Misconceptions about Terry Pegula

1B4IDie

As the owner of the Sabres, Pegula has improved both the facilities and operations of the orgaization. He remodeled the locker room and built the Harbor Center, both meant to attract and retain players and staff. He's grown the scouting staff, purchased the Amerks to re-establish them as the farm team, and brought in "hockey" people to run the operation, even if all hires didn't work out (LaFontaine, Patrick, Murray). He's also contributed to the culture of the team by honoring alumni. He's offered financial support to back the decisions made by the "hockey people." In a recent interview, Tim Murray has indicated that Pegula is willing to eat a contract if the Staff decides to send a veteren to the minors.

It's not too far off to believe that Pegula will follow a similar course with the Bills. He'll improve their operations by bringing in 'football' guys to make decisions and improve the scouting department. He'll improve the facilities to compete for top coaching talent and free agents, ultimately resulting in plans for a new stadium. He'll contribute to the Bills culture, honoring players from the past.

I look at it this way. Next year, Mike Babcock, one of the best coaches in the NHL, is going to be a free agent. If he wants to test the market, Pegula can show him first-rate facilities to attract talent, plus he can show him the Harbor Center, which will be hosting development camps, combines, NCAA games, and international competitions all through the year, right across the street from his office. He'll have access to the leagues largest scouting staff, and can shuttle players to his farm team on a couple hours notice. Oh, and Pegual can afford to pay his coach the top salary in the league. Think this might be attractive to Babcock, or any other top coaching prospect?

I think Pegula will try to recreate this with the Bills. He'll evolve the facilities, infrastructure, and operations to ensure that the Bills can compete with the rest of the league for top talent at management, coaching, and player levels.

Edited by Perry Turtle

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the owner of the Sabres, Pegula has improved both the facilities and operations of the orgaization. He remodeled the locker room and built the Harbor Center, both meant to attract and retain players and staff. He's grown the scouting staff, purchased the Amerks to re-establish them as the farm team, and brought in "hockey" people to run the operation, even if all hires didn't work out (LaFontaine, Patrick, Murray). He's also contributed to the culture of the team by honoring alumni. He's offered financial support to back the decisions made by the "hockey people." In a recent interview, Tim Murray has indicated that Pegula is willing to eat a contract if the Staff decides to send a veteren to the minors.

It's not too far off to believe that Pegula will follow a similar course with the Bills. He'll improve their operations by bringing in 'football' guys to make decisions and improve the scouting department. He'll improve the facilities to compete for top coaching talent and free agents, ultimately resulting in plans for a new stadium. He'll contribute to the Bills culture, honoring players from the past.

I look at it this way. Next year, Mike Babcock, one of the best coaches in the NHL, is going to be a free agent. If he wants to test the market, Pegula can show him first-rate facilities to attract talent, plus he can show him the Harbor Center, which will be hosting development camps, combines, NCAA games, and international competitions all through the year, right across the street from his office. He'll have access to the leagues largest scouting staff, and can shuttle players to his farm team on a couple hours notice. Oh, and Pegual can afford to pay his coach the top salary in the league. Think this might be attractive to Babcock, or any other top coaching prospect?

I think Pegula will try to recreate this with the Bills. He'll evolve the facilities, infrastructure, and operations to ensure that the Bills can compete with the rest of the league for top talent at management, coaching, and player levels.

I agree that the 2020 plan is going to be Awesome for the Bills with a likely world class downtown stadium.

The off the field stuff for the Bills looks great.

I just don't see any concrete plans and I'm not as optimistic about a short term turn around with on the field performance because there is nothing to indicate there will be any on the field improvements.

Just win baby.

I agree that the 2020 plan is going to be Awesome for the Bills with a likely world class downtown stadium.

The off the field stuff for the Bills looks great.

I just don't see any concrete plans and I'm not as optimistic about a short term turn around with on the field performance because there is nothing to indicate there will be any on the field improvements.

Just win baby.

Okay, honestly, what do you want to see, right now, that will indicate this to your satisfaction?

