Is It Time To Start EJ, Again?

Peace Frog

let us say just for "argument" sake, that's the next plan, what would be the next move if he "flounders gain", who would pick up the ball, a "unproven third stringer" , Christ Almighty isn't there enough " soap opera crap" now with out adding more drama

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but Marrone said in the presser that Orton is the starter and bringing EJ in has never entered his mind. However, he said the exact same thing immediately after the Houston game and still made the switch two days later.

So we will see...but its time to put EJ back in. All talk has been about how much better EJ has been looking in practice...so see if he learned anything and let the kid play. We don't have anything to lose at this point. He has the tools, just needs to play with more confidence and take more chances and even said so himself after his benching.

I'm beginning to think that not too much actual football analysis enters Doug's mind.

Starting EJ again sends such a terrible message to the rest of the locker room. He's basically telling the team that he's given up.

"Hey guys, remember the QB that I said no longer gives us the best chance at winning? Well, he's our starting QB again. Let's go out there and play hard now!"

I would agree with this. And, Orton is still the best qb on the roster. The problem is he is being asked to throw the ball too much. He's a 20 attempt per game QB most likely. We need a better running game and to take longer shots down the field (perhaps to M. Williams also) to open up the running game.

It's not time to start EJ. It is time for Orton to stop playing like EJ and start hitting on some downfield throws. He's getting more conservative and more inaccurate it seems on anything past 15 yds. Orton should play fast and loose against the Jets. Don't be gun shy about throwing deep.

Obviously yes.

We need to know what we have on our roster this season to know what to do in off season and draft.

Given ortons long career we know what we have in him, and its not the answer.

EJ is the unknown. Let's start him for the last 6 and this way get a much better handle on who he is.

Edited by JTSP

Finding a franchise QB needs to be Buffalo's top priority now IMO,

So yes, start EJ and finish evaluating him because we already know what we have in Kyle Orton

If the consensus opinion was that EJ wasn't ready to play and needed time to develop then what benefit is there of playing him again? Should we believe that he's learned a lot in the last month and a half?

We already know he's a guy that will revert back to old habits once things don't go his way so I wouldn't want to see the last 2 months of learning and refinement go to waste once he's thrown back to the wolves.

I'd prefer to just let him sit and see what he's got next summer in camp.

Really? How do you know that?

Why are we better in every major offensive category last year versus this year? EJ started the bulk of the games last, Orton the bulk of the games this year. Not to mention, this team averages more points per game with EJ than Orton. Not to mention this years team is more talented, experienced and healthier than last years offense.

So how can anyone say Orton is better with certainty? EJ has 14 full games, Orton 10 year Vet...not a fair comparison on just that alone. The last good offensive game was week 2 under EJ. I don't want to hear about the Jets game...the D gave us 6 turnovers and the offense was not efficient. We scored what we scored because of the D, not because of a dominating offensive effort.

EJ was playing poorly the 2 losses, he also was hit NINE times by just JJ Watt, not including the rest of the Houston team. The WHOLE offense stunk that game, much like it did yesterday.

EJ gets so much more hate than deserved, he's been better than he gets credit for. Where Orton gets every excuse in the book despite not being good against Det (pick 6 almost lost us the game), NE (INT did lose us the game), Minn (stunk until the last drive), KC (lost us the game with so many missed opportunities by him personally), and last night.

Ortons mythology is hilarious...I think it even eclipses Trent and Fitz. People see near 300 yards and think he was awesome, failing to recognize you can get 60% of that total on 2 good drives and suck the rest the game and still get 300 yards which is what he does. With EJ, they didn't open the offense up as much and he played to careful. Maybe now, they can let him run the full offense and he will play to win rather than play to lose. If he does that, he may just be better...but only one way to find out.

Only thing clear is that we are better in every team offensive category just about under EJ last year and this year.

This post is filled with so much cursory (and uninformed) analysis. It's a real shame.

Start EJ. Where is this going with Orton, 7-9, maybe 8-8, sure as hell not 10-6.

At least with giving EJ another 6 games, we can see if he's made any progress sitting and learning. I'm not getting my hopes up, but, I think it's worth a shot.

I'm sure the Doug's won't do it, would be interpreted as a sign they are "giving up" on season

Start EJ. Where is this going with Orton, 7-9, maybe 8-8, sure as hell not 10-6.

At least with giving EJ another 6 games, we can see if he's made any progress sitting and learning. I'm not getting my hopes up, but, I think it's worth a shot.

I'm sure the Doug's won't do it, would be interpreted as a sign they are "giving up" on season

To me its giving the keys back to EJ with the team at 500 and the opposite of giving up on the season,

why waste time when we can find out this season If EJ's the guy or not...

He has absolutely nothing to gain by quarterbacking a sinking ship. Barring injury, EJ stays on the bench until he competes for the job again next off-season.

GO BILLS!!!

Really? How do you know that?

