Has anyone talked about the blown coverage play?

Rubes

I don't recall reading or hearing anything today from the team about the blown coverage play when Decker got free behind everyone at the end of the half. I was dumbfounded that this defense would allow something so blatant with seconds remaining in the half (until, of course, I realized that we always screw up at the end of the half).

Just wondering if anyone mentioned that it was a specific blown coverage or what. Looked to me like Aaron was playing too close, rather than way back, but it's hard to tell.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked to me like Gilmore thought he had safety help covering over the top.

I'm not really sure whether Gilmore was supposed to stick with Decker the whole time or if the safety was supposed to be deep there or what was supposed to happen. Would be nice to hear from the coaches on that play.

Gilmore just stopped. Can't do that even if you think you have safety help (he really didn't). Decker burned him again later.

Maybe it wasn't "help."

Maybe AW was supposed to pick him up in a deeper zone. That would mean Gilmore played it right by staying home but AW blew it.

I don't, of course, know if that was the case. And neither do you.

Gilmore just stopped. Can't do that even if you think you have safety help (he really didn't). Decker burned him again later.

What? This happens all the time by design. a CB will stop and sit to bait the QB to throw the Ball into that zone and then the Safety normally picsk up that deep route.

Hey but I guess anything to say "Gilmore sucks"

I don't recall reading or hearing anything today from the team about the blown coverage play when Decker got free behind everyone at the end of the half. I was dumbfounded that this defense would allow something so blatant with seconds remaining in the half (until, of course, I realized that we always screw up at the end of the half).

Just wondering if anyone mentioned that it was a specific blown coverage or what. Looked to me like Aaron was playing too close, rather than way back, but it's hard to tell.

Highlighted the answer. not that I am happy about it, but it's all that can be said...Luckily it didn't cost them. Gilmore was definitely expecting help over the top...

Edited by ricojes

What? This happens all the time by design. a CB will stop and sit to bait the QB to throw the Ball into that zone and then the Safety normally picsk up that deep route.

Go watch the replay. He wasn't bating the QB on a 40 yard pass already in the air. He should have seen that AW wasn't there over the top.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It NEVER happens to WEO's beloved Patriots. They are all too smart for any CB or safety to ever make a mistake.

Go watch the replay. He wasn't bating the QB on a 40 yard pass already in the air. He should have seen that AW wasn't there over the top.

Haven't you ever heard players and coaches saying the primary thing a defensive player has to do is worry about his own assignment and trust his teammates will be where they're supposed to be?

But I get it, Gilmore sucks. Even when he doesn't.

It was cover two. A. Williams was supposed to drop to cover him and he didn't. Not sure what the debate is about other than a chance to bash Gilmore

This. The bigger question is why they weren't in cover 4 or a Prevent knowing Vick's arm strength and the whole world knowing he was going to chuck it deep.

Edited by SmokinES3

This. The bigger question is why they weren't in cover 4 or a Prevent knowing Vick's arm strength and knowing he was going to chuck it deep.

That's a big question. It's hard to criticize the Defense at all after last night, of course, but this play could have been a huge shift if the Jets didnt #$%@ it up.