MMQB: Kevin Kolb Battles the Storms, Outside and In

YoloinOhio

Kolb wrote this article for MMQB about life after football with concussions

Like someone shooting a shotgun next to my ear, every second of every day’—that’s how the former NFL quarterback describes the effects of the concussions he suffered during his six seasons in the league. How do you face a challenge like that and move on?

http://mmqb.si.com/2...xico-hurricane/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a good reminder that these are real people, even if it takes away from the rubber mat joke fun

It is also a reminder of what an utterly stupid thing the Bills did in signing him. He was literally permanently disabled from a football standpoint the moment Alex Carrington severly injured him in 8 separate ways on a seemingly harmless tackle just months before and yet the team that actually applied the hit thought he still had a place in the NFL. Just an outrageously befuddling and irresponsible decision on their part. I will stop just short of saying that they should be personally sued for letting him put on a uniform again but it's that close.

It is also a reminder of what an utterly stupid thing the Bills did in signing him. He was literally permanently disabled from a football standpoint the moment Alex Carrington severly injured him in 8 separate ways on a seemingly harmless tackle just months before and yet the team that actually applied the hit thought he still had a place in the NFL. Just an outrageously befuddling and irresponsible decision on their part. I will stop just short of saying that they should be personally sued for letting him put on a uniform again but it's that close.

This organization certainly isn't known for its astuteness in evaluating players, both from the draft and in the pro ranks. In Nix's last year he had the scouting department place a lot of their emphasis on drafting a qb. After much effort they selected EJ in the first round, a player with physical tools and high character. Almost all the reports I read about him before the draft consistently stated that he was a developmental type prospect. Even as a person who defended the selection his flaws (accuracy and feel for the game) are so blatantly evident that I am leaning toward the column that indicates that he will never be a quality starter.

The mistake that this organization frequently makes is that very often reach when they have a disperate need. The problem is that having a need doesn't alter the limitations of the particular player you acquired to fill the need.

The Levy/Brandon/Nix eras wasted critical time that could have been used to smartly rebuild a decimated franchise. Instead a lot of time and effort is being used to undo what has already been done. It's exasperating.

I'm aware that Whaley has an association with the Nix regime. Despite that taint I have more confidence in him and the staff that he has chosen than I have had in a very long time.

Kolb wrote this article for MMQB about life after football with concussions

Like someone shooting a shotgun next to my ear, every second of every day’—that’s how the former NFL quarterback describes the effects of the concussions he suffered during his six seasons in the league. How do you face a challenge like that and move on?

http://mmqb.si.com/2...xico-hurricane/

Every second of everyday.. That sounds like a machine gun if it's every second.

I'm not joking. Is it possible what he is saying/claiming?

Just like Buddy, this new regime has no clue in getting a QB either in FA or in the draft. The old adage still remains golden. You keep drafting a few QBs a year until you succeed. For the Bills to go last year with Kolb, EJ and Tuel was just moronic and they did not learn their lesson after the season was over. It is just insane.

Just like Buddy, this new regime has no clue in getting a QB either in FA or in the draft. The old adage still remains golden. You keep drafting a few QBs a year until you succeed. For the Bills to go last year with Kolb, EJ and Tuel was just moronic and they did not learn their lesson after the season was over. It is just insane.

Show me any team that's ever drafted a few qbs a year

I wrote that poorly. I meant, "let alone soccer." Kid quit the team after that. Think he's fine but understandably wanted to try something else.

My son was big into soccer and concussions are a bigger danger than people realize. I hope he didn't change to "American football".

Kolb's last concussion was a minor glancing blow. The brain becomes too fragile at some point.. These guys should protect themselves, but the league is going to have to do it for them.

Ive never heard of that golden adage you speak of.

I only know of the golden arches. Yum.