Orton is mediocre

papazoid

this team is still plagued with below average QB play.

Orton Passer Rating: 20th (EJ 28th)

Orton Total QBR: 31st (EJ 33rd)

Orton is playing better than EJ, but that ain't saying much.

Orton better take advantage of the upcoming so called easier games.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he was ok yesterday except for the strip sack. I didn't have a huge problem with the int; the bills had to throw it a lot given that they couldn't run and you're always going to have one bad throw. Plus it occurred between the 40s, making it more or less a weak punt. The strip sack, though, was alarming. He held the ball for too long and didn't sense the pressure. That's bad quarterbacking -- RJ-like. Other than that, though, he was solid. His rating yesterday was 94.1, which is good. He pushed the ball down the field and was pretty accurate moat of the time.

He's not the second coming, but he's better than what the Bills have been throwing out there the last few years.

If you can't see Orton is an upgrade over EJ's play you are looking at the wrong stats. Over 300 yards last week and 299 yesterday 91 passer rating (I think I read somewhere). Yes he is making some mistakes, almost Fitz like ones kind of but he is better than either Fitz or EJ. Time will show this more, I am sure of that. Our QB wasn't the big problem yesterday, the Oline, the refs, playing maybe the best QB of all time.... yes. Orton passes the eyeball test so far IMHO. I am not saying he is great mind you or even that good but he is okay. And yes he had a bit of an off day.

Edited by bowery4

Seems pretty obvious to me... Orton gives you more yardage but with that are gonna be some serious ball security issues. EJ for the most part is uber-conservative and therefore doesn't turn it over as much (although the pick-6 to Watt on a screen pass effectively benched him here).

There's no way EJ can accurately throw some of those seam passes down the middle perfectly to Chandler, or the drop in the bucket pass to Woods on 4th down...or even the TD pass to Hogan.

What will be interesting is if EJ ever gets back in there. He claims he will "go for it" and not hold back anymore. Even so, I don't think EJ is accurate enough to ever be considered a good QB.

Bottom line- Orton can rack up some yardage and TDs but there's gonna games where he throws 2-3 picks and/or fumbles. I'd still rather have Orton as the QB

Edited by zow2

ej could have improved. maybe. and maybe will with his benching. orton is exactly what you saw.

thing is, orton plays because coach wanted better production from the qb. he is getting that, but likely not to the extend he wanted to.

if orton wins the next two he will stay in. if not, it is ej again after the bye.

oh, and win or lose, another one of these stupid INTs orton throws so well he is out too

If you can't see Orton is an upgrade over EJ's play you are looking at the wrong stats. Over 300 yards last week and 299 yesterday 91 passer rating (I think I read somewhere). Yes he is making some mistakes, almost Fitz like ones kind of but he is better than either Fitz or EJ. Time will show this more, I am sure of that. Our QB wasn't the big problem yesterday, the Oline, the refs, playing maybe the best QB of all time.... yes. Orton passes the eyeball test so far IMHO. I am not saying he is great mind you or even that good but he is okay. And yes he had a bit of an off day.

10 points came off Orton turnovers in the first half. In the NFL momentum is king and Orton gave liftoff to the Patriots in a home game that was the most important game in the last 10 or so years for this franchise.

To say Orton wasn't the biggest on the field problem yesterday is to be in denial. Other Bills players may have had much worse games, but other players don't play by far the most important position on the field.

I need to see more from Orton. If we are only getting slightly better play than EJs worst games, I'd rather let EJ play and see if he gets better with experience. Yesterdays game was a huge reality check. It showed me how far we still are behind New England. We were outplayed in every facet of the game and outcoached by a wide margin. At this point, I am getting to the point where I think this is a lost season anyway. I expect big changed at OBD and I do not expect Marrone and his staff to return.

10 points came off Orton turnovers in the first half. In the NFL momentum is king and Orton gave liftoff to the Patriots in a home game that was the most important game in the last 10 or so years for this franchise.

To say Orton wasn't the biggest on the field problem yesterday is to be in denial. Other Bills players may have had much worse games, but other players don't play by far the most important position on the field.

I don't know if I would say he was the biggest problem. He made some huge mistakes. Bad INT, bad fumble, standing in pocket taking sacks, missing open receivers. All the things EJ is criticized for. But we had many other problems (which I've been saying all along). The QB gets too much blame when things are not going well. We had bad coaching, Bad OL play, Spiller missing open running lanes and fumbling, Duke Williams stinks. Far too many wide open NE receivers and too much time in the pocket for Brady. This was a team loss. But Orton needs to be better of the benching of EJ was a waste.

When has EJ ever started to games with INT's in the 1st QTR?

Who cares, Orton is still the best option right now. This offense is moving better with Orton and you don't see the frustration in the receivers like you did when EJ was in.