The future definitely looks bright as far as the off-field developments are concerned. Pegula seems genuinely committed to the area and the plans for the off-field side of the team are pretty exciting.

On the field, I think the team is one quality player away from being a playoff contender. But the player in question is also the hardest position to fill, and that's at quarterback.

With rare exceptions, the best teams in the league are set at quarterback. Unfortunately the Bills are not. EJ seems to be a bust at this point and Orton was sitting on the couch. I guess I can respect the coaching staff for going all in with their convictions about EJ, but they were wrong.

The last time the Bills were relevant is when they were set at quarterback. Since then they have been inconsistent at best.

I think that the quarterback position, especially in this era, is the one thing that a team has to nail down.

It's sad that the Bills haven't done that, but I expect that if the team continues to lose, there will be a lot of changes at the end of the year. Pegula may be a "hands-off" kind of guy, but he just spent an estimated billion dollars. I don't think he's going to have a lot patience.

Okay, honestly, what do you want to see, right now, that will indicate this to your satisfaction?

The "football men" he might hire are all unemployed now so how about a nice dinner at Tempo?

Like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now I'm going to assume he will follow the DR path and give Brandon/Whaley/Marrone enough rope to hang themselves before he makes any moves.

I now know this is an extremely unpopular opinion that evokes blind rage in some fans.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Bills should have fired Marrone and hired Bill Cowher by now, dumped Spiller for a first, traded for Luck and flipped EJ for the first traded to Cleveland.

Since Pegula took over...

• Marrone fielded a pathetic team at home against the Patriots, where a win puts you in front of the division
  • He barely beat the Vikings that took a 4th and 20 miracle
  • He failed miserably TWICE in back-to-back games to comparable AFC teams and
  • In a short time took his team from playoff contention, to 4th worst in the conference.

He didn't order a pizza. He bought an NFL franchise. Marrone is as good as gone.

Since Pegula took over...

• Marrone fielded a pathetic team at home against the Patriots, where a win puts you in front of the division
  • He barely beat the Vikings that took a 4th and 20 miracle
  • He failed miserably TWICE in back-to-back games to comparable AFC teams and
  • In a short time took his team from playoff contention, to 4th worst in the conference.

He didn't order a pizza. He bought an NFL franchise. Marrone is as good as gone.

Are you simple? He literally just bought a 1.4 billion dollar business so I for one will allow for a grace period before making any major decisions. I don't doubt that Doug is on his way out but to act like he should have already fired him is pretty awful.

Some knee jerk reaction to do something for the sake of doing something would concern me far more than what we've seen. There is nothing that can be done today to fix this situation immediately. Until they prove otherwise, I'll trust them to take the right path.

The "football men" he might hire are all unemployed now so how about a nice dinner at Tempo?

Right now I'm going to assume he will follow the DR path and give Brandon/Whaley/Marrone enough rope to hang themselves before he makes any moves.

I now know this is an extremely unpopular opinion that evokes blind rage in some fans.

The Sabres made the playoffs the season Pegula bought them. They took the Flyers to seven games. Pegula had to make the decision to blow up a playoff team or to try to add resources to improve it. Maybe if the Sabres missed the playoffs, Pegula's choice would have been different.

I doubt that he would make many changes if the Bills lost in the first round of the playoffs, he'd work to address the key issues on the team. However, if the Bills miss the playoffs, he has shown that he is willing to change to plan B, and will make the necessary changes to execute the plan.

Isn't that sort of what he's doing right now?

Honest disclaimer: This is arguably the worst analogy I've ever seen.

It is but it is also pretty crazy what the OP is expecting (although honestly he may not realize it)

Look this what we should want from a new owner

- Hire the BEST AVAILABLE coaches, talent evaluators, and training staff

- Make sure FOOTBALL people are making the decisions and not having to answer to bean counters

- Make sure those people have the best available tools....whatever that may be

- Make sure that money is not an issue when it comes to getting talent right up to the salary cap.....none of this cash to crap stuff

- Then......get the hell out of the way

If you want Pegula to be effective....this is what you want

Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product.

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a hands off kinda guy.

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

He is not a football guy. He is not a hatchet man.

Get used to seeing Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley for a long time.

Terry is a savior to keep the team on Buffalo.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atleast the Bills are in Buffalo.

Yes, most owners are ex GM's, Coaches, Athletic Directors, or Heads of Scouting with massive amounts of experience in pro or major college football prior to ownership.

Yes, most owners are ex GM's, Coaches, Athletic Directors, or Heads of Scouting with massive amounts of experience in pro or major college football prior to ownership.

That is news to me.

I thought most were successful business men out of football.

Are you simple? He literally just bought a 1.4 billion dollar business so I for one will allow for a grace period before making any major decisions. I don't doubt that Doug is on his way out but to act like he should have already fired him is pretty awful.

When did I say that he should have already been fired? I just said your analogy was bad. If that makes me simple, fine.

Well, Mr. OP, if you think that Pegula can't bring in a highly sought after big name coach to set things right, then you must be forgetting Ron Rolston. And Ted Nolan.

And if you think that Pegula won't be able to re-sign Dareus, Hughes, Aaron Williams, and others, than you must be forgetting the magic he worked on Pominville, Vanek, and Miller.

So what makes you so sure, Mr. OP, that the Bills won't be winning the whole shebang next year, if the Sabres are any indication? Our hockey team is practically assured of four Stanley Cup in the next five years. Haven't you seen the projections? Do you know nothing about astrology? Because if you don't understand those things, then you just don't understand anything, and I shouldn't have even bumped your lousy thread.

Well, Mr. OP, if you think that Pegula can't bring in a highly sought after big name coach to set things right, then you must be forgetting Ron Rolston. And Ted Nolan.

And if you think that Pegula won't be able to re-sign Dareus, Hughes, Aaron Williams, and others, than you must be forgetting the magic he worked on Pominville, Vanek, and Miller.

So what makes you so sure, Mr. OP, that the Bills won't be winning the whole shebang next year, if the Sabres are any indication? Our hockey team is practically assured of four Stanley Cup in the next five years. Haven't you seen the projections? Do you know nothing about astrology? Because if you don't understand those things, then you just don't understand anything, and I shouldn't have even bumped your lousy thread.

Thank you for reminding me of what a complete uninformed buffoon I am.

Pegula did kill the BuffaSlug maybe he can kill Billy Buffalo and end this wretched curse!

talk about cutting a fella off at the knees, give the guy a break, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Syracuse(Three Stooges)

If he's smart he will climb into Robert Kraft's back pocket and learn how to build a winning team

Get lucky with a 6th round QB, and give him zero quality tools to throw to or run?

comments like yours why so serious, is what "chaps " us the most, jump off the wagon anytime you choose, but in reality we believe you and other malcontents couldn't do better, as momma used to say "if you can't say anything good, than don't say anything at all"

comments like yours why so serious, is what "chaps " us the most, jump off the wagon anytime you choose, but in reality we believe you and other malcontents couldn't do better, as momma used to say "if you can't say anything good, than don't say anything at all"

Cool Story, Bro.

I truly am not understanding the Pegula hate

Christ he just bought the team

Where is there hate?

Wrong on nearly every account. Bills have pretty decent talent for a change, but haven't turned the corner due to coaching and QB play. I can make a very strong argument that with better coaching of the offense, this team is in control of its destiny for a playoff spot this year. There's no reason they won't be competitive next year either, especially if they keep the defensive core intact and seriously address the offensive woes.,

A big reason the Bills have perennially sucked was due to the organization and management structure that Wilson put together. I don't think that Bills will have any problems recruiting top coaching talent anymore, and you won't have mythical roster and coaching meddling from Ft Lauderdale.

Agreed!

It is but it is also pretty crazy what the OP is expecting (although honestly he may not realize it)

Look this what we should want from a new owner

- Hire the BEST AVAILABLE coaches, talent evaluators, and training staff

- Make sure FOOTBALL people are making the decisions and not having to answer to bean counters

- Make sure those people have the best available tools....whatever that may be

- Make sure that money is not an issue when it comes to getting talent right up to the salary cap.....none of this cash to crap stuff

- Then......get the hell out of the way

If you want Pegula to be effective....this is what you want

Agreed and it is what I want!

