The QB of the Future

maverick544

Just venting here, but I have to say that Orton will be the starting QB next year starting Week 1. As much as everyone is disappointed in the team after today, it was not his fault.

Yes, he threw a few picks, but he also threw a few great passes to keep the Bills in the game. With the poor protection and some lackluster play calling, he can only do so much. EJ would have not been able to help much in this area, he would have actually looked worse.

So what is the future:

My prediction: Bills stick with Orton for Week 16, and plan for him to be a starter next year. Everyone on the board will be upset, but oh well that is going to happen anyway. ;)

EJ is going to try to compete and the media will spin it up, but even if he is "beating" out Orton in practice. The preseason will show he still is not ready and Orton will be the man going into Week 1. The team needs to support Orton 100% for atleast 1 more season and give him a full camp.

The team actually has alot of promise. My biggest concern is the RB and O-Line situation which I will post another thread about.

Another possibility:

Only if Buffalo are able to land a veteran QB like Jay Cutler or better, I don't see anyone else having a better chance of winning than Orton at this point. He is in my opinion the best QB option we have had since Bledsoe and Flutie, and drafting a QB with this CFB class is not really an option.

Just venting here, but I have to say that Orton will be the starting QB next year starting Week 1. As much as everyone is disappointed in the team after today, it was not his fault.

Yes, he threw a few picks, but he also threw a few great passes to keep the Bills in the game. With the poor protection and some lackluster play calling, he can only do so much. EJ would have not been able to help much in this area, he would have actually looked worse.

So what is the future:

My prediction: Bills stick with Orton for Week 16, and plan for him to be a starter next year. Everyone on the board will be upset, but oh well that is going to happen anyway. ;)

EJ is going to try to compete and the media will spin it up, but even if he is "beating" out Orton in practice. The preseason will show he still is not ready and Orton will be the man going into Week 1. The team needs to support Orton 100% for atleast 1 more season and give him a full camp.

The team actually has alot of promise. My biggest concern is the RB and O-Line situation which I will post another thread about.

Another possibility:

Only if Buffalo are able to land a veteran QB like Jay Cutler or better, I don't see anyone else having a better chance of winning than Orton at this point. He is in my opinion the best QB option we have had since Bledsoe and Flutie, and drafting a QB with this CFB class is not really an option.

If you think this team is going anywhere with KO, you my friend are insane.

Orton has about as much chance of being on the roster next year as you do. One and done. Clearly not good enough to start and too expensive to hold a clipboard. EJ will get a chance to show something in preseason, but in reality he's not the future QB, either. So, who is??? Who the hell knows.

Tell you who I'd love to get my hands on...Kellen Moore. We have a cushy relationship with Detroit, and he'll be an RFA so a good time for them to unload him for decent compensation before he is a UFA next year. Something about this guy...he's got the IT that was mentioned in another thread.

Tell you who I'd love to get my hands on...Kellen Moore. We have a cushy relationship with Detroit, and he'll be an RFA so a good time for them to unload him for decent compensation before he is a UFA next year. Something about this guy...he's got the IT that was mentioned in another thread.

So he'll be able to fix the firewalls you mentioned 'sucked'? Sounds good. Only a 7th rounder though bub'!

So what is the future:

Another possibility:

Orton missed open wrs all day, He missed them short, long every which way. He's a bum, I'd rather start Fitzpatrick or anyone else. I'd even take Cutler over this non athletic QB with no arm. He sucks and yes, yes it was his fault today we lost definitely his fault.

Connor Cook is the QB of the future, when he comes out we need to do everything possible to get him. (and yes Kyle will probably start)

He's on record already that he intends to stay for his Sr year...He may change his mind...But all I've heard is he's staying...

Kyle ain't all that great, but with the abysmal "pass protection" he gets and the complete lack of a running game, we're toast owith EJ or Kyle or Tuel Time for that matter. Yeah, with Big Ben we may have been able to win. But we don't have a QB LIke that and likely won't next year either.

Not to mention Kyle is running a Pop Warner offense that is simple and predictable.

