Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

They spoke of talent on rosters and both teams were comparable. Heisman=meaningless award, then why all the hype for Johnny Football, Tim Tebow, etc?

If I were trying to argue that the Heisman is a meaningful award, I would never utter the words "Johnny Football" or "Tim Tebow."

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always skeptical of people in a position like his. Fans listen to him and think he knows more about evaluating talent than people who do it for a living. Moments after every draft, fans are waiting for these so called experts draft grades. Clinging to the hope that their team did good. Football is a business, to some degree the teams have to appease the fans, during the draft, to sell season tickets. Do you really think Cleveland wanted to draft Johnny football in the first round? I guarantee you that people like Mel having JF so high on their draft board influenced Cleveland's decision. In the multi-billion dollar industry of the NFL, i would not put it past the agents to slide some money to these people to get their client higher up the draft board. Honestly, how did the Bills draft Aaron Maybin at #11? How did they draft James Hardy at #41? I just have no use for people like Mel.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

Anyone know anything about Garrett Grayson? Walter Football has him going to the Bills in round 2: http://walterfootbal...15charlie_2.php . He was recruited to CSU by none other than the immortal Steve Fairchild!

Damn now you made me give them some traffic!

I use to frequent that site but the guy simply hates everything the Bills do. So much so that it almost seems forced. I swore him off and now you got me giving him clicks! :censored::nana:

Anyone know anything about Garrett Grayson? Walter Football has him going to the Bills in round 2: http://walterfootball.com/draft2015charlie_2.php . He was recruited to CSU by none other than the immortal Steve Fairchild!

McElwain is a great coach. I think Grayson will be a 3rd rounder possibly. Connor Cook mold, but a little shorter.

• 2 months later...

I wonder what Mel Kiper has to say now!!! There are some GMs who say that Winston's football knowledge is on par with Peyton Manning!!! Todd McShay says Winston has the second highest grade only to Andrew Luck!!!

WOW!! I can't believe the number of people in this post that thought Jameis Winston didn't have the smarts to play QB in the NFL. I remember debating a poster about this in the past, but the stereotype is unbelievable.

I wonder what Mel Kiper has to say now!!! There are some GMs who say that Winston's football knowledge is on par with Peyton Manning!!! Todd McShay says Winston has the second highest grade only to Andrew Luck!!!

WOW!! I can't believe the number of people in this post that thought Jameis Winston didn't have the smarts to play QB in the NFL. I remember debating a poster about this in the past, but the stereotype is unbelievable.

oh, well if McShay says it, you can bet the ranch on it. Just ask Vernon Gholston. Kiper and McShay are almost identically inaccurate statistically which basically means anyone can predict draft success at about the same level of accuracy.

Edited by Garranimal

oh, well if McShay says it, you can bet the ranch on it. Just ask Vernon Gholston. Kiper and McShay are almost identically inaccurate statistically which basically means anyone can predict draft success at about the same level of accuracy.

You missed the part where I said GMs, as in NFL general managers who interviewed him at the combine.

I do love what passes for journalism these days....creating stories about what some source (not named, or verifiable) told another reporter or quoting some third party news source.....which is not unlike saying my wife's uncle's mother's hairstylist's psychic, knows a guy who heard from a friend's brother that Winston is "real smart-like".....all public evidence to the contrary. He must be sandbagging everyone so that noone would suspect he was shaving points by throwing interception after interception. To me, this speaks more about how journalist now determine the news rather than report on it. If you 'follow the money' there is no actual source other than what Peter King SAYS he was told by someone, so the story comes down to how much trust/clout Peter King has as a reporter.

I do love what passes for journalism these days....creating stories about what some source (not named, or verifiable) told another reporter or quoting some third party news source.....which is not unlike saying my wife's uncle's mother's hairstylist's psychic, knows a guy who heard from a friend's brother that Winston is "real smart-like".....all public evidence to the contrary. He must be sandbagging everyone so that noone would suspect he was shaving points by throwing interception after interception. To me, this speaks more about how journalist now determine the news rather than report on it. If you 'follow the money' there is no actual source other than what Peter King SAYS he was told by someone, so the story comes down to how much trust/clout Peter King has as a reporter.

My point above...not one "front office guy" or "GM" went on record. Of course they're gonna say he is brilliant...that's what everyone wants to read. I watched EJ's "Jon Gruden QB Camp" and he was equally "brilliant". Sports Science said EJ had the best QB traits of anyone that year (speed, release, power, recognition). It's all nonsense...especially the NFL.com article above. The author thinks we are all racist for questioning whether Winston will succeed...I don't need to harp on black QB's...I can point to Ryan Leaf, Clausen and Manziel as equal busts without worrying about skin color (as much as the author wants to believe all criticism of Winston has to do with race).

Yep. I have been saying it for quite some time. I saw a lot of Luck at Stanford and I have seen every game of Mariota's career at Oregon. There are things Mariota can improve upon, but he is extremely smart, a very hard worker and exceedingly humble. He is going to be a great QB in the NFL.

I think that describes EJ Manuel too, but the jury is still out on him.

In all honesty, how many franchise QBs have come out of the college ranks in the last 10 years?

2005: Aaron Rodgers

2008: Matt Ryan

2009: Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco

2011: Cam Newton

2012: Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson

I am probably being generous listing some of those guys (Ryan, Flacco, Stafford) as franchise QBs, too. The rest (Cutler, Dalton, Smith, etc.) have been competent starters at best.

In all honesty, how many franchise QBs have come out of the college ranks in the last 10 years?

I am probably being generous listing some of those guys (Ryan, Flacco, Stafford) as franchise QBs, too. The rest (Cutler, Dalton, Smith, etc.) have been competent starters at best.

The book has yet to be written on Wilson and Luck, also... both are still wildly inconsistent. (not a slam, just that they're young)

This- and thank god for rule changes, nutrition, medical advances and sport science because if QBs deteriorated at the rate they use to you'd probably be missing 4or 5 out of the to 10