CJ vs Jerry

Nasty

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this topic really doesn't hold any ground anymore since CJ got hurt this past Sunday, but the one thing I wanted to ask this board was, who they would have chosen CJ vs Hughes as far as the big free agent we keep.

Both are in the final year of their rookie contract and both have put up some good numbers through their initial contracts. So who would you choose if you could only sign 1? Myself I would choose Hughes simply because our D-Line is historic right now and it is harder to find a solid pass rusher then it is to find a productive running back. I love CJ and I really hope we find a way to keep them both in the off season. If CJ is the team player he say he Is, he would consider what had happened to him (as unfortunate as it may be) and sig an incentive laden contract giving us the ability to sign Hughes to the contract he deserves.

But I think before we do that and it might throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing, we need to sign Dareus to an extension before his rookie contract runs out and before we sign one of the two or both of the free agents mentioned above. Get to work Whaley!!!

The Bills are in good shape salary cap wise, plus some others can re-structure their contracts as well...It's a new sheriff in town and he wants to win. Not saying go spend like a drunken sailor but you have to keep your playmakers (even though our OC is glueless ,as to how to use CJ) but let see how the rest of the season shakes out.

I like CJ a lot, in that he's a great kid, and explosive player in the right offense... but Hughes is just a monster, and helps our defense in so many ways.

The fact that we can get pressure across the board with our starting DL helps out our LBs and DBs so much.

CJ is "a running back" who has shown flashes of brilliance, but has not done it consistently. he is also quickly approaching the typical half-life that RBs have in this league, and coming off a major injury.

we can always find another "running back". impact DEs are much harder to find.

Kelvin Sheppard.

Thanks for reminding me of the name of the guy we traded for Hughes. I had to google it before I saw your post. For all the dumb personnel moves the Bills have made, that one sure panned out. A completely lopsided win for the Bills.

So I wonder how long the Bills can keep this D line together? Mario Williams is locked up for several years. Can the Bills afford to pay both Dareus and Hughes? There are younger and cheaper (and not quite as good) DT replacements for Dareus already on the team, and very few DEs, so my guess is we let Dareus go if one of them has to. But what a loss that will be. And does anyone know how long Kyle Williams is signed for? I think the professionals in the NFL, much more than the casual fans, recognize KW's value, so it could be expensive to keep him too. I would keep him over Hughes actually because he's the locker room leader on defense. I'm guessing Fred Jackson might have one more year left and he's the other leader on the team. Bad mojo to let both leaders go.

You must keep Dareus and Hughes. That front 4 provides the LB corp great room to operate. Imagine next year when Kiko is back. The D could be the top in the league. That takes some pressure off the offense. We can find a RB if we actually try to acquire one. But the O-line needs to be vastly improved before the run game will be successful again.

Thanks for reminding me of the name of the guy we traded for Hughes. I had to google it before I saw your post. For all the dumb personnel moves the Bills have made, that one sure panned out. A completely lopsided win for the Bills.

So I wonder how long the Bills can keep this D line together? Mario Williams is locked up for several years. Can the Bills afford to pay both Dareus and Hughes? There are younger and cheaper (and not quite as good) DT replacements for Dareus already on the team, and very few DEs, so my guess is we let Dareus go if one of them has to. But what a loss that will be. And does anyone know how long Kyle Williams is signed for? I think the professionals in the NFL, much more than the casual fans, recognize KW's value, so it could be expensive to keep him too. I would keep him over Hughes actually because he's the locker room leader on defense. I'm guessing Fred Jackson might have one more year left and he's the other leader on the team. Bad mojo to let both leaders go.

In resigning Dareus. Sure could we replace him with somebody who is at best comparable, but not as good. I think you have to take into consideration KWs age. We can't afford to lose/replace both down the line. Dareus is a must. And is/should be our most important contract extension.

I think we have 25 mil in cap space next year, but still need to think about a few years from now in guys like Glenn and Woods. Not to mention Chandler. I know he is a whipping boy, but has been playing well with a "real" NFL QB. I'm fine letting him walk if he wants a big pay day, but the Bills all too often do that without having a replacement on the roster. Based on that you have to plan on resigning him after next season.

Note: I don't think Dareus is really replaceable.

We must keep the DL in tact. It is dominant. We control games with that DL. Dareus over Hughes if it comes down to it, but I think we can manage both. I like CJ if we can get him at a reasonable rate, but he is not worth losing Hughes or Dareus over, let alone Spikes, Easley or Searcy. Or even Wynn, that dude is growing on me.

Thanks for noticing. I was being sarcastic because if we still had Kelvin we wouldn't be having this discussion. Also, we got a 1st rounder for a 3rd rounder. (Which also questions those who want to grade drafts in the same year calendar year).

Hughes thrived in pettines Defense. Some of us thought he may not fit up in Jims' wide nine !

he is starting to become excellent.

Bills starting front four need to be kept together as a priority.

Running backs have little comparison here.

I still respect Spiller. A young man of good character.

Hughes thrived in pettines Defense. Some of us thought he may not fit up in Jims' wide nine !

he is starting to become excellent.

Bills starting front four need to be kept together as a priority.

Running backs have little comparison here.

I still respect Spiller. A young man of good character.

Amen! Hughes was a steal! You can't win them all, but give our guys credit for this one. Now it's time to pay the man.

EDIT: Within reason of course, followed by Dareus.

Edited by Augie

And that's an understatement.

I would pay Hughes whatever he wanted; guys like him are hard to find.

Gotta re-sign Hughes and dareus. Critical.

Yup, especially Dareus.

You can find good running backs any time. Just look at Freddie -- who wanted him five years ago?

Yup, especially Dareus.

You can find good running backs any time. Just look at Freddie -- who wanted him five years ago?

Freddie is the exception to any rules.

So what is within reason ?

I dont think we fans know the answer , honestly.

We have to trust in Whaley and his cohorts on stuff like this .

But lets hope Bills never cheap out on guards ever ever again .

Damn you Buddy " dime a dozen" Nix