Edited by reddogblitz

Orton wasnt great but we did rush for the 4th lowest output in team history. And that aint Ortons fault. Id rather ride with Orton and a improved OL next year than EJ.

I'm flabbergasted that there are still people willing to have Orton back in '16. I'm not even trying to defend/support/push for EJ, but clearly Orton is garbage. He showed me everything I needed to see in Denver on his slide. The guy needs to go. If he's the starter in '16 then it better be because they're tanking for Cook / QB Savior of the moment.

isn't on our roster. the cupboard's bare, and Marrone & Hackett's offense has proven to be one of the worst in the league.

the only option Brandon has for 2015 is signing the talented and misunderstood Jay Cutler to sell the promise of change. this will be an entertaining dynamic.

the last chance coaches meet the last chance QB.

isn't on our roster. the cupboard's bare, and Marrone & Hackett's offense has proven to be one of the worst in the league.

the only option Brandon Whaley has for 2015 is signing the talented and misunderstood Jay Cutler to sell the promise of change. this will be an entertaining dynamic. disaster of epic proportions at worst, and a lateral move at best, either way it will destroy the team's cap flexibility and costs them the opportunity to improve at the G and TE positions.

the last chance coaches meet the last chance QB.

Fixed.

I'm flabbergasted that there are still people willing to have Orton back in '16. I'm not even trying to defend/support/push for EJ, but clearly Orton is garbage. He showed me everything I needed to see in Denver on his slide. The guy needs to go. If he's the starter in '16 then it better be because they're tanking for Cook / QB Savior of the moment.

Well dont be. Imagine if we had the Raiders running stats, think we could of won the game? I do. Then we would be 9-6 heading into the final week. Im not saying Orton is great by any means. But the realistic options for 2015 are Orton, EJ or a rookie. With EJ or a rookie we arent sniffing the playoffs.

If Orton is the QB next year, I'll be watching other things on TV during my Sundays. Not gonna sit through another 17 weeks of mediocrity. Pegula needs to clean house. I'm sick of the revolving door at QB, head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator etc....I'm not gonna deal with futility and football purgatory anymore. 15 years is enough. I mean the freaking Arizona Cardinals even figured it out.

Take the 2 INT's Orton threw today away, does the Bills win?

I don't think so...

Are u kidding me, that first pk swung the momentum of the gm in the Raiders direction. The Raiders were ready to pack there bags and head for the beach. If we scored anything on that drive the game would of been over. Like Denny Green used to say, we let em off the hook!

Well dont be. Imagine if we had the Raiders running stats, think we could of won the game? I do. Then we would be 9-6 heading into the final week. Im not saying Orton is great by any means. But the realistic options for 2015 are Orton, EJ or a rookie. With EJ or a rookie we arent sniffing the playoffs.

I don't think those are the only options. And even if they were, I'd rather see EJ in '16 and Orton working at an IHOP than anywhere near the Bills roster.

Fixed.

i get the venom, but be realistic. Whaley isn't paid to 'sell' the team to the public, Brandon is - and as much as Cutler's efforts on the field are despised by NFL fans everywhere, Russ the magician will market his acquisition as the missing ingredient to a team that's ready to win now. The last chance coaches will say all the right things, and another season will appear and disappear before they're all tossed over the falls.

If Orton is the QB next year, I'll be watching other things on TV during my Sundays. Not gonna sit through another 17 weeks of mediocrity. Pegula needs to clean house. I'm sick of the revolving door at QB, head coach, defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator etc....I'm not gonna deal with futility and football purgatory anymore. 15 years is enough. I mean the freaking Arizona Cardinals even figured it out.

I may not have the best grip on the English language, but I believe these are contradictory statements. To compare us to Arizona is unfair, as they have suffered less since Warner than we have since Kelly. We will be in all likelihood stuck with EJ or Orton as our starter, week 1. One can hope that EJ can develop more during the off-season.

Nonetheless, cleaning house after our best season in 9 years, where we were in playoff contention, would be idiotic. The only justifiable way to get rid of Marrone, would be if he refused to give up playcalling duties or refused to fire Hackett.

Assuming that they lose to Patriots*, I have to say that Buffalo did well enough to not be considered football purgatory. We upgraded from laughingstock to mediocre. Hopefully, the gains in performance and status continue. However, I believe that the growth is done with a scalpel not with a cleaver.

i get the venom, but be realistic. Whaley isn't paid to 'sell' the team to the public, Brandon is - and as much as Cutler's efforts on the field are despised by NFL fans everywhere, Russ the magician will market his acquisition as the missing ingredient to a team that's ready to win now. The last chance coaches will say all the right things, and another season will appear and disappear before they're all tossed over the falls.

Your mistake is assuming Brandon has any more say in football decisions. He doesn't. He won't be acquiring anyone, but you're right it will be his job to sell whomever they do get to fix the position.

But Cutler is not the answer and shouldn't be considered unless he gets cut and signs a super cap friendly deal -- which he won't do. If he does, I'd consider him but only under those conditions. So pining for Cutler is a mirage in my mind. It doesn't improve the team, it's a lateral move at the position. He's every bit as frustrating as Kyle and plays with about the same level of passion. The guy doesn't have the ability to get this team over the hump.

Your mistake is assuming Brandon has any more say in football decisions. He doesn't. He won't be acquiring anyone, but you're right it will be his job to sell whomever they do get to fix the position.

But Cutler is not the answer and shouldn't be considered unless he gets cut and signs a super cap friendly deal -- which he won't do. If he does, I'd consider him but only under those conditions. So pining for Cutler is a mirage in my mind. It doesn't improve the team, it's a lateral move at the position. He's every bit as frustrating as Kyle and plays with about the same level of passion. The guy doesn't have the ability to get this team over the hump.

i think it would be a mistake, as much as you do, but it's the kind of calculated risk our front office has done in the past. hopefully having Whaley reporting directly to ownership helps limit Brandon.. but i don't think the fans should underestimate his level of influence on their decision making

These conversations usually morph into cries for other positions of need. They don't need a te or other skill positions. They need a guy who is capable of making all NFL level throws with regularity.

Kembrell freaking Thompkins went 5/90 with Carr throwing to him.

Does anyone doubt that Watkins would have had 1300 yds if he had a real qb throwing to him? Or Woods 1K ?

The Bills would be vastly better with Derek Carr.

Edited by No QB - No Bueno

I doubt it if Marrone/Hackett are calling the plays and designing the offense and game plans.

That's exactly how I feel.

I said it last year at this time, and I'll say it again... draft a QB with every pick until they find one worth a damn. That's what they need to do. You can't win in this league without a QB, period.

However, with Marrone/Hackett designing the offense, I truly can't see any QB being successful. So, I'll add... fire them in Foxboro next week. Then, do whatever it takes to hire a coaching staff that has a friggin clue.

I love the posters who continually post that EJ couldn't have done as well as Orton this season. Yet the team was .500 when he was benched. What's the team going to be to end the season?

Edited by MDH

Are u kidding me, that first pk swung the momentum of the gm in the Raiders direction. The Raiders were ready to pack there bags and head for the beach. If we scored anything on that drive the game would of been over. Like Denny Green used to say, we let em off the hook!

Exactly - they were already running for the bus. I was never so confident that we were going to win. Damn!

As bad as this season was for the Raiders, they did manage to come on in the end and beat 2 pretty good teams as well as the Bills.

Plus their rookie QB really seems to have a lot of potential. Meanwhile the Bills have no QB and no 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. So does that mean Orton or Cutler next year (assuming Manuel doesn't suddenly amount to something)?

Edited by CodeMonkey

trade for Nassib.

He is one of the few players out there whose long term future in this league has as little promise as Orton's has.

I hate the idea of Orton but where is the available upgrade. This really sucks

The upgrade will have to be to the offensive line in front of him. There just isn't anyone out there that is a clear upgrade over Orton. Not that they won't find somebody somewhere to at least give it a shot.