What OBD Defenders Can Learn from Sanders Acquisition

Emmanuel Sanders had a career night last night. Instead of re-signing Eric Decker ($37 M over 5 years), the Broncos chose to sign Sanders to a 3-year, $15 M contract. Smart move.

There's lots of time spent on this Board debating the merits of re-signing expensive UFAs. But the main issue isn't whether the Bills should have re-signed Levitire or not, but rather what the Bills plan to do f they decide to let Levitre walk. Last year, the plan was to install Colin Brown in that spot, who was literally the worst player in the NFL according to PFF. This year, the plan was to sign Chris Williams, which was widely panned by league observers even before his chronic back injury was known.

Russ Brandon wants you to debate whether one player is worth the huge contract he'll command in the open market because it distracts attention from the Clown Show. Maybe Levitre, Peters, Byrd, Poz, etc. were overpaid, maybe they weren't. But that shouldn't be looked at in isolation.

If we don't re-sign our guys, it should be because we see someone on the market who can provide 85% or more of the output at 75% of less of the price. The "next man up" approach is just an excuse to save money by elevating guys on rookie deals.

And if we can't find THAT GUY because they don't want to come to Buffalo, then that actually makes re-signing our guys even more of a priority given advantages teams have in retaining talent -- early negotiations to reduce costs in exchange for reducing player's injury risk and the franchise and transition tags.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Buffalo hasn't even begun to sustain a winning team, because they've never truly rebuilt. The example of what Denver did replacing Decker with Sanders illustrates why they're a winner: they know where and how to keep talent and at a reasonable cost. The Broncos pay a lot of money to a select group of players (P. Manning, Ware, Talib, et al.) but still keep enough talent on the field to support their premier players. And they spend/draft where it's needed most: QB, pass rush, and secondary.

Someone may chime in by saying the Broncos haven't won a SB and lost last year big time. But the point remains they've played at a high level for 3 years and this off-season improved their roster off that 2013 season. Although, Demaryius and Julius Thomas will be looking for get big contracts as well, so it'll be interesting to see what they do in the 2015 off-season.

The Bills have jettisoned several players and either insert a much lesser player (Colin Brown, Chris Williams) or use a high draft pick (Lynch, Poslsuzny, et al.) to replace a departed veteran. This happened because they had a habit of letting players hit the final year (the walk year) of their contract, which made it more expensive and thus more difficult to re-sign them. I would expect a real front office to know they want to re-sign a player (and get them under contract) before their final year. Buffalo didn't do that for a long time. I suspect this won't continue under the Pegulas.

Players have to want to resign extensions before their current deals are up though - it's a two way street

I agree with OP about bringing in replacements for lost talent - not always easy to do

You only have so much money to work with - the current broncos roster is beautifully put together BECAUSE they have hit on their younger drafted players (Thomas's, some linemen and pass rush) - not to mention they have the best QB to ever play the game under center, that can't be overlooked

The basic premise of the OP post is sound, it's just in the execution

Or just sign Payton Manning, and let the rest take care of itself! :lol:

^This. Taking nothing away from Sanders and the overall good job of the Broncos' front office, but that team is what they are for NO other reason than Manning. It's nice when the OC's biggest responsibility is asking what Peyton takes in his coffee.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. Buffalo hasn't even begun to sustain a winning team, because they've never truly rebuilt. The example of what Denver did replacing Decker with Sanders illustrates why they're a winner: they know where and how to keep talent and at a reasonable cost. The Broncos pay a lot of money to a select group of players (P. Manning, Ware, Talib, et al.) but still keep enough talent on the field to support their premier players. And they spend/draft where it's needed most: QB, pass rush, and secondary.

Someone may chime in by saying the Broncos haven't won a SB and lost last year big time. But the point remains they've played at a high level for 3 years and this off-season improved their roster off that 2013 season. Although, Demaryius and Julius Thomas will be looking for get big contracts as well, so it'll be interesting to see what they do in the 2015 off-season.

The Bills have jettisoned several players and either insert a much lesser player (Colin Brown, Chris Williams) or use a high draft pick (Lynch, Poslsuzny, et al.) to replace a departed veteran. This happened because they had a habit of letting players hit the final year (the walk year) of their contract, which made it more expensive and thus more difficult to re-sign them. I would expect a real front office to know they want to re-sign a player (and get them under contract) before their final year. Buffalo didn't do that for a long time. I suspect this won't continue under the Pegulas.

And that, right there, is the sweet music we've all been waiting to hear. Thankfully the roster right now is pretty good with a couple of notable exceptions -- thus no need for a complete rebuild.

exactly. if you can run a route, manning can put it in your pocket. it's not them finding a diamond in the rough, it's them finding a warm body that can catch a perfectly thrown pass.

I saw this by the avatar and thought BufTex went crazy and started a freeing with himself not realizing he had said it.