Why are we better in every major offensive category last year versus this year? EJ started the bulk of the games last, Orton the bulk of the games this year. Not to mention, this team averages more points per game with EJ than Orton. Not to mention this years team is more talented, experienced and healthier than last years offense.

So how can anyone say Orton is better with certainty? EJ has 14 full games, Orton 10 year Vet...not a fair comparison on just that alone. The last good offensive game was week 2 under EJ. I don't want to hear about the Jets game...the D gave us 6 turnovers and the offense was not efficient. We scored what we scored because of the D, not because of a dominating offensive effort.

EJ was playing poorly the 2 losses, he also was hit NINE times by just JJ Watt, not including the rest of the Houston team. The WHOLE offense stunk that game, much like it did yesterday.

EJ gets so much more hate than deserved, he's been better than he gets credit for. Where Orton gets every excuse in the book despite not being good against Det (pick 6 almost lost us the game), NE (INT did lose us the game), Minn (stunk until the last drive), KC (lost us the game with so many missed opportunities by him personally), and last night.

Ortons mythology is hilarious...I think it even eclipses Trent and Fitz. People see near 300 yards and think he was awesome, failing to recognize you can get 60% of that total on 2 good drives and suck the rest the game and still get 300 yards which is what he does. With EJ, they didn't open the offense up as much and he played to careful. Maybe now, they can let him run the full offense and he will play to win rather than play to lose. If he does that, he may just be better...but only one way to find out.

Only thing clear is that we are better in every team offensive category just about under EJ last year and this year.

I know what I see. When I watch Orton I see a QB who is, at best, an average game manager type QB. He's a guy who'd be a quality backup, but not much better than marginal starter. When I watch Manuel I see a QB with a ton of physical talent, but poor accuracy, pocket presence and anticipation. He's a guy who will be lucky to be a decent backup in the NFL. He has plenty enough talent for some team to the and develop his game, but his odds of doing so are very, very long.

If a secret poll were conducted among the players on the roster, who do you think the team wold want starting next week? Assuming that all of our players actually want to win games for the rest of the season (and, perhaps even create a "winning culture" in Buffalo), how many do you suppose would say things like, "we should start building for next year," or "let's give ___(fill in the blank)___ a shot- we have nothing to lose?"

Regardless of how "done" our season is, I still want us to play every game to win. I believe that is what's best for the team in the long run. That, IMHO, is how you build a winning culture. If Kyle Orton is our best QB (he is), then he should start until he isn't.

Now may be time for Manuel’s return [12:54 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'I’d put Manuel back in now. I’ll admit, I was too quick to anoint Orton as a short-term answe

Bills should start EJ Manuel at quarterback [12:53 AM]

Rochester D&C reports: 'So I guess my question is, would you rather see the Bills finish 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 under Orton, who we know isn't the team's quarterback of the future, or Manuel, who still has potential to be?

Now may be time for Manuel’s return [12:54 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'I’d put Manuel back in now. I’ll admit, I was too quick to anoint Orton as a short-term answe

Bills should start EJ Manuel at quarterback [12:53 AM]

Rochester D&C reports: 'So I guess my question is, would you rather see the Bills finish 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 under Orton, who we know isn't the team's quarterback of the future, or Manuel, who still has potential to be?

All of this really doesn't matter much. We need to remember why the move was made to begin with; Doug Marrone had the Bills at .500 and was coaching for his job due to change of ownership. Now in week 11 , he is still .500 and there are only six games left. He's going to stick with Orton. There's a better chance of him snapping out of a two game funk that EJ coming in and sparking the Offense. He hasn't played in over a month. I'd consider going back to EJ at some point , but Marrone will not. He's going to sink or swim with Orton until the Bills are mathematically eliminated.

All of this really doesn't matter much. We need to remember why the move was made to begin with; Doug Marrone had the Bills at .500 and was coaching for his job due to change of ownership. Now in week 11 , he is still .500 and there are only six games left. He's going to stick with Orton. There's a better chance of him snapping out of a two game funk that EJ coming in and sparking the Offense. He hasn't played in over a month. I'd consider going back to EJ at some point , but Marrone will not. He's going to sink or swim with Orton until the Bills are mathematically eliminated.

Marrone is not going to save his job. It's over. The entire nation witnessed that the Bills have the worst HC and OC in the league on Thursday. There's no unringing that bell.

Marrone and Hackett should be fired and Manuel should start the rest of the season so they know at the end of the year if they have to trade for Manziel or sign a free agent that is capable of leading this team to the playoffs.

But alas, this is what a smart team would do.

Which .500 QB to play? The 24 year old with 14 career starts or the 31 year old with 80+ starts? I am much more inclined to suffer EJ's mistakes than Kyle's because he still has a chance to learn from his. JJ Watt and the Bills' inability to pick up a line stunt knocked EJ's development of the rails. Hit 18 times but sacked only twice tells me that he was too focused on the pass protection breakdowns to make enough good plays to sustain the offense. Now is the time to see if he can back on track behind an offensive line that has gotten better but is still not good enough to protect statuesque Kyle Orton.