Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then...in true Buffalo fashion, we lose to Denver and Green Bay...We lay an egg in Oakland...and then all we need to do is beat the Patriots 3rd string...and we finish 9-7. The script is written...

I HATE to admit, I thought the same thing, many on here have, but let's not dwell on the inevitable. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I see us making it. 8-8 at worst. 99-7 at best. Denver and New England could run the season out without losing. Dark horse Pburgh is in the same boat.

This weekend I san absolute MUST win IMO. Dropping to 5-4 would drop the Bills down to maybe 10th position in AFC playoff picture, and playing three of the best QB's the last four games of the season is going to make it difficult to make up any ground.

I don't know if I see us making it. 8-8 at worst. 99-7 at best. Denver and New England could run the season out without losing. Dark horse Pburgh is in the same boat.

Very unlikely the Patriots don't lose again. They have a very tough schedule ahead, I expect at least 2 losses for them. 8 straight wins isn't going to happen.

unfortunately there are 14 other teams yet to play this week. Therefore an update after TNF is bogus.

just saying. you can't rely on partial stats

The irony in this post is unbelievable. Coming from the person who after 4-5 games was insisting the Bills were not 1st against the run because they had given up more yards than teams that had byes despite the fact that they were in fact 1st in YPG allowed.

This seems relevant for this thread:

Bengals - 5-3 (conf 4-3)

Steelers - 6-4 (conf 5-3)

Ravens - 6-4 (conf 3-4)

Miami - 5-4 (conf 4-2)

Houston - 4-5 (conf 3-2) w/ head-to-head win against Bills

Chiefs - 6-3 (conf 5-2) w/ head-to-head win against Bills

Chargers - 5-4 (conf 4-3) w/ head-to-head win against the Bills

Bills - 5-4 (conf 2-4)

That doesn't even include the 4 current division leaders that could get knocked out of the lead and compete with us for a WC spot who have conference records of 5-2, 4-3, 5-2, and 4-1.

Buffalo wins out and New England loses one time between now and prior to week 17 --Buffalo wins the division.

turnovers at inopportune times have killed Buffalo

1. Houstin...no pick 6, Buffalo gets a FG...Buffalo would have lead 201-13 late in the game (thus Houston doesnt kick that FG late)

2. New England---13 gimmie points off of turnovers...the score 37-24. Bufalo doesnt give up one of those 2 long pass TDS makes a difference as well.

3. Kansas City---score likely 23-10 without the 2 turnovers.

San Diego was the only game they lost---they likely would have been different if they were playing them now.

This seems relevant for this thread:

Don't be silly. You conform and start a new thread. Duh!

Seriously though, good find. Much appreciated in both threads you posted that in.

Buffalo wins out and New England loses one time between now and prior to week 17 --Buffalo wins the division.

turnovers at inopportune times have killed Buffalo

1. Houstin...no pick 6, Buffalo gets a FG...Buffalo would have lead 201-13 late in the game (thus Houston doesnt kick that FG late)

2. New England---13 gimmie points off of turnovers...the score 37-24. Bufalo doesnt give up one of those 2 long pass TDS makes a difference as well.

3. Kansas City---score likely 23-10 without the 2 turnovers.

San Diego was the only game they lost---they likely would have been different if they were playing them now.

San Diego was a totally winnable game. Combination of poor line play and penalties. Now I am not stating they would have won if those issues were not the case, just that there was room for it to swing in our favor. Way closer than the 12 point swing would suggest.

Well, I had them needing to go 3-1 in November to stay in the thick of the race. I can't imagine the Bills going undefeated in November as they are 6-18 the past 6 Novembers. I had us losing to Miami. So that becomes a must win and we still must win our other two home games vs Jets and Browns. If losing to the Chiefs was that damaging vs losing to the Fish then maybe we weren't really n it to start with. I know it would have given us head to head over Chiefs but they still have some tough games left. I still think they need 8 wins going into December to have any shot. Looks like the best we can do in conference will be 6-6 tho. That may not get it done but I can't see us beating the Broncos or Pats.

It's aggravating because any other season over the past 5 years the Bills would still be in great position for a WC spot(and when's the last time we could say that?) but the AFC is on fire this year. We would need so many decent-to-good teams to tank the rest of the season while the Bills win an almost impossible 6 out of their the next 7 to make a WC spot. It's just not meant to be this year.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

What sucks is every year I tend to judge how well we've done by how late into the season it is before we are eliminated. Get us into December with a mathematical chance and I start drinking serious quantities of kool aid. But then, year after year, it's eventually over.

Well people who are telling this board to "relax" can suck it. 14 years without playoffs and they put up this pitiful game today we all deserve the right to vent. Suddenly 8-8 is a let down which is where we'll end up taking 3 more wins this entire year. Another season with our heads in the sand come playoff time. It's like the last day of summer, you know when you feel that cold come on that it won't end for another 5-6 months. Well here we are feeling that cold and readying ourselves for hibernation. It's been real and the team did trick us into thinking we had a shot when all it took were some horrible tragedies and the curse still stands.

What sucks is every year I tend to judge how well we've done by how late into the season it is before we are eliminated. Get us into December with a mathematical chance and I start drinking serious quantities of kool aid. But then, year after year, it's eventually over.

You're absolutely right but it's not a very fair yardstick to measure this season with. The team IS better this year. But so is the rest of the AFC. It's basically only the type of bad luck the Bills can have.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain