Report: Harbaugh very likely gone [update: now gone]

YoloinOhio

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, 44-19-1?

The personality and philosophical conflicts must have been off the charts!

Exactly. IMO, who cares if the guy is a hard azz, he gets results. The 49ers were very stupid to let him go as Harbaugh was the first coach in years to make the 49ers a successful team again.

Exactly. IMO, who cares if the guy is a hard azz, he gets results. The 49ers were very stupid to let him go as Harbaugh was the first coach in years to make the 49ers a successful team again.

Too many egos there getting in the way...Jed York and Trent Baalke couldn't co-exist with Harbaugh because they had to be "right" and Harbaugh rubbed them the wrong way...

In the end, they will get a new coach who will likely be far less effective than Harbaugh, but one they can all get along with...guess that is worth a few more losses to them...

Too many egos there getting in the way...Jed York and Trent Baalke couldn't co-exist with Harbaugh because they had to be "right" and Harbaugh rubbed them the wrong way...

In the end, they will get a new coach who will likely be far less effective than Harbaugh, but one they can all get along with...guess that is worth a few more losses to them...

they are idiots.

I like Marrone but I would take Harbaugh in a heartbeat.

should have fired the FO

they are idiots.

I like Marrone but I would take Harbaugh in a heartbeat.

Same here. Amazing that you have a coach like that and let walk away. That's some serious ego. I can't even imagine the blasting they will take if the next coach doesn't produce.

I'm with the camp that says he is using the Michigan offer to get a better deal in the NFL. It's possible to believe that he liked and would like again to be King, like you can be in college. But Harbaugh seems much more of an NFL guy to me, and would think college ball is beneath him.

Harbaugh was still under contract for another year. Obviously the Niners released him from it, and I am guessing one of the conditions of the release was that he not take an NFL job.

I think there is a lot more to the Michigan opportunity than NFL leverage. First of all, he'll command top coaching dollar no matter where he goes, NFL or Michigan, so money is not going to be the motivator. Here's what factors in most in my opinion.

• Location: Harbaugh's family has been happily settled in the SF Bay area for eight years, and in California for 15 years, so he is loathe to uprooting. Advantage: Oakland. Wouldn't have to move or even change schools for his kids.
  • Unfinished Business: Harbaugh has unfinished business in both the NFL and college. He's come close to winning it all in both, but has achieved a championship in neither. Advantage: Tie, especially now that there's a playoff in college.
  • Sibling Rivalry: Lost a Super Bowl to his brother John. That will gnaw at him. However, having their sibling rivalry/relationship plastered all over the media spotlight is no doubt an unwanted burden on them both. Advantage: Call it a tie.
  • Coaching Preference: Now that he has an equal sampling in both pro and college he can make an educated decision which one he prefers to coach. My guess is college. He gets control over personnel, no owner breathing down his neck, and his domineering, fire & brimstone style is better suited to 18-21 year old kids than grown men worth millions. Advantage: Michigan
  • Intangible: A Michigan alum who would be given a heroes welcome in Ann Arbor. Oakland? Miami? New York? Not even close. Advantage: Michigan

Final analysis: In the end, I can't see him going anywhere but Michigan. The timing is perfect. The Michigan job is open, the football program has been down for over a decade, and he's experiencing the ugly side of the NFL - getting run out of SF despite big success on the field. College was entirely different. They loved him at Stanford, and will love him even more back at his home school.

Prescient. http://www.cbsnews.c...ing-to-reports/

Edited by negativo

There is some truth to this but don't forget early in the year when there was still a chance of reconciliation there were noises coming out of the locker room against the coach too. It appears to me that some of the vets there only decided to become "team players" again once it was clear they had acheived their goal and Harbaugh was gone. Add to that the regression of Kaepernick and there were some questions about Harbaugh's regime starting to surface. In most situations his record woulg have earned him another crack I agree, but in this scenario with the discord at FO level it was enough to sink him.