Two NYPD officers killed execution-style

Thanks for the additional quotes. Totally agree that his timing is crap. But this also seems like one of those instances where the rush to judgment has turned into a lemming avalanche. De Blasio is today's tar and feather victim.

It's also worth considering that if these were just cops, you probably wouldn't see such a unified reaction. But they're not just cops...they're unionized cops about to do whatever they can to ensure DeBlasio is a one-term boss.

It's something, I think, we tend to forget. He is their boss, much like Obama is the commander in chief of the military. When an elected official has such a blatant level of distrust and contempt for a portion of their staff, this should be expected. In the case of Obama, the military vote can't swing elections...but a NYC police union? DeBlasio will be one-and-done.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsflash: If you're black, it's more dangerous.

I doubt any rational person would disagree with that.

I can't fault a cop for demanding compliance and using whatever means are necessary to ensure their own safety. If a cop tells you to get down on the ground, and you don't do it, you really don't have a leg to stand on. Same with getting out of a vehicle. If there's a racial overtone to it, that's a shame to be sure. But you can't go around crusading for the concept that people should be able to resist the lawful order of a police officer.

And so that very real and practical piece of advice to his black son is racist?

What a world.

Is that really it then? That's what has caused all of this?

I get that in the heightened Ferguson crap and executed cop atmosphere, your average politician should pick his moment and not share that story, but come on.

It is not but to make the statement public was a mistake.

Newsflash you are wrong.

http://www.frontpage...an-age-of-lies/

http://www.bjs.gov/c...f/ard0309st.pdf

"from 2003 to 2009. Of all suspects who are known to have been killed by law-enforcement officers during that time frame, 41.7% were white, 31.7% were black, and 20.3% were Hispanic."

That's one of the worst statistical refutations I've ever seen. Your numbers include "arrest-related suicide" (which I can only assume is that as the cop is arresting you, you off yourself--apparently this is a white guy thing to do from your numbers since honkeys do this 4x as often as brothers) and "arrest-related death by intoxication" (which I don't know WTF that is).

It is not but to make the statement public was a mistake.

To make that statement public at this time--was terrible public timing. But still: Talk about overreaction. We so crave someone to beat on.

That's one of the worst statistical refutations I've ever seen. Your numbers include "arrest-related suicide" (which I can only assume is that as the cop is arresting you, you off yourself--apparently this is a white guy thing to do from your numbers since honkeys do this 4x as often as brothers) and "arrest-related death by intoxication" (which I don't know WTF that is).

And don't include any demographics - i.e. what's the ration of arrests/stops by race. If blacks represent an eighth of the country, but half the arrests and a third of the arrest-related deaths, that's pretty indicative of it being more dangerous to be black when dealing with the police.

But truly, there's a shortage of decent information on the subject. It's just not collected or analyzed. Blacks are arrested and incarcerated at a greater frequency than other races, but we can't even tell if that's the problem (e.g. racism in the justice system) or a symptom of the problem (e.g. socio-economics that put blacks at a greater likelihood of committing crimes).

A cornerstone of his campaign for Mayor was to stop the police tactic of "stop-and-frisk".

Here's what former NYPD Police Commissioner Ray Kelly had to say about it.

"
Much of the discussion of the fraught relationship between police and black communities has surrounded practices like stop-and-frisk. What would you say to those who paint stop-and-frisk as an example of racial profiling by the police?

There’s a tremendous amount of misinformation about stop-question-and-sometimes-frisk. We were never really able to get it out, it wasn’t properly introduced in the trial [that found the policy unconstitutional in 2013].

New York has a lower stop-rate than Philadelphia or Baltimore. The criteria recommended by the RAND Institute, is that it be the description of the perpetrators of violent crimes by victims of violent crimes. In other words, the government is left out of it. [The criteria] can’t be arrest data because that could be biased, it can’t be census data because logically, half your stops would be women, which makes no sense.

The NYPD is by far the most diverse police department in the world, we have police officers born in 106 countries. Its police officer rank is majority minority. That information was not used in the trial.

Also, crime data and the fact that New York last year had the lowest number of murders that we’ve had on record since at least 1961, when the National Crime Reporting system was put in place. And during the Bloomberg administration, there were 9,500 fewer murders than in the previous 12 years. So much information never made its way out concerning stop-and-frisk."

http://time.com/3646155/ray-kelly-on-mayor-de-blasio-this-isnt-the-campaign/

"
What doesn’t this Mayor understand about the NYPD?

I don’t know what he understands or doesn’t understand, all I can tell you is what he said during his campaign. He talked about the fact that his son had to be careful interacting with [NYPD officers].

