what are chances Hughes gives Bills hometown discount ??

RCOHEN13

Agreed, but this almost always happens after they are set for life. He's in a position now to achieve that status. The last contract is more likely to be about being in the right place. And as a reminder, we still haven't made the playoffs in a bit, so this is the right place only in terms of his immediate unit right now. I'm sure we'll make a strong offer though. And I pray for the best!

Keep praying brother.

No one is better than their best partner.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do teams like the Raiders and Redskins get top level guys? Much like we often had to, pay a little more than the market. Players often know this, but they follow the money. I love Hughes on the team and hope they can find a way to get it done with him, and all the other guys who will be coming up. I believe in Whaley in terms of finding talent. Time will tell how qualified the current group is in terms of managing the cap.

It's going to take $65-$75M over the next five years to keep Hughes. Anything less and his agent is not doing his job.

I agree! The next contract Hughs signs is going to be huge. I fully expect it to be at least 7-9 M per year. Anything less would be a steal.

You haven't been watching close enough, Hughes has been really good against the run in this scheme. Lawson, normally the more stout end against the run, has regressed wildly in that area.

I have NFL game rewind. I have gone back and watched every single play in every game. that's why, as an example, I know he was literally pancaked a half dozen times in the Cleveland game and why I will continue to dog him. Mario, kyle and marcel never get pancaked. don't get me wrong, hughes is a nice player. for me, he just doesn't come close to franchise tag money.

PRO: one trick pony who uses speed only (no power) to mop up "coverage" sacks and turnovers. gets credit for facing opponents LT.

CON: weak vs Run , no power and is handled one on one by opposing tight ends. was pancaked 6 times vs cleveland, often turns his back to blocker during spin move and completely gives up on play, is the most penalized player on team (mentally challenged) , leads the league in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. is total beneficiary of playing on line with 3 pro bowlers. is never double teamed. if he left buffalo and was the #1 rusher on another team you would never hear his name again.

Conclusion: if you can get him for $7-8 mil maybe, anything more and your better off spending it elsewhere. retaining dareus and kyle Williams far more important.

Edited by papazoid

I hope The rest of the NFL understands that Jerry's performance and production are a combination of his abilty, the system he plays in, and the players around him. Playing with 3 potential all pro's on the D-line can make life a lot easier. I expect they can agree to a package that is fair to both sides and I don't see this as a 'Byrd' type scenario where the player was intent on going elsewhere. My expectation is Hughes is here in 2015.

Fixed

He's going to make a tough decision. He can get paid 7-8 mil by us on a top defensive front where he'll be known as the best front in football, and will make him look very very good. He could take the contract as the second one is your big money. He could also end up on a crap team that over pays and so he looks like a flop somewhere like Atlanta as he doesn't have the other three to give him single coverage.

Since the contracts aren't guaranteed it is not so simple. I hope we restructure Mario and takes care of the issue.

MGK

ZERO chance he gives a home town discount. this will be his one and only chance to cash in.

can you say OVER RATED !!

PRO: one trick pony who uses speed only (no power) to mop up "coverage" sacks and turnovers. gets credit for facing opponents LT.

CON: weak vs Run , no power and is handled one on one by opposing tight ends. was pancaked 6 times vs cleveland, often turns his back to blocker during spin move and completely gives up on play, is the most penalized player on team (mentally challenged) , leads the league in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. is total beneficiary of playing on line with 3 pro bowlers. is never double teamed. if he left buffalo and was the #1 rusher on another team you would never hear his name again.

Conclusion: if you can get him for $7-8 mil maybe, anything more and your better off spending it elsewhere. retaining dareus and kyle Williams far more important.

I agree with this 100%. I'd offer him a fair contract but if he bolts we might even end up with a better all around player to replace him.

Hometown discounts are for guys with long track records in one place, who have already made a truckload of money and who are more interested in a championship than an extra million in their pocket or are thinking about their HOF legacy, etc. Tom Brady, etc.

A young guy who washed out with the team that drafted him and now has exploded on the scene is going to cash in, period. The best 'hometown' benefit you can hope for is that he is willing to take equal $ from the Bills than from anther team. But make no mistake, he will be playing for the highest bidder next season.

Sort of disagree. What would you consider the highest bidder? Total dollars or guaranteed money?

Let's say someone offers him 4 years for $52 million and $20 guaranteed ($13/year average) and we offered him $40 and $20 guaranteed ($10/year average) I think we stand a chance. Reason being as long as the guaranteed is the same. The chances of Hughes producing less on a different team is better and thusly the chances of being cut because he is being paid $13 to get 6.5 sacks in three years vs getting paid $10 for 10 sacks. The point being he has a better chance at receiving more money overall in the Bills signing situation and still gets the same guaranteed.

We will see.

His career completion rate is 2 full percentage points higher than Orton's, better than Eli Manning's, and he went to the Pro Bowl in 2008.

2008 is closer to a decade away than one year.

Edited by Manther

I agree...but was safely ensconced in hotel room when this was posted!

I mean, this guy who is supposed to be and "insider" and an "expert" said 3.5 to 4.

Bulldog even questioned it,

If Hughes could get re-signed for that price tag Doug Whaley and co. would have to teach seminars on contracts! Hopefully it can be at worst, 4-5 yr at 10 mil a yr. This wouldnt be a cap killer and he would get what he deserves.

I just hope he isnt greedy cuz as good as he's been, so many other things factored into his success like the DL around him. Might be a tricky negotiation.

Offer him a fair contract at 3 years....3 years 24 million, with a big signing bonus...if he declines, ok see ya

Insert another DE who will play just as good, if not better against the run and who can win his share of 1 on 1s that Hughes has been getting and get sacks as well

This defense has great, great players no doubt (Hughes isn't one of them) - but their play is a sum of the parts equation, Hughes can be replaced

Yes we have cap space, and we NEED that cap space to re-sign our stars next year and the year after - not to mention sign some competent OG/TE - no need to go to cap hell over jerry Hughes

Would you take $10,000 less a year at your job to work somewhere where your commute is 10 mins, vs. 30 mins?

Maybe. If we are talking $30K vs $40K then no. If it's $150K vs $140K then I might. Maybe not just commute time but if I thought I would be happier at one place then absolutely yes.

Offer him a fair contract at 3 years....3 years 24 million, with a big signing bonus...if he declines, ok see ya

Insert another DE who will play just as good, if not better against the run and who can win his share of 1 on 1s that Hughes has been getting and get sacks as well

This defense has great, great players no doubt (Hughes isn't one of them) - but their play is a sum of the parts equation, Hughes can be replaced

Yes we have cap space, and we NEED that cap space to re-sign our stars next year and the year after - not to mention sign some competent OG/TE - no need to go to cap hell over jerry Hughes

Anyone hear John Clayton on WGR suggesting the Bills could sign Hughes for $4M a year? You could tell S&B were stunned momentarily.

The Bills QB costs are nil. Looks like cheap QB for the next few years, unless they did something really stupid like pick up Cutlers 120 mil contract. Then instant cap hell for other FA's

pay Hughes, playing on a .500 or slightly better team is not going to be the reason he would give a hometwon discount. This team is a few very good players short to contend for anything. But, other than a few big name QB's simply restructuring contracts to help resign others. And taking the money upfront. That's about as close to a "hometown" discount I have seen. Who gives up $$$$$ these days?

They should also offer Jarius Wynn a decent contract, he seemed ok before his injury. he would be cheap. And most likely the Bills fallback plan when Hughes walks.

How do teams like the Raiders and Redskins get top level guys? Much like we often had to, pay a little more than the market. Players often know this, but they follow the money. I love Hughes on the team and hope they can find a way to get it done with him, and all the other guys who will be coming up. I believe in Whaley in terms of finding talent. Time will tell how qualified the current group is in terms of managing the cap.

$$$.... yet big spending doesn't mean you get a great ROI

Care to name a few? Both teams are awful.

Anyone hear John Clayton on WGR suggesting the Bills could sign Hughes for $4M a year? You could tell S&B were stunned momentarily.

I did hear that. John Clayton seemed a bit out of touch in that whole interview. He implied the Bills may be done with EJ, and made a case to bring in Cutler. Which Schoop and the BD went with it as well.

Lost some respect for Clayton in that exchange, and Schoop and Bd, well, those poor guys got 4hrs to fill every day so theyll talk about anything. They werent shying away from the Cutler talk, even seemed excited about it.

As far as Clayton, he also said him and Peter King were in Seattle at a Seahawks d*** s****** party so im not surprised that he had little real interest in whats going on with the Bills.

Out of touch, Clayton.

Edited by mastershake

Hughes is playing his way in to a big contract. While the Bills could probably fit it under cap I doubt they go that high. At least not until they figure out the QB situation.

Likely I think. He has to be aware that some of his success is due to who he's playing next to. I'm sure he doesn't want to go back to the type of production and profile he had before he was traded to the Bills.

For $70M he would and so would you or any other player. Talk of a "hometown discount"...whatever that is, is ridiculous. Plus Buffalo is not his hometown.

That's not what hometown discount means.

And yes, players have given hometown discounts in the past. So don't act like no players ever take less money to stay with a team they like.

How much of a discount? If Hughes can get $8-10M per year...he's not taking a lot less to stay.