Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

The weirdest things that need to happen are all within the Bills' control. They do actually control their own destiny by winning football games.

Yea I just plugged it in and if they go 10-6 there is still a real possibility they get in.

Of course they need some help, but the loses they need aren't crazy ones like Jets over Dolphins or Oakland over KC (again).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver is supremely talented but they have been anything but dominant over the past month...it's becoming less of an anomaly and more of a pattern. Buffalo's defense is the real deal -- much better than I ever hoped for going into the season.

Couple the Bills pass rush against what looks like a slowing down Manning and hopefully a motivated and focused Orton, the Denver game could be right there for the Bills.

Orton seems like the type of guy that wants to show Denver they screwed up. I hope it snows like a mofo and M Williams plays like he did last night. He will put the fear of God in Manning.

Oh yeah Bills first need to beat a pretty darn good Cleveland team. Hoyer is no joke. He can be had but if you let them stay around he is good enough to win in Buffalo.

I would love the scenario above with a bunch of 7-5 teams and the Bills being one. It has been far too long since we had something to really cheer about in December.

Plug in the winners based on defense rank and the Bills win out, win the division and are the 2nd seed with a bye. The pigs will be flying out of my arse, but hey, that's what the machine says.

by "defensive rank" the Bills get the #2 seed.

talk about la la land.... you forgot to mention that the Putrids would miss the playoffs

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

9-7 and you would need a ton of help, basically you'd need Miami, KC, Pitt and San Diego to implode.

do they really need to "implode" or just lose a few games? None of those teams are very consistent. KC was until the Raiders loss and they have a tough schedule. Pitt has an easy schedule but seem to lose to bad teams.

The optimism in this thread is breathtaking. Lol Being a realist, it's likely the Bills will win only 2 more games this year, if that.

Y'all have seen how they've been playing all year long, right?

The real frustrating thing is that if they had a better QB, and a better Offensive Coordinator, they'd be serious contenders to win it all.

do they really need to "implode" or just lose a few games? None of those teams are very consistent. KC was until the Raiders loss and they have a tough schedule. Pitt has an easy schedule but seem to lose to bad teams.

Well seeing as they are sitting at 7-4 and you'd have to ask them to go 1-4 down the stretch, I'd call that implode

Yup, first up is taking care of Cleveland. They have a tough D, and apparently Hoyer can make some plays. Lets go!

The optimism in this thread is breathtaking. Lol Being a realist, it's likely the Bills will win only 2 more games this year, if that.

Y'all have seen how they've been playing all year long, right?

The real frustrating thing is that if they had a better QB, and a better Offensive Coordinator, they'd be serious contenders to win it all.

Most likely record is 7-9, but there's still hope. What's wrong with hope?

Someone has a signature talking about how the Bills end up every season: beating bad to mediocre teams and losing to the average to better teams. Well, nothing's changed so far this year:

Teams they've beaten have a combined record of 26-40, or .394.

Teams they've lost to have a combined record of 34-21, or .618.

Until the Bills start beating good teams like perhaps Cleveland but definitely Denver, Green Bay, or New England, they're not playoff caliber.

Until the Bills start beating good teams like perhaps Cleveland but definitely Denver, Green Bay, or New England, they're not playoff caliber.

Cleveland is beatable, particularly in Buffalo. Denver suddenly seems like they can be beaten as well if the D line can get to Manning like they got to dog killer last night and Woods and Watkins can both play like Woods did last night. But GB and NE* seem like superbowl contenders lately. The Bills can certainly make it entertaining, let's see if they do.

How critical were those losses to Houston and KC now?

The frustrating thing about this team is with those games won they would be in the driver's seat for a WC spot... so annoying

Well they EASILY could have lost to the Vikings (4th and 98) and to the Lions (58 yard field goal) so it really evens out in the end. They will always win some they shouldn't have and lose some they shouldn't have as well.....

How critical were those losses to Houston and KC now?

The frustrating thing about this team is with those games won they would be in the driver's seat for a WC spot... so annoying

Very frustrating to have thrown those two games away. They'd be the talk of the league at 8-3 right now.

The problem with Denver is that you're never going to "shut them down" no matter how good your defense is. They're beatable if your defense can do a good job at slowing them down AND you have an offense that can keep pace with theirs. I think that's a pretty tall order for the Bills. We've only really scored a lot of points on bad teams and have struggled to run up the score on good teams even when we're dominating the game.

Denver's defense is pretty damn good. We're not going to win that game kicking field goals all day.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

At this point, the playoff picture is clear to me. Cleveland is a must win game. If they lose to Cleveland, their season is definitively over. Cleveland would essentially have a three game advantage over the Bills by virtue of the tiebreaker, with only 4 games left to play. Extending out the scenario, if you assume that Cleveland loses all the other games on their schedule, then Baltimore by virtue of that would pick up a win. If you assume that Baltimore then loses every game except the Cleveland game, then Miami and San Diego would both pick up wins. So now we're talking about a Miami team that wins the tiebreaker over Buffalo anyway (by virtue of division record); that has two games left this season against the Jets.

So the way I see this is that the Bills have to win against Cleveland out of the gates next week. It will then come down to whether they can actually put it all together and win against teams that they shouldn't win against. A loss to both Denver on the road and Green Bay at home would also end their season (IMO). A split or winning both of those games (which I admit is highly improbable) would put them in the driver seat. They pretty much have to beat what may be the worst team in the NFL in the Raiders. There is no doubt in my mind that if they're not sitting at 10-5 or 9-6 come the final road game at New England, they have no shot. A 9-7 record will not be good enough to get them there by virtue of all the tiebreakers and the fact that much of their competition has to play each other in multiple games. I.e. someone will be taking Wins no matter what.