Has anyone talked about the blown coverage play?

Rubes

Wonder if Cleveland noticed it too.

Teams have picked on Gilmore before.

with success.

But imo the defense has improved each week. as far as assignments go and communication. This one to Decker could have been bad.

But as mentioned this happens multiple time a game. Just a matter of if the QB sees it in time

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What zone resposibility did he have underneath? Go back and look at the rewind. He had to see AW was not there to help.

You keep saying this and it's simply wrong. Do you really think that Gilmore is supposed to run with his man, keeping track of him while keeping an eye in the backfield towards the ball AND look up field and see where his safety is? No, he's supposed to play his role and believe that his teammates will do their jobs.

Gilmore just stopped. Can't do that even if you think you have safety help (he really didn't). Decker burned him again later.

I thought coverage was tight on the later play -- Vick just dropped that one right in the bucket.

Edited by eball

Haven't you ever heard players and coaches saying the primary thing a defensive player has to do is worry about his own assignment and trust his teammates will be where they're supposed to be?

But I get it, Gilmore sucks. Even when he doesn't.

Always thought he was a big liability. But I think he is starting to get it. Im encouraged to see what the next year or so brings

Do people who watch the Bills piling up all of these sacks not understand that a good many of them are the result of QBs not being able to make quick throws because Gilmore is blanketing his man? The guy has been excellent and is still improving.

Definite screw-up by one of the two.

But as I mentioned in another thread, the Jets shouldn't have even had a drive at the end of the half if we had managed the clock better on the previous drive. Marrone mismanaged the timeouts. Again. Rinse and repeat.

On the TD drive, you mean? Every silver lining has a cloud....

Do people who watch the Bills piling up all of these sacks not understand that a good many of them are the result of QBs not being able to make quick throws because Gilmore is blanketing his man? The guy has been excellent and is still improving.

This is a good point. It's nice to be able to have seven guys in coverage most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

You keep saying this and it's simply wrong. Do you really think that Gilmore is supposed to run with his man, keeping track of him while keeping an eye in the backfield towards the ball AND look up field and see where his safety is? No, he's supposed to play his role and believe that his teammates will do their jobs.

Go back and watch the play. Who in the backfield is he watching on this deep pass?

Moving away from Gilmore criticism, I want to know how Decker is considered a #1 WR? He is running half-speed, turned sideways, looking back while the ball is in the air and only accelerates at the last moment, then has to dive. That is just not proper WR technique! That's the type of route running I'd expect out of a blocking-TE, a Fullback or TJ Graham, but not a legit #1 WR. I believe Vick placed this ball perfectly, with plenty of float, but Decker didn't want to run because he was so wide open and felt he shouldn't have to. He looked great in Denver, but that was mainly because of Peyton Manning, as well as refs looking the other way on rubs/picks and all the times he pushed off coverage to gain separation. Sanders has been far better than Decker ever was, ever will be.

Go back and watch the play. Who in the backfield is he watching on this deep pass?

Whether he was looking in the backfield on that particular play or not is irrelevant. I'm talking about his responsibilities in general. He is NEVER supposed to change what he's doing based on mistakes his teammates make in coverage. He is supposed to stick to his responsibilities and have faith that his teammates will do the same.