Ball Placement after "The Catch"

Tu-Toned

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it is ok to be off by two, or even one whole yard? Gotcha, just don't try to make the claim that every single play

in the last two minutes is reviewed then.

Relax man. There's an element of human error in this sport and everybody knows it. The refs placed the ball at the spot they thought it should go and then Orton hiked and spiked it. Not a lot of time for the booth to initiate a review of the spot. Asking for perfection is ridiculous in any facet of the game.

Relax man. There's an element of human error in this sport and everybody knows it. The refs placed the ball at the spot they thought it should go and then Orton hiked and spiked it. Not a lot of time for the booth to initiate a review of the spot. Asking for perfection is ridiculous in any facet of the game.

One and a half yards away is not asking for perfection, especially when that particular spot on the field where one and a half yards is an enormous difference. One and a half yards between the twenties is not all that big of a deal. On the goalline it is night and day if you want to call a run play.

Every spot is a guesstimate by the very nature of the game. The refs were well down the field when the catch was made and made their best guess.

Exactly" The game by nature is like building a missile base to launch bottle rockets.

They will never get it perfect and under better margin of error in a rushed situation. Unless they want to give the one team a time out... I don't think the other team who wants the clock to run out will be too hip to that idea of stopping the clock.

40 years ago, nobody would have ever noticed.

Watched it again today, it looks like the ref just put the ball where the center was, which was what we needed since time was the most important factor at that time. As for the spot not being reviewed, there was about half a second between the ball being spotted and it being snapped. It seems like that's something the league just doesn't have a system in place for.

The tv line was at the 1 but the ball was placed at the 2. I didn't understand that

You mean that blue line on the screen? I think, but don't know for sure, that someone in the TV truck tells the system where to draw the line. i suspect (s)he had the benefit of watching the video and quickly told the system where the ball should be, and that's where it drew the line. Things were moving fast and it was never changed after the actual spot.

Not sure if this has been discussed, and I guess it might just be a minor thing now,

BUT, unless my eyes were deceiving me, Hogan landed at like the half yard line after

that catch.

How does the ball get placed at the 2 and a half yard line? I would have challenged that

ball placement, but I guess in the final two minutes you can't. Are not all plays in the final

two minutes reviewed and how could they miss that?

Check the end of the 2nd half Game-Day thread...I was discussing this right after I saw the spot...It was terrible... B-)

Having a few extra yards actually helped expand the field a bit for us in a must pass situation. Those refs sure favor the bills

It also all-but removed the possibility of a run...

One and a half yards away is not asking for perfection, especially when that particular spot on the field where one and a half yards is an enormous difference. One and a half yards between the twenties is not all that big of a deal. On the goalline it is night and day if you want to call a run play.

Exactly...

Why they don't place chips in the balls, map the field and take all the judgement and guess work out is beyond me. At some point the integrity of the game and consistency of officiating has to be recognized as a drain on market share. Although I might have it wrong, maybe the pr from officiating controversy fulfills the mantra "no such thing as bad publicity"

The measurement is the biggest joke in all of sports. Placing an oblong shaped object based on where the ref feels like it and then a dog and pony show to see if a first down was earned? There has to be a better way. I wonder how feasible gps mapping would be as then you are worrying about where it was when the knee went down. I hate it but I just don't see a good solution to it.

The tv line was at the 1 but the ball was placed at the 2. I didn't understand that

If anybody else was at the game (this must not have been shown on TV), did you see they moved the spot back and forth twice?!?

I thought it should have been at the one or closer. They put it at the 2 or further. Then they moved to it to where I thought it should go.............Then when I looked again, it was back at the first spot! I said did they move it again?? And, my friends said yes.

Every spot is a guesstimate by the very nature of the game. The refs were well down the field when the catch was made and made their best guess. Unless the NFL comes up with a system where video camera's or a chip in the ball is used to determine the correct spot every play it will never be accurate.

I was at the game so it was tough to tell but when I saw the replay they miss spotted it by almost 2 yards. That can't happen on a game ending drive like that. It should of been spotted at the half yard line. I hear what your saying about the refs are down field & it was a chaotic situation but you simply can't mess up something like that in that situation. Guys jobs are on the line & they need to do better. If it means stop the play & taking a quick second look so be it, they review every other friggin thing.