16 years of no playoffs isn't bad outright. if there is a plan in place but again there is no Pegula dust.

We are stuck in the Mud and Pegula just pulled up in a limo and is looking at the situation. There is still no plan to get out of the rut and it is silly to think it's just magically going to be better next year.

Pegula bought the Sabres and let it play out. They made the playoffs and he decided to go all in with that team and front office. They came back and sucked so he fired everyone brought in a hockey person and let him work through the painstaking task of a complete rebuild. Not a single person has said he will snap his fingers and make this better except for you. People are excited about Pegula because he is keeping the team in Buffalo and he has shown a willingness to do what is necessary to improve an organization. The "plan" that you refer to is to let this season play out and re-evaluate the organization. Expecting some sweeping change and sudden competitiveness which I believe you refer as "Pegula dust" was never something any sane person claimed to believe in.

That is your opinion. The quality of the product and the sale of the product are very rarely linked. The best technology doesn't win the market if that were true why are there so many windows machines?

How is the on ice quality of the Sabres?

Oh yeah, just wait until the win the #1 or #2 pick by tanking then like maybe in 2019 they will be a force.

The rebuild is almost complete for the Sabres. Once they get the 1 or 2 pick (please let it be 1) they will have a generational talent and the turnaround at the NHL will be rapid. They will be exciting and compete for the playoffs immediately following next year's draft. Your arbitrary starting point of 2019 is ridiculous and you clearly don't follow hockey. Yes, some of the prospects will bust but they have a glut so if even 25% of their top guys pan out this will be a very good team for many many years.

Hockey teams have to be torn down when you lack impact talent much like baseball teams have to go through. I write for 2 websites covering baseball and scouting prospects and I happen to be a diehard Cubs fan. The educated Cubs fan knew that Theo Epstein had to gut the organization, experience epically bad teams to setup the brightest future in baseball. The Cubs are now a couple starting pitchers from competing for their division and setting up for a decade plus of good baseball with championship aspirations, so it's time for them to spend the necessary money and stop selling the hope from the last 3 years.

In football, if you have the right coach and a good QB you can compete right away despite your other shortcomings. Guess what? Those two situations cannot be remedied overnight especially when the team is purchased mid-season, so your agenda is to simply say "They bought the team a month ago why the hell isn't everything better?!?!?!" and stomping your fit in a juvenile fit. The "Pegula dust" will come in the form of money which will allow them to at least be in the market for top flight coaches. Whaley traded away the first pick next year (before Pegula bought the team mind you) so a significant change isn't going to happen there right away because NOBODY is going to trade a QB capable of fixing an offense because they don't grow on trees. Your lack of understanding the difference between fixing a hockey organization and a football organization is breathtaking, and right now I can't believe I spent the last 5 minutes trying to explain it to you because your agenda will be unwavering. In the end, if you think Pegula is going to just sit back and let the status quo continue then why the hell are you still a fan of the team? It makes no sense and you should probably spend your Sundays doing something different.

so your agenda is to simply say "They bought the team a month ago why the hell isn't everything better?!?!?!" and stomping your fit in a juvenile fit.

This is not my agenda. Zero of my posts have any attitude like this. If one were to read my posts zero of the posts make any reference to a demand for a short turnaround. This is an assumption you are making based on zero of my source material. It is an incorrect assumption.

Whaley traded away the first pick next year (before Pegula bought the team mind you) so a significant change isn't going to happen there right away because NOBODY is going to trade a QB capable of fixing an offense because they don't grow on trees. Your lack of understanding the difference between fixing a hockey organization and a football organization is breathtaking, and right now I can't believe I spent the last 5 minutes trying to explain it to you because your agenda will be unwavering. In the end, if you think Pegula is going to just sit back and let the status quo continue then why the hell are you still a fan of the team? It makes no sense and you should probably spend your Sundays doing something different.

My point is simple The Bills are in for a long rebuild this will not be a quick turnaround. Which it seems like you agree based on your post.

There are many many many many posters that believe Pegula will somehow turn the Bills around in the short term.

I see no evidence of a shot term turnaround happening, yet people are under the misconception that Bills on the field product is going to magically improve simply because Pegula bought the Bills.

The rebuild is almost complete for the Sabres. Once they get the 1 or 2 pick (please let it be 1) they will have a generational talent and the turnaround at the NHL will be rapid. They will be exciting and compete for the playoffs immediately following next year's draft.

I agree about the talent stockpiling. But in hockey draft picks very rarely start contributing as quickly as you are predicting. Most will spend a few years in the juniors and/or the AHL, then have their rookie seasons up at the NHL level, THEN be ready to contribute. Even the two most promising kids, Zadarov and Ristolainen, who I predict will have very good NHL careers based on what they have shown so far, should not be playing in the NHL right now. They should be in the development leagues and are only up at the Sabres because of how badly the Sabres suck right now. Though they beat the Sharks last night for the 2nd time this season, and soundly ... go figure.

I agree the Sabres are on the right path regarding growing their own talent, I'm not sold entirely on Ted Nolan yet but we will see. However I think next year is probably 2 years anyway too soon to expect a strong team.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree about the talent stockpiling. But in hockey draft picks very rarely start contributing as quickly as you are predicting. Most will spend a few years in the juniors and/or the AHL, then have their rookie seasons up at the NHL level, THEN be ready to contribute. Even the two most promising kids, Zadarov and Ristolainen, who I predict will have very good NHL careers based on what they have shown so far, should not be playing in the NHL right now. They should be in the development leagues and are only up at the Sabres because of how badly the Sabres suck right now. Though they beat the Sharks last night for the 2nd time this season, and soundly ... go figure.

I agree the Sabres are on the right path regarding growing their own talent, I'm not sold entirely on Ted Nolan yet but we will see. However I think next year is probably 2 years anyway too soon to expect a strong team.

Thank you

I was not going to argue the point but the way I see it is best case scenario:

2014-2015 - Worst team in the league

2015 - 2016 - "Learning how to win as a team" season: maybe new coach maybe some youngsters contributing, might sneak into 8th seed

2016 - 2017 - Solid Playoff team (4-6 seed)

2017 - 2018 - Eastern Conference Top dog maybe Cup Contender

2018 - 2019 - Solid Cup contender

2019 is not "ridiculous" it is actually a more realistic timeline for when the Sabres farm systems contributes to making the Sabres a Cup contender in the NHL.

Thank you

I was not going to argue the point but the way I see it is best case scenario:

2014-2015 - Worst team in the league

2015 - 2016 - "Learning how to win as a team" season: maybe new coach maybe some youngsters contributing, might sneak into 8th seed

2016 - 2017 - Solid Playoff team (4-6 seed)

2017 - 2018 - Eastern Conference Top dog maybe Cup Contender

2018 - 2019 - Solid Cup contender

2019 is not "ridiculous" it is actually a more realistic timeline for when the Sabres farm systems contributes to making the Sabres a Cup contender in the NHL.

If McDavid and Eichel are as good as they have been tabbed this is all wrong. Crosby took the Penguins from bottom feeders to division champs in a season. If they don't get either of those guys then yes the rebuild will go into 2019. The Sabres have talent that is ready to play in the NHL sitting in Rochester it's not like this is the beginning of the rebuild.

You haven't outright stated your agenda but you won't move off this ridiculous "Pegula Dust" argument you're making and it's annoying. This thread served no purpose.

If McDavid and Eichel are as good as they have been tabbed this is all wrong. Crosby took the Penguins from bottom feeders to division champs in a season. If they don't get either of those guys then yes the rebuild will go into 2019. The Sabres have talent that is ready to play in the NHL sitting in Rochester it's not like this is the beginning of the rebuild.

You haven't outright stated your agenda but you won't move off this ridiculous "Pegula Dust" argument you're making and it's annoying. This thread served no purpose.

I have stated it.

Try reading it.