The other thing is when you are playing in that free-agent market it is easier to attract players when you have Peyton Manning. Players look, see Manning there and think "I can win in Denver." Players do not think that when they look at the Bills and that makes it harder. Had he stayed fit I don't think Chris Williams would have been that bad a pick up to be honest. The line has certainly looked a lot worse since he came out. Was it good enough to replace Levitre? Probably not, but again look at where the top FA guards went... I'm not sure Buffalo was a more attractive destination than many of those places.

Having said that, and I was against paying Levitre and against paying Byrd.... we should pay Jerry Hughes. Our D-Line is the one elite part of this team. You do not make it weaker if you can possibly help it.

The other thing is when you are playing in that free-agent market it is easier to attract players when you have Peyton Manning. Players look, see Manning there and think "I can win in Denver." Players do not think that when they look at the Bills and that makes it harder. Had he stayed fit I don't think Chris Williams would have been that bad a pick up to be honest. The line has certainly looked a lot worse since he came out. Was it good enough to replace Levitre? Probably not, but again look at where the top FA guards went... I'm not sure Buffalo was a more attractive destination than many of those places.

First, Denver had to attract Peyton Manning. And they took a big risk by giving him the first year guaranteed. How did Denver sell the Broncos to Manning? Well, I'd imagine he wanted to know how they would support him and build a winner. Because when he showed up they didn't have all the pieces they did in 2013.

Being an attractive destination to elite players tells a lot of the story. Only winning and dollars do that. PR blitzes don't work on career minded pros, coaches, and front office types like they do fans who aren't investing as much.

Emmanuel Sanders had a career night last night. Instead of re-signing Eric Decker ($37 M over 5 years), the Broncos chose to sign Sanders to a 3-year, $15 M contract. Smart move.

There's lots of time spent on this Board debating the merits of re-signing expensive UFAs. But the main issue isn't whether the Bills should have re-signed Levitire or not, but rather what the Bills plan to do f they decide to let Levitre walk. Last year, the plan was to install Colin Brown in that spot, who was literally the worst player in the NFL according to PFF. This year, the plan was to sign Chris Williams, which was widely panned by league observers even before his chronic back injury was known.

Russ Brandon wants you to debate whether one player is worth the huge contract he'll command in the open market because it distracts attention from the Clown Show. Maybe Levitre, Peters, Byrd, Poz, etc. were overpaid, maybe they weren't. But that shouldn't be looked at in isolation.

If we don't re-sign our guys, it should be because we see someone on the market who can provide 85% or more of the output at 75% of less of the price. The "next man up" approach is just an excuse to save money by elevating guys on rookie deals.

And if we can't find THAT GUY because they don't want to come to Buffalo, then that actually makes re-signing our guys even more of a priority given advantages teams have in retaining talent -- early negotiations to reduce costs in exchange for reducing player's injury risk and the franchise and transition tags.

Did we not in affect do that with Safety Williams and let Byrd walk?

^This. Taking nothing away from Sanders and the overall good job of the Broncos' front office, but that team is what they are for NO other reason than Manning. It's nice when the OC's biggest responsibility is asking what Peyton takes in his coffee.

GO BILLS!!!

With regards to Decker, there was bountiful speculation that his value to the Jets would have been significantly diminished without Manning throwing him the ball.

There were legitimate, ongoing debates about just how good of a receiver he was.

Great post and I totally agree!! We should either re-sign good players or get other good players to replace them!!!

That's what all the top teams do. I think we should follow that model. I don't understand why we always seem to copy the loser teams models. We need to pull the old switcheroo on that one.

Great post and I totally agree!! We should either re-sign good players or get other good players to replace them!!!

It's just that simple, though I would make it a two step plan:

1. Re-sign good players or get other good players to replace them!!!

2. Score more points than the other team, or hold the other team to less than us!!!!

Seems to me that's what the BEST teams do. So simple.

It all starts at the top! In 2011 the Broncos hire John Elway to run the football side of the operation, and things took off from there. Man 0 man he knows his stuff.

Elway hired a defensive minded HC John Fox, and Fox assembled a very talented coaching staff. They already lost their first OC in Mike McCoy to San Diego, and he is now their HC. McCoy built a playoff team in his first year!

They lose Elvis Dumervil and end up getting Andre Ware. They let Decker go and bring in Sanders. Bringing in Peyton Manning in 2012, after they booted Tim Tebow.

The Denver Broncos have talented people everywhere in that org, players, coaches, trainers, doctors.

Hopefully this is what the Buffalo Bills will look like next year. C'mon man, it shouldn't take three off seasons to replace an average offensive guard or two. This team would be a playoff team with a top O line.

exactly. if you can run a route, manning can put it in your pocket. it's not them finding a diamond in the rough, it's them finding a warm body that can catch a perfectly thrown pass.

True, but in fairness the Broncos made it to the 2d round of the playoffs with Tim Tebow at QB so they've done a very nice job assembling talent in recent years. Manning is the piece that put them over the top.