He talked about stop-question-and-frisk, but I don’t think he fully understood the nuances of it, or if he did he certainly didn’t talk about it.

It’s certainly not the only tool in the toolbox, but it’s an important tool and New York City in most people’s minds, certainly in 2013, had never been safer. That feeling has certainly drifted in the last few months."

To make that statement public at this time--was terrible public timing. But still: Talk about overreaction. We so crave someone to beat on.

Put yourself in their shoes. If your boss just came out publicly and accused you of racial profiling how would your react?

I'd buy that but he had another poor public statement about cops being "allegedly" assaulted when they were "in fact" assaulted, "allegedly" by certain individuals. That plus he ran part of his campaign on anti-cop sentiment. That plus the cops there to cite Garner were there because of a predictable set of circumstances set in motion by his enforcement policies.....which were set in motion by his overtaxation of cigs.....

Put yourself in their shoes. If your boss just came out publicly and accused you of racial profiling how would your react?

Of COURSE there's racial profiling. If there's racial bias in committing crimes, that racial bias is going to be reflected in policing.

But that's not racism. That's just common sense...when you get a report that someone knocked over a liquor store, "young black male, aged 25-35, 5'10", 185 lbs.," you look for a young black man. You don't go around questioning white teenage girls just to be "racially sensitive."

Of COURSE there's racial profiling. If there's racial bias in committing crimes, that racial bias is going to be reflected in policing.

But that's not racism. That's just common sense...when you get a report that someone knocked over a liquor store, "young black male, aged 25-35, 5'10", 185 lbs.," you look for a young black man. You don't go around questioning white teenage girls just to be "racially sensitive."

What about hot white teenage girls?

Racial profiling of guilty until proven innocent due to one's race. You know, being pulled over for DWB.

And looking for a suspect who has been described as a certain race is not racial profiling.

Edited by Chef Jim

Another item which irks the NYPD, I'm sure, is how quick DeBlazio was to jump on the false belief that the death of a guy being arrested for selling loose cigarettes means the NYC is filled with racist cops.

In that particular case, is there any reason to believe a white guy of that size acting that way would have been treated differently? I'm not saying the cops were 100% right.....at all, but how was it a racial thing?

In that particular case, is there any reason to believe a white guy of that size acting that way would have been treated differently? I'm not saying the cops were 100% right.....at all, but how was it a racial thing?

The cops were 100% right, that's the thing.

The problem with the legislation of hyper liberal laws designed to engineer certain social behaviors and economic choices is that ultimately those laws will have to be enforced when they are violated.

When our law enforcement agencies are tasked with enforcing these laws, and an individual resists arrest, you wind up with a situation like this, where someone dies at the hands of the police after being initially detained because he was selling "illegal cigarettes"; keeping in mind, of course, that he did not die becuase he was selling cigarettes, but rather because he resisted arrest.

So of course, the left decrys the actions of the police, who did nothing more than the job they were tasked to do by leftist law makers, elected by a leftist citizenry, for espousing leftist dogma.

The problem is that a law exists, criminalizing the sale of cigarettes, and tasking the police with enforcing that law; the problem is not that the police are enforcing that law.

The cops were 100% right, that's the thing.

The problem with the legislation of hyper liberal laws designed to engineer certain social behaviors and economic choices is that ultimately those laws will have to be enforced when they are violated.

When our law enforcement agencies are tasked with enforcing these laws, and an individual resists arrest, you wind up with a situation like this, where someone dies at the hands of the police after being initially detained because he was selling "illegal cigarettes"; keeping in mind, of course, that he did not die becuase he was selling cigarettes, but rather because he resisted arrest.

So of course, the left decrys the actions of the police, who did nothing more than the job they were tasked to do by leftist law makers, elected by a leftist citizenry, for espousing leftist dogma.

The problem is that a law exists, criminalizing the sale of cigarettes, and tasking the police with enforcing that law; the problem is not that the police are enforcing that law.

I agree with all of this but they could have got him medical attention.

I agree with all of this but they could have got him medical attention.

I'll fault the EMT's on scene with that, though I can certainly understand the reluctance to administer such treatment to an individual, whom not more than a few minutes prior, was resisting arrest and needed to be physically subdued and handcuffed.

Mr. Garner, most unfortunately, purchased his treatement with his immediate prior actions.

Tragic?

Absolutely.

Improper?

I'm not so sure.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Also his failure to criticize the mob chants of "What do we want? Dead Cops!" may have slightly perturbed the boys in blue?

Not to mention the fact that he's essentially given Al Sharpton -- the person at the forefront of those mob chants -- a place of honor in his administration.