Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 8, Bills at Jets

Dan

Week 8: Buffalo Bills at New York Jets

Sunday, October 26, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon

DirecTV: 712

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 84 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The Buffalo Bills are in the AFC East race riding their best start in three years, though they'll have a much different look offensively with their once-dangerous backfield tandem out of action.

As the visiting Bills look to win five of their first eight for the second time in six years, the New York Jets hope to avoid losing seven in a row for the first time since 2005 in Percy Harvin's debut Sunday.

Kyle Orton capped a 15-play, 80-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown pass to rookie Sammy Watkins with one second remaining last week as Buffalo kept pace with division-leading Patriots (5-2). Watkins -- the fourth overall pick -- leads the Bills with 35 receptions for 433 yards and four TDs and is coming off his best game as a pro after finishing with nine catches for 122 yards and two scores.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills at Jets NFL.com Preview 

CBS Sports.com Preview

Jets Insider: Jets - Bills Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Jets

Total Yds/Game.... 333.6         320.4

Total Rush............. 103.4          135.0

Total Pass............. 230.1         185.4

Points/Game..........  19.3           17.3

Time of Poss..........  29.5           30.1

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 328.0         326.6

Rush Yards...........  80.4          88.0

Pass Yards........... 247.6         238.6

Points Allowed........ 20.3           26.4

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 22nd; Jets - 26th

Overall Defense: Bills - 10th; Jets -  8th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills 24, 10, 12,

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Brooks, Ron             CB          Groin          -          -          LP          Probable

Easley, Marcus          WR          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Goodwin, Marquise       WR        Hamstring          DNP          DNP          DNP       Doubtful

Jackson, Fred           RB          Groin          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Powell, Ty              LB          Ankle          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Spikes, Brandon         LB          Ribs          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Watkins, Sammy          WR          Groin          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Williams, Mario         DE          Thumb          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Williams, Aaron         S          Neck          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New York Jets

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Aboushi, Oday           OL         Shoulder          LP          LP          FP          Probable

Adams, Phillip          CB          Groin          LP          LP          FP          Probable

Barnes, Antwan          LB          Knee          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Colon, Willie           G          Knee          LP          LP          FP          Probable

Decker, Eric            WR        Hamstring          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Harris, David           LB         Shoulder          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Johnson, Chris          RB          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Mangold, Nick           C         Shoulder          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Powell, Bilal           RB          Foot          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Reilly, Trevor         OLB          Knee          DNP          LP          LP          Questionable

Salas, Greg             WR      Wrist/Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Walls, Darrin           CB          Knee          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Source: NewYorkJets.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Jets -3

Over/Under: 40.5

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game: 

Mid-season is upon us and we’re going to find out a lot about our team and the remainder of the season this week. With a win we’re 5-3, 2-1 in the division, and heading into the bye with a lot of positive energy.  A loss.. and we’re the same old Bills; good but too inconsistent to win the games that count.  That’s how I see it.

It’s clearly too early in the season to say this is a must win; however, how many of us will truly feel confident about the second half of the year if we fail to beat a 1 and 6 Jets team?  I’m not suggesting this game will be easy.  Quite the contrary, actually, this is going to be a tough, divisional game on the road. The Jets, statistically, are very similar to the Bills and match up quite well against our team.  Add in to the mix our 2 starting RBs are out, and this game should be tough.

With that said… it’s a game a team has to win if they want to be talked about as a possible playoff contender.  It’s really just that simple.  Win and that talk; that optimism continues.  Lose and we play out the string and see what changes get made in the off season.  So, what do we need to do to win?  What will I be looking for:

1. Our new RB duo.  Hackett and Marrone, obviously, won’t change the game plan to suit different players.  So, it’ll be interesting to see if Boobie and Brown can find more success than Fred and CJ have the last few weeks.  How they do will also be a huge validation of Whaley and his ability to build a deep roster.  

2. Urbik.  He simply has to provide better guard play than we’ve seen.  Right?  However if he does, how does that make the decision to sit him initially look?  Either way, the Jets are stout against the run.  We need better line play or it’s going to be a long day.

3. The D Line.  The Jets are a good running team.  So far, the defense has been great at shutting down RBs.  This week, it will be even more critical.  If we shut down the Jet run game and force Geno to throw, it could be a very good day.

4. The intensity of our team.  The Jets always play tough, physical football.  How many times has it just seemed they played harder than our Bills?  This week, I hope Marrone has the team fired up and hitting hard.  We need to let the Jets know they’re in for a fight. It’d be nice to see the Bills punch a division foe in the jaw for a change.

5. Harvin.  How many snaps does he get?  Has he had time to learn their offense?  Will he be a decoy?  He is easily the wild card in this game.  I have a nagging feeling Rex is going to find creative ways to get him the ball, while Marrone looks surprised he’s even on the field.  I hope I’m wrong.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Dan

This is another game, like last week, where we look at the opponent and say to ourselves "we are so much better" / "this should be a win," etc. etc., but when looking at the stats, we matchup very closely.

But the one that stands out to me here is, depsite out fairly miserable PPG offense, we score more than they do and they allow significantly more points than we do. We should definitely leave NJ with a 5-3 record, there is no question.

My feelings toward this game are sort of similar to the Falcons game last year. We are playing a team with talent, but one that is essentially just playing for pride at this point. We, on the other hand have to win to keep pace in the conference and by all means should be playing with our highest intensity. The Falcons game last year was essentially our last chance as we needed to win out to even get to 9-7, while we have time to regain ground this time, but it's simply one of those games where a good team has to win and we need to show that we are a good team and get a legitimate run going.

PS you link to the NFL.com preview is from two years ago. I saw Santonio Holmes and thought it was some fluke but then they started talking about new OC Tony Sparano / newly acquired Tim Tebow and I kind of laughed a little. So much has changed!

Edited by Big C

Against the Patriots, Geno faced soft pressure, as the Pats have not been successfully rushing the passer. This should be significantly different with our front four wreaking havoc on Smith.

Can Orton pick up the blitzes and dump to Boobie or Brown? Can Sammy come off his blocks quick for slants gashing them with yac.

I can't wait to beat these guys. God i hope Marrone uses the respect card as no one in the media, even the guys I respect are picking the Bills. I'd love to see a blowout for once with 28-12, and no touchdowns for the Jets and only 50 yards rushing. we walk into the bye with 5-3 and ready to take the head off the Chiefs at home. We should also get a number pf players back. I would guess we'll get Fredex back for the Fish, but if he's not 100%, I'd rather hold him out until the Jets at home.

Guys, this could be the start of a run for the next 5 weeks, with 3 at home after today with winnable teams.

Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-0 the next 5 weeks. Yeah baby!

Hopefully our offense has a coming out party against this weak secondary. Rex has the corners playing ten yards off the LOS. Get it to Sammy on a slant and see if he can get some YAC!

I think the TEs will be a big part of the game plan this week. The Bills have been using 2 and 3 TE sets with some success and the Jests are getting burned by TEs a lot. Woohoo!