Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

Agree with this. He is very good but let's not anoint him yet. They play in a bad division and get destroyed every time they play the Pats.

Once he beats them, sky's the limit. But he's not there yet.

And I think Winston is the more polished pro ready QB. But I'd rather roll the dice with MM because of the character. Hopefully, the team that drafts him gets him a better OC than a former Big East OC.

Regarding Luck, I think it's more of a case of the rest of his team not being there at this point. When the rest of his team IS there, I have no doubt Luck will hold up his end of the bargain. I had heard he was the highest rated QB prospect since Elway who was the highest rated college prospect in history at the time. I wish we had him.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Luck, I think it's more of a case of the rest of his team not being there at this point. When the rest of his team IS there, I have no doubt Luck will hold up his end of the bargain. I had heard he was the highest rated QB prospect since Elway who was the highest rated college prospect in history at the time. I wish we had him.

GO BILLS!!!

i would personally take Luck over any other QB in the league if starting a team. His FO has done a terrible job drafting since Telesco left for SD. They have traded poorly and had to sign ever cast off and FA to make up for the poor drafting and when it comes time to sign Luck they are going to be screwed without the money to throw around and no clue how to draft and develop young talent. Luck deserves better. If I were him and Irsay insisted on keeping Grigson, I would sign elsewhere in FA. He has no OL, no defense, no running game. Edited by YoloinOhio

i would personally take Luck over any other QB in the league if starting a team. His FO has done a terrible job drafting since Telesco left for SD. They have traded poorly and had to sign ever cast off and FA to make up for the poor drafting and when it comes time to sign Luck they are going to be screwed without the money to throw around and no clue how to draft and develop young talent. Luck deserves better. If I were him and Irsay insisted on keeping Grigson, I would sign elsewhere in FA. He has no OL, no defense, no running game.

This is all true. I think Indy may be stuck in that vortex of drafting suckitude which, ironically, is a testament to how good Luck is. He literally turned them into a playoff team overnight. And when you make the playoffs you don't get the better picks with which to add blue chip building blocks.

GO BILLS!!!

This is all true. I think Indy may be stuck in that vortex of drafting suckitude which, ironically, is a testament to how good Luck is. He literally turned them into a playoff team overnight. And when you make the playoffs you don't get the better picks with which to add blue chip building blocks.

GO BILLS!!!

or when you trade 1st rd picks for terrible RBs, and 1st rd all-pro caliber pass rushers for street-grade LBs. Sorry, couldn't resist. Grigson, you suck.

or when you trade 1st rd picks for terrible RBs, and 1st rd all-pro caliber pass rushers for street-grade LBs. Sorry, couldn't resist. Grigson, you suck.

Again, all true. Grigson has no margin for error and in what little margin he's operated in, he hasn't done well. I understand why he made that trade for Richardson, it was actually a smart idea at the time but man, Richardson just fell off a cliff. When you make as many trades as he has in less than three seasons, you better hope some pan out. Again, I understand why he does it; he's not gonna be in prime draft position to get better prospects, but man, when the trades don't pan out, it compounds the problem.

Vortex of draft suckitude. He's in deep.

GO BILLS!!!

And yet, the Colts are 9-4. Tanking pays--sometimes.

That's my point. Getting Luck and Luck alone made them a playoff team overnight. But they need additional pieces to get over the hump. Those pieces are hard enough to come by with great drafting position let alone picking late in each round. Girgson knows this so he sets upon a course of trades (16 after his first two seasons) in order to compensate and those trades just haven't panned out. I wonder if he wishes he had Hughes instead of Shepphard.

GO BILLS!!!

i would personally take Luck over any other QB in the league if starting a team. His FO has done a terrible job drafting since Telesco left for SD. They have traded poorly and had to sign ever cast off and FA to make up for the poor drafting and when it comes time to sign Luck they are going to be screwed without the money to throw around and no clue how to draft and develop young talent. Luck deserves better. If I were him and Irsay insisted on keeping Grigson, I would sign elsewhere in FA. He has no OL, no defense, no running game.

I don't know Yolo! To quote the great Stephen A Smith "Aaron Rodgers is a baaad man"!

That's my point. Getting Luck and Luck alone made them a playoff team overnight. But they need additional pieces to get over the hump. Those pieces are hard enough to come by with great drafting position let alone picking late in each round. Girgson knows this so he sets upon a course of trades (16 after his first two seasons) in order to compensate and those trades just haven't panned out. I wonder if he wishes he had Hughes instead of Shepphard.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. I don't see the Colts winning a game in the playoffs.

You don't really believe that.

Why is it so hard to believe? "Entering Oregon's matchup with Florida State in one College Football Playoff semifinal, Mariota has completed 68.3 percent of his pass attempts for 3,783 yards and 38 touchdowns. He leads the Football Bowl Subdivision in passing efficiency (186.33), yards per attempt (10.2) and is the only quarterback in the nation to throw for at least 2,100 yards with fewer than three (2) interceptions." That's 10.2 yards per attempt! Have you watched him play? Edited by mannc

Why is it so hard to believe? "Entering Oregon's matchup with Florida State in one College Football Playoff semifinal, Mariota has completed 68.3 percent of his pass attempts for 3,783 yards and 38 touchdowns. He leads the Football Bowl Subdivision in passing efficiency (186.33), yards per attempt (10.2) and is the only quarterback in the nation to throw for at least 2,100 yards with fewer than three (2) interceptions." That's 10.2 yards per attempt! Have you watched him play?

please don't take this the wrong way as I haven't really wached him play much. But does he throw a lot of screen passes? Do his WRs get a lot of YAC? Or is he throwing downfield a lot into tight coverage. Serious question, not trying to be a jerk. I know he is very highly thought of by a lot more than just you, and just haven't delved into the nfl draft analysis of him.

Yes, he throws a lot of short passes, makes a lot of throws outside the pocket (one of his strengths) and his receivers are fast so they tend to get good YAC, especially when hit in stride. But you don't put up those kind of numbers without throwing vertically with a pretty high degree of success. Watching Mariota in the pocket reminds me of watching Jim Kelley in his prime; when the ball leaves his hand you have a pretty high level of confidence that a guy wearing the same color jersey will be on the other end of the throw.

Edited by mannc

Yes, he throws a lot of short passes, makes a lot of throws outside the pocket (one of his strengths) and his receivers are fast so they tend to get good YAC, especially when hit in stride. But you don't put up those kind of numbers without throwing vertically with a pretty high degree of success. Watching Mariota in the pocket reminds me of watching Jim Kelley in his prime; when the ball leaves his hand you have a pretty high level of confidence that a guy wearing the same color jersey will on the other end of the throw.

definitely looking fwd to the Rose Bowl to get a good look at him. Thanks!

Why is it so hard to believe? "Entering Oregon's matchup with Florida State in one College Football Playoff semifinal, Mariota has completed 68.3 percent of his pass attempts for 3,783 yards and 38 touchdowns. He leads the Football Bowl Subdivision in passing efficiency (186.33), yards per attempt (10.2) and is the only quarterback in the nation to throw for at least 2,100 yards with fewer than three (2) interceptions." That's 10.2 yards per attempt! Have you watched him play?

Vince Young's stats were mind-blowing too, so were lots of guys' numbers. So were RG III's. It's not about numbers, it's about skill set and translating to NFL game. Luck is built for the job and ran a pro style offense all along. Mariota is another one of these athletic spread offense QB's who put up monster stats. I think he's an incredible college QB but i don't see NFL star in his future, i especially don't see Andrew Luck.