A picture's worth 1,000 words

The Big Cat

I feel like we're not really disagreeing with each other...at all.

I am just as frustrated as everyone else here and get it, trust me, I get it. All I am saying is that particular play was no indication of poor play by Orton, but is squarely on Nathaniel "don't call my son Nate" Hackett! Watching a poorly designed and executed offense is even more frustrating when the D is playing poorly. I hope Terry and Kim are as frustrated by that p!ss poor offensive display as the rest of us. I don't think Marrone will be fired, I hope I am wrong though. But Hackett needs to go and if Marrone goes the Malarky route, so be it, good riddance.

We are not the only people who think that Hackett doesn't know what he is doing. The sequence of plays on this drive caught the attention of Gregg Easterbrook who details them in the"sour plays of the week" in his TMQ column on ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/TMQWeekSixtenn141223/nfl-team-loser-move-fans-tuesday-morning-quarterback

I really thought they were going to break one of the those 1 yard passes...damn, so close...[/sarcasm]

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just as frustrated as everyone else here and get it, trust me, I get it. All I am saying is that particular play was no indication of poor play by Orton, but is squarely on Nathaniel "don't call my son Nate" Hackett! Watching a poorly designed and executed offense is even more frustrating when the D is playing poorly. I hope Terry and Kim are as frustrated by that p!ss poor offensive display as the rest of us. I don't think Marrone will be fired. But Hackett needs to go and if Marrone goes the Malarky route, so be it, good riddance.

I really thought they were going to break one of the those 1 yard passes...damn, so close...[/sarcasm]

Can't disagree with any of this. It's a real shame that we have had to watch this offense fail on so many occasions. It's mostly a manner of out thinking themselves, which will always be the most frustrating degree of failure. This 3rd and 1 is not complicated. Against the Raiders, it's even less complicated.

The problem is that there are less than 32 Human Beings that are capable of playing QB well in the NFL.

I didn't appreciate Jim Kelly in my youth.

If the Bills ever find one of these Human Beings maybe we'll have a chance again.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Can't disagree with any of this. It's a real shame that we have had to watch this offense fail on so many occasions. It's mostly a manner of out thinking themselves, which will always be the most frustrating degree of failure. This 3rd and 1 is not complicated. Against the Raiders, it's even less complicated.

I was afraid to watch this play in All-22. I wasn't wrong. It was scary.

There were a few games were they were passing on 3rd and 1 instead of running the ball up the middle or off-tackle. Although if they did run the ball I'm sure it would have been a draw to Spiller from shotgun.

We are not the only people who think that Hackett doesn't know what he is doing. The sequence of plays on this drive caught the attention of Gregg Easterbrook who details them in the"sour plays of the week" in his TMQ column on ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/TMQWeekSixtenn141223/nfl-team-loser-move-fans-tuesday-morning-quarterback

yup..... but doug wouldnt want to take the game out of his players hands

Show me the passing lanes to ANY of those open receivers. (Not that he had one to...whoever that is at the top of the pic, I can't tell.) I never thought Orton was any good, but it's the line that's the real problem.

And if he'd passed it to the wide-open Lee, you'd just be bitching about him dumping it off.

Not when it's first and ten

GE makes a few good points there.

He's also brutally honest, and actually disgraces Hackett worse than most here.

Now it's third-and-1 at midfield. No high school coach -- no middle-school coach -- would call yet another short pass. Short pass to a receiver who was behind the line of scrimmage, swatted down by a linebacker.

The problem is that there are less than 32 Human Beings that are capable of playing QB well in the NFL.

I didn't appreciate Jim Kelly in my youth.

If the Bills ever find one of these Human Beings maybe we'll have a chance again.

Only been about 18 years since Kelly retired...It really is sad!

I'm no Orton fan, but I don't think photos like this prove much. At the moment when it is taken, Orton is fully locked on to the receiver and is in the process of delivering the ball. The other defenders no longer have any reason to stick to their receivers so it's not surprising that they are "college open". You would have to see it in real time to draw any conclusions.

I agree with this. Clearly it seems like the incorrect predictive decision, but we don't see the positioning at the time of the decision. I think Orton tends to decide early, and when he doesn't he tends to fold in the pocket feeling the pressure even before it happens.

A couple more observations on this include:

-The check down receiver in the flat would probably be stopped for no gain by the time the ball got to him, and as he is going backwards, he would be closer to the pick six defender at the time of the decision and going from past the far hash back across his body, that probably wasn't the right decision.

-The two open receivers look like they were likely not yet open at the time of the decision, so it is an anticipation thing rather than just a seeing the field thing.

-The Raiders are brining five so definitely a pretty hot read.

-At the time of the decision, he might have seen the deep safety still on the Raider's logo and much less likely to get to the route he threw then get to the receiver very open in this image but who is running straight towards the logo.

Tired of seeing screen grabs like this one:

hbmyFrW.jpg

Wow. Either guy coming across the middle possibly gets you a TD. Need a QB with who can read a defense and possesses field vision. EJ seems to lack it as well.

Wow. Either guy coming across the middle possibly gets you a TD. Need a QB with who can read a defense and possesses field vision. EJ seems to lack it as well.

Please read the entire thread.

There were a few games were they were passing on 3rd and 1 instead of running the ball up the middle or off-tackle. Although if they did run the ball I'm sure it would have been a draw to Spiller from shotgun.

I didn't get why spiller was in there either. He isn't anywhere close to Fred as a pass blocker he doesn't break tackles like Fred or boobie. Wtf were Marrone/Hackett thinking?