What show to start?

The Underdog

Just watched the first episode of Lethal Weapon last night. I was really surprised at how high budget it appeared. Also love anything Wayans so if you haven't yet checked it out...

I couldn't get through it. Stopped half way.

The beauty of Riggs' character in the original film is that you don't know if he's crazy or suicidal. By opening the show with his wife's death that completely ruins his character arc. So now we know he's not crazy, we know he's a "good guy" who lost his wife and kid right away. That removes all the tension between him and Murtaugh, not to mention the original film was a send up of 70s cop movies and the launching of the "buddy movie" -- both of those elements are gone. Now there's no mystery about Riggs, no tension between he and Roger, it's just a cop show now... which is what Lethal Weapon was sending up originally. :doh:

Plus, adding some hate to my fire, they credit Shane Black with the "story" when he had zero to do with it.

/rant

Just finished the first season of "Queen of the South" on USA. It was pretty good. Didn't seem like a huge budget, but looking forward to season 2. Also, a couple more interesting USA shows coming soon, The Shooter and Eyewitness.

Watched the first 2 episodes of "Designated Survivor", so far pretty entertaining.

Edited by ricojes

Looking forward to the release of 'Black Mirror' season 3 on Netflix on 10/21. Doubled the amount of episodes this season, too. It's a modern day 'Twilight Zone' of sorts and I urge everyone to check it out if you haven't already.

I couldn't get through it. Stopped half way.

The beauty of Riggs' character in the original film is that you don't know if he's crazy or suicidal. By opening the show with his wife's death that completely ruins his character arc. So now we know he's not crazy, we know he's a "good guy" who lost his wife and kid right away. That removes all the tension between him and Murtaugh, not to mention the original film was a send up of 70s cop movies and the launching of the "buddy movie" -- both of those elements are gone. Now there's no mystery about Riggs, no tension between he and Roger, it's just a cop show now... which is what Lethal Weapon was sending up originally. :doh:

Plus, adding some hate to my fire, they credit Shane Black with the "story" when he had zero to do with it.

/rant

I think you and I look for different things from our tv shows :D

I usually am looking for something fairly mindless after a long day and I'm not afraid to admit it lol :beer:

Just finished the first season of "Queen of the South" on USA. It was pretty good. Didn't seem like a huge budget, but looking forward to season 2. Also, a couple more interesting USA shows coming soon, The Shooter and Eyewitness.

Watched the first 2 episodes of "Designated Survivor", so far pretty entertaining.

LOVE this show. It's in that rare spot for me that when it's over I'm pissed I have to wait another week for the next one.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom on Netflix, it was excellent. I'm not familiar with the history of England at the time but it seems to be Vikings against the English and the main character Uhtred is in the middle of all of it. It was a bit bloody but the story line starts off strong, so far my lady likes it as well so that's always a plus.

Hey everybody... I was wondering what shows you guys recommend. I'm looking to start a new series and I have it narrowed down to a few. As much as I love Modern Family and The Office, I'm looking to watch a more serious series. I have already seen Breaking Bad and loved it. I think i have it narrowed down to:

1. Homeland (but I heard the 1st season is amazing but then it really tails off)

2. True Detective (heard its really good but also really weird)

3. The Americans

Any input you guys have would be cool, if you have seen any of them (don't give too much away, haha). Also open to any other suggestions if there is a show that you would consider a "must see."

Thanks guys!

THE AMERICANS - all the way - effin great show. - if you grew up in the 70's and 80's

If not, you probably won't appreciate it as much.

Ray Donavan on Showtime is a friggin wicked awesome series too.

Edited by PolishDave

Just watched the first episode of The Last Kingdom on Netflix, it was excellent. I'm not familiar with the history of England at the time but it seems to be Vikings against the English and the main character Uhtred is in the middle of all of it. It was a bit bloody but the story line starts off strong, so far my lady likes it as well so that's always a plus.

I had brought up The Last Kingdom much earlier in this thread. Season one was excellent. Season 2 is in the works and will be broadcast on BBC America if you get that

And yes, England at that time was a bloody place. That Uhtred character in the middle of it all is a fictional character, still a medieval badass tho. But that Alfred guy, well he was pretty Great too

Vikings returns on Nov 30.

On a related note, Alfred in The Last Kingdom is the same Alfred in Vikings (but at different ages)

Historical spoiler alert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_the_Great

Edited by /dev/null

• 2 weeks later...

I made it thru S1 of Black Mirror a couple days ago. After S1E3 finished before S2E1 started I noticed Netflix had a new season of Dark Matter. Which I then promptly exited Black Mirror in favor of Dark Matter.

If youre not familiar with Dark Matter, it's your standard sci-fi spaceship crew show.