Two NYPD officers killed execution-style

Is this really amounting to sizing up whether arresting, stopping, or questioning minorities in the act or suspicion of a crime is fair for minorities?

I really seem to think some people here are taking that angle that it's not fair to arrest, detain, question or restrain a suspect/criminal if they are black.

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the worst statistical refutations I've ever seen. Your numbers include "arrest-related suicide" (which I can only assume is that as the cop is arresting you, you off yourself--apparently this is a white guy thing to do from your numbers since honkeys do this 4x as often as brothers) and "arrest-related death by intoxication" (which I don't know WTF that is).

To make that statement public at this time--was terrible public timing. But still: Talk about overreaction. We so crave someone to beat on.

You so crave the opportunity to be a self-righteous blow hard. If you look at this situation in a vacuum your point would be well taken, but taken in the context that the police were the targets of trumped up accusations of institutional racism (an accusation not supported by facts or evidence) and instead of appealing to reason to calm the crowds, the dick head mayor stoked the flames, it's really not too difficult to understand why they'd be pissed.

You so crave the opportunity to be a self-righteous blow hard. If you look at this situation in a vacuum your point would be well taken, but taken in the context that the police were the targets of trumped up accusations of institutional racism (an accusation not supported by facts or evidence) and instead of appealing to reason to calm the crowds, the dick head mayor stoked the flames, it's really not too difficult to understand why they'd be pissed.

His timing is awful. At the same time, he's currently the victim of our need to constantly have someone to vilify. The next person up for public shaming is Scalise. Like DeBlasio, he did something wrong. But the moral indignation and outrage that is about to rise up will be disproportionate to what he did. See Rick Perry's hunting cabin. Mitt Romney's dog. Michelle Obama's "bring back our girls" tweet.

I've not seen it discussed here but DeBlasio tried to straddle a line on not wanting to incite public flames (ala Ferguson) by making his comments. After some of the terrible behavior in Ferguson, he was probably trying to be careful not to rise the general public's ire.

Annnnnnnnnnd...he failed miserably.

Still, all the soundbites are of 3 sentences and not the many things he's said in support of the police because those 3 sentences are delicious red meat and when he just sings the praises of police, it's boring.

Edited by John Adams

Is this really amounting to sizing up whether arresting, stopping, or questioning minorities in the act or suspicion of a crime is fair for minorities?

I really seem to think some people here are taking that angle that it's not fair to arrest, detain, question or restrain a suspect/criminal if they are black.

It's not fair to arrest, detain, question, restrain, or treat someone as a suspect or criminal BECAUSE they are black. And don't kid yourself, that does happen. I've seen ridiculous instances of it first hand (like: a black, 50-something executive stopped and questioned for nothing more than being a black man driving a Cadillac. The aforementioned "DWB" is a real thing.)

The problem is the significant number of people who can't make the distinction between "because" and "if."

It's not fair to arrest, detain, question, restrain, or treat someone as a suspect or criminal BECAUSE they are black. And don't kid yourself, that does happen. I've seen ridiculous instances of it first hand (like: a black, 50-something executive stopped and questioned for nothing more than being a black man driving a Cadillac. The aforementioned "DWB" is a real thing.)

The problem is the significant number of people who can't make the distinction between "because" and "if."

Was this the cadillac?

cadillac-coupe.jpg

I've seen DWW, as well. (DWB, too). Was with some guys in HS and we happened to get lost driving through the projects of Toledo on the way to a game or match. We got followed and pulled and lead out of the neighborhood. In college I was in the car a few times with a bunch of different dudes. I was one of the only ones on the team with a car. I got pulled several times in strange areas to ask why there were 4 or 5 guys loaded in to a tiny little car driving around or going to the liquor store, etc.