concussion problems? Seems risky to me... TEs take a lot of damage.

three concussions in three seasons is a risk but sometimes to improve your team you have to take risks and to me risking on superior talent is always worth it. Would I give him Jimmy Graham/Gronk money? No but I think he is as good as Dennis Pitta who got a big contract from the Ravens last year and got injured. We could also play it safer and go Julius Thomas or Jermaine Gresham. As think they'd all improve the team (as I see Gresham a better #2 than Lee Smith). I also like Charles Clay but he's more of an H-back than a true TE.

three concussions in three seasons is a risk but sometimes to improve your team you have to take risks and to me risking on superior talent is always worth it. Would I give him Jimmy Graham/Gronk money? No but I think he is as good as Dennis Pitta who got a big contract from the Ravens last year and got injured. We could also play it safer and go Julius Thomas or Jermaine Gresham. As think they'd all improve the team (as I see Gresham a better #2 than Lee Smith). I also like Charles Clay but he's more of an H-back than a true TE.

Agreed. I like Clay a lot, and Roman seems to like to employ an H Back. Keep Chandler, sign Clay and keep Gray. Then when we want a Lee Smith type on short yardage, use the back-up OT for the game there.

I would be all for Jordan Cameron though, too.

Agreed. I like Clay a lot, and Roman seems to like to employ an H Back. Keep Chandler, sign Clay and keep Gray. Then when we want a Lee Smith type on short yardage, use the back-up OT for the game there.

I would be all for Jordan Cameron though, too.

Lee's an UFA. I'd prefer we just let him walk away.

This is a pretty good TE draft IMO. There will be one of Wolford, O'leary, Williams, Heurman, Funchess (hybrid WR/TE) available in the 3rd. Jmo.

Asking a 3rd round rookie TE to be an impact player is asking a lot. I like Williams' upside but he might not be NFL ready til 2017. If we're playing for the playoffs in 2015 I say add a veteran TE that I've already mentioned.

Chandler is fine as a #2, Gray as a #3 H-back type but a #1 TE is still a glaring need. It has been that way forever but I get the impression that will change this offseason. The Bills were high on Ebron last year and if they couldn't trade up he was the pick. In addition, they brought in a bunch of the top guys last year. I would expect RB and a big pass catcher (probably TE) to be the Bills 1st 2 draft picks. They will address the OL and QB with veterans IMO. They already have their young developmental prospects there.