Ball Placement after "The Catch"

Tu-Toned

I was at the game so it was tough to tell but when I saw the replay they miss spotted it by almost 2 yards. That can't happen on a game ending drive like that. It should of been spotted at the half yard line. I hear what your saying about the refs are down field & it was a chaotic situation but you simply can't mess up something like that in that situation. Guys jobs are on the line & they need to do better. If it means stop the play & taking a quick second look so be it, they review every other friggin thing.

Did you see them move it back and forth like I did?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see them move it back and forth like I did?

the replay was just posted. the original ref marked it at about the 4 ft line. the one running the ball in to spot it placed it right in front of the center at the 2 yard line. cost us about 2 feet from the initial spot. i didnt see any resetting unless you meant after the spike before the next play.

Why they don't place chips in the balls, map the field and take all the judgement and guess work out is beyond me. At some point the integrity of the game and consistency of officiating has to be recognized as a drain on market share. Although I might have it wrong, maybe the pr from officiating controversy fulfills the mantra "no such thing as bad publicity"

Because then some like the Patriots* would hack into it and we would have a new Chipgate controversy. It is the league protecting the Patriots* again.

im guessing they were pretty focused on the catch. by the time the ref actually spotted the ball, we were pretty darn close to snapping it.

no disrespect taken - im just saying there are a lot of moving pieces in a very small window. i expect some level of error occasionally and in a situation like yesterday ill take it being a poor spot over a slow spot if its going to happen. its not "ok" but in the grand scheme.....

agreed. thats why i was curious to see the catch vs the spot kind of side by side instead of just going by memory.

If the ball was spotted on the 1/2 yard line, we might have run & - you know- blew it.

the replay was just posted. the original ref marked it at about the 4 ft line. the one running the ball in to spot it placed it right in front of the center at the 2 yard line. cost us about 2 feet from the initial spot. i didnt see any resetting unless you meant after the spike before the next play.

I don't even remember the timing. I just know they moved it twice.

What's interesting is that if you watch the replay, the side judge who is right there comes in and marks the spot with his foot, right smack on the one yard line. It's another ref who comes in afterward to grab the ball and place it at the line of scrimmage, and he completely messes it up by ignoring the side judge and his foot.

gallery_788_97_854401.png

i'm glad they spotted it quickly enough for us to get the snap off. the refs hustled to get the ball spotted quickly so we could run a play. to me that's way more important than being off by a yard. and the bottom line is, we weren't going to run it anyway, cause then we definitely would have had only one chance.

Speaking of one chance, I said I bet if we didn't complete the pass, the clock would have had all zeroes, and not one second left!

I was thinking that too. Maybe. OR like you said, it would have took a second for the ball to fall incomplete.

Yet, we were @ home, you'd think the clock keeper would jump the gun a little. Even on the catch, couldn't he have delayed... Avoid a kickoff. Or do the review people watch/adjust that?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois