Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THis.......I am really scratching my head at people wanting to go QB in the SECOND round and hope for the best........yet denounce the drafting of EJ Manuel who has a ton of talent that hasnt translated to the field in a terrible QB class......

Do you realize what you are setting yourself up for? No we need to go BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER at that pick.....which will most likely be a OL or TE which is where the good players at that position starting falling off the board.......

We need to learn our lesson in this area......we have a guy in Orton who can fill that position for at least next year......if we have a pocket passer lets solidify the pocket

Didn't we just blow a second rounder on an O-linemna last draft?

Or Brad Johnson with the Bucs or Trent Dilfer with the Ravens...

IMHO, Orton is much better than Dilfer

I'm another who has joined this thread late, and I was spurred to do so by Sullivan's column in TBN this morning. One quote stood out in my mind: "The stakes will be the same as when Marrone benched Manuel: A team with playoff aspirations and a top defense can’t afford to wait for a young quarterback to develop. When you have players like Kyle and Mario Williams at the top of their games, you go for it.". That crystallized it for me. The Bills DO have a top defense. Weirdly enough, it's going to be even better next year with Kiko's return. Let's take advantage of it. Sign Orton up for three years and really groom a replacement QB for once, rather than looking for the next bolt from the blue at that position.

Maybe depending on what happens with Jerry Hughes

THis.......I am really scratching my head at people wanting to go QB in the SECOND round and hope for the best........yet denounce the drafting of EJ Manuel who has a ton of talent that hasnt translated to the field in a terrible QB class......

Do you realize what you are setting yourself up for? No we need to go BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER at that pick.....which will most likely be a OL or TE which is where the good players at that position starting falling off the board.......

We need to learn our lesson in this area......we have a guy in Orton who can fill that position for at least next year......if we have a pocket passer lets solidify the pocket

John, you are talking to the sky is falling crowd. The D is set, and the obvious weakness the O Line.

so who do they draft for?

you nailed it. stay off the draft a QB early ****.

Orton holds all the cards and can opt out of his contract. If Orton continues on this track, we are going to have to pay him starter money. Like $10MM+ a year for 2+ years.

Orton holds all the cards and can opt out of his contract. If Orton continues on this track, we are going to have to pay him starter money. Like $10MM+ a year for 2+ years.

Paying Orton starter money is perfectly acceptable. When you have a starting-quality quarterback, you normally expect to have to pay him a starter-type salary. Orton-cailber free agent QBs are very rare.

Having Orton on the roster gives the Bills the luxury of waiting until the right QB comes along before taking one in the draft. Without his presence, the Bills might feel pressured to use an early pick on a QB whether the right guy was there or not. They'd be repeating the same mistake they made with EJ.

Paying Orton starter money is perfectly acceptable. When you have a starting-quality quarterback, you normally expect to have to pay him a starter-type salary. Orton-cailber free agent QBs are very rare.

Having Orton on the roster gives the Bills the luxury of waiting until the right QB comes along before taking one in the draft. Without his presence, the Bills might feel pressured to use an early pick on a QB whether the right guy was there or not. They'd be repeating the same mistake they made with EJ.

OMG!!! Can we wait until the guy plays more than 4 more games to talk about paying him starter money and how rare he is? Guys who play on 5 teams aren't normally thought of as rare.

We've won 2 games where we scored 1 and 2 offensive tds. Let's settle down and play the rest of the season.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I don't think even Orton's Arm was saying "pay the man now" to be fair C.Biscuit. We need to see how this play out... but if Orton's performance stays as it has been so far I think you pay him starter money and intend on him starting at least through 2016.

Trust me, if he throws 4 tds or is putting points like he did against the Jets, pay him. But I'm in the minority but the Lions and Vikes games were not anything special.

And veteran Journeyman can do this sometimes. McNown, Jason Campbell, Volek. I just don't want to get fooled in settling for a guy again.

But if Orton Helps us get to the playoffs, he can have Buffalo.

I don't think even Orton's Arm was saying "pay the man now" to be fair C.Biscuit. We need to see how this play out... but if Orton's performance stays as it has been so far I think you pay him starter money and intend on him starting at least through 2016.

Don't we have to pay him now? He has the option of opting out after the season.

The Fitz contract didn't really handcuff us. Seems that would be the way to go again.

Orton has been doing better than decent with average or less than average guard play. Give him decent guards, guards that Wood does not need to babysit, plus an extra year of experience for Henderson and see what Orton can do with that protection. The guy can flat out play and LEAD.

If he goes through this season playing like this we SHOULD pay him

OMG!!! Can we wait until the guy plays more than 4 more games to talk about paying him starter money and how rare he is? Guys who play on 5 teams aren't normally thought of as rare.

We've won 2 games where we scored 1 and 2 offensive tds. Let's settle down and play the rest of the season.

I dont think anyone is talking about paying him now....I think waiting until the end of the season to address this is perfectly acceptable.....

But if he keeps this up....yes he SHOULD be paid

Dear John,

read your letter . But i stopped at BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER. Everyone know it's Best Player Available BPA , Not BAP !

Do you even watch the games ? good grief Man !

For everyone who is participating on this subject ,including the press.

the guy has played , like , 4 games for Buffalo .

And folks are thinking contract already ?

Some have even decided that Kyle will walk.

This is all crazy talk. Let the Man finish the season .

But i sure like the guy and his chutzpah (? )

Go Bills

Trust me, if he throws 4 tds or is putting points like he did against the Jets, pay him. But I'm in the minority but the Lions and Vikes games were not anything special.

And veteran Journeyman can do this sometimes. McNown, Jason Campbell, Volek. I just don't want to get fooled in settling for a guy again.

But if Orton Helps us get to the playoffs, he can have Buffalo.

The thing Orton has done is simple. It is "game changing " and a culture shift.

Kyle Orton seems to have taken charge of these players on Offense .

Thats goes a long way. and is shift we haven't seen since Fitz in his glory days.

EJ and the others could not pull that off. How far Kyle can take us is up in the air.

I am more worried about his Surviving the season with our O line.

I sure do hope EJ is picking up on some of Ortons qualities. cuz he has some , but they for me , are not so much stats as leadership

go Bills!

I think they will resign him to a three year deal after the season, no reason to do it now -and i dont think they will.

As for Kyle why walk on this talented group, he's smarter than that honestly going nowhere

CardinalScotts, I think i agree. K. Orton might very well be in the right place at the right time.and know just that .

Tha'ts why i worry more for the keeping him healthy than i do contracts

Edited by 3rdand12

A bit of crazy talk. If he finishes 10-6 or 11-5, and wins a playoff game you extend him for two years at $12 mil a year with an option after another good year to pay him real QB money as the TV revenue kicks up dramatically at that point, and see if he can repeat with better players.

Make sure we resign these good players we picked