Will Goodell Learn Anything From The Bills In Toronto Series ??

T master

With the Bills being sold to the Pegulas & them being able to see the Toronto series for what it really was a huge turd for Bills fans & other NFL fans in general , what will it take to realize that the idea of putting any team in a foreign country/city such as London is just as big of a toilet flusher for the league & other NFL teams ?

What is the obsession with making the NFL a global sport any more than what it all ready is ? They are making more money than they NEED to survive & it is better than it has ever been ! I know once greed gets rolling it's a hard thing to stop but most times to much of a good thing can hurt more than help !

Why don't they learn from the likes of NASCAR ? Their tracks use to be to capacity every weekend then they added more races , & changed the format . Now look at any given week end & you can see empty seats , the same with MLB more game & teams equal more revenue but less attendance per game ...

WHy mess with perfection ? If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Bills fans can attest to the fact that losing that one game a year to a foreign country , some one that has little or NO interest in the team really sucks ! Not to mention the added expense to every team that would have to go to London every season .

Bring back NFL Europe , that worked out well for players like our Fred Jackson . I personally will be boycotting the London games as a show that we don't need (or do i want) a team in any place but the U.S.

This is America's game & that is where it belongs let those other countries keep their football/soccer which folks here have said at times is bigger globally that the NFL . SO WHAT !!

Well have at it , you can go watch a bunch of guys run around a field for hrs & score 1 goal i will be spending my week ends watching the NFL & when the NFL is not in season i will watch other American sports .

Just to add fuel put a European football game on TV on a sunday afternoon during the NFL season & see which one has a higher TV rating . If by chance the only TV game would be in London then i would be watching just to prove that the NFL RULES over soccer .

OH what was soccers last TV contract worth in the U.S. ?

Personal opinion i hope the london thing fades gracefully into the sunset , or like the Toronto series falls flat on it's face & Goodell realizes our NFL needs to stay here !! Let them come here & spend the money here instead of shipping our jobs over seas like the U.S. has done so successfully with a bunch of our other jobs NOT !! (how has that worked for us ?)

Edited by T master

With the Bills being sold to the Pegulas & them being able to see the Toronto series for what it really was a huge turd for Bills fans & other NFL fans in general , what will it take to realize that the idea of putting any team in a foreign country such as London is just as big of a toilet flusher for the league & other NFL teams ?

What is the obsession with making the NFL a global sport any more than what it all ready is ? They are making more money than they NEED to survive & it is better than it has ever been ! I know once greed gets rolling it's a hard thing to stop but most times to much of a good thing can hurt more than help !

Why don't they learn from the likes of NASCAR ? Their tracks use to be to capacity every weekend then they added more races , & changed the format . Now look at any given week end & you can see empty seats , the same with MLB more game & teams equal more revenue but less attendance per game ...

WHy mess with perfection ? If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

Bills fans can attest to the fact that losing that one game a year to a foreign country , some one that has little or NO interest in the team really sucks ! Not to mention the added expense to every team that would have to go to London every season .

Bring back NFL Europe , that worked out well for players like our Fred Jackson . I personally will be boycotting the London games as a show that we don't need (or do i want) a team in any place but the U.S.

This is America's game & that is where it belongs let those other countries keep their football/soccer which folks here have said at times is bigger globally that the NFL . SO WHAT !!

Well have at it , you can go watch a bunch of guys run around a field for hrs & score 1 goal i will be spending my week ends watching the NFL & when the NFL is not in season i will watch other American sports .

Just to add fuel put a European football game on TV on a sunday afternoon during the NFL season & see which one has a higher TV rating . If by chance the only TV game would be in London then i would be watching just to prove that the NFL RULES over soccer .

OH what was soccers last TV contract worth in the U.S. ?

Personal opinion i hope the london thing fades gracefully into the sunset , or like the Toronto series falls flat on it's face & Goodell realizes our NFL needs to stay here !! Let them come here & spend the money here instead of shipping our jobs over seas like the U.S. has done so successfully with a bunch of our other jobs NOT !! (how has that worked for us ?)

You sir are the very definition of the ugly American, and you do so proudly :)

But you can't really make any kind of comparison between the Toronto fiasco and putting a team in a foreign city. All the Toronto series did was to have a ****ty team play one regular season game, and one worthless preseason game with scrubs playing, in Toronto per year. The difference between that and having a team based in a city is so huge, there should be no reason to explain why .... everyone should be able to see that.

But the real motivation for wanting teams outside the US is obviously money. You say the NFL is making more money than they need, but the NFL obviously disagrees with you. They need MORE always. And they have pretty much saturated every US avenue they can. I doubt they could wring much more out of the US TV contract for example. The only solution is to open up more markets. They will never get foreign TV to pay what they want without teams in those foreign markets. It's really as simple as that. It's the NFL remember, show me the money.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think Toronto woukd be a good market with its own expansion team in a new stadium. Buffalo could have a great rivalry. I think London will be first given the volume of games they now play there and also the Jags have their eyes on a move. They pack in Wembley when the NFL plays there.

You sir are the very definition of the ugly American, and you do so proudly :)

But you can't really make any kind of comparison between the Toronto fiasco and putting a team in a foreign city. All the Toronto series did was to have a ****ty team play one regular season game, and one worthless preseason game with scrubs playing, in Toronto per year. The difference between that and having a team based in a city is so huge, there should be no reason to explain why .... everyone should be able to see that.

But the real motivation for wanting teams outside the US is obviously money. You say the NFL is making more money than they need, but the NFL obviously disagrees with you. They need MORE always. And they have pretty much saturated every US avenue they can. I doubt they could wring much more out of the US TV contract for example. The only solution is to open up more markets. They will never get foreign TV to pay what they want without teams in those foreign markets. It's really as simple as that. It's the NFL remember, show me the money.

See: The NBA. They will have a European division within 10 years.

At least it's not a home game.

They should just move the Jags to London.

Since their new owner bought the franchise, everyone has assumed that this was his long play. To transfer the Jags to London. However, I will say he's tried his dangdest to get the Jags to be more popular in Jacksonville with the stadium renovations, ticket prices, etc.

If he decides to move him, it's no one's fault but the people of Jacksonville.

No team should move to London. This market expansion under Goodell is getting out of hand.

Start a new league, or have no teams in Europe.

I agree. I think games here is one thing a team here is another.

The other issue I see with expansion is the inbalance of the league. 32 teams works perfectly. If they expanded to 36 (one in London, one in LA) how do they make that work numerically?

Son, you need to see the big picture. The Toronto series helped generate interest in NFL ownership from Toronto and business interests in that city. That was a major factor in the eventual $1.4B purchase price for the Bills.

How much were you sweating while testifying in the Ray Rice appeals process? Degree deodorant only works so well. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

See: The NBA. They will have a European division within 10 years.

The NBA has been saying this for twenty years... I don't see it happening. Too many hurdles with travel and an 82 game schedule. The only way it would work is if it was its own conference and the US winner faced off against the Euro winner for the finals. But even that would be a logistical nightmare.

No matter how small telecommunications has made the world, it still takes a long time to travel thousands of miles -- especially if you're trying to play 4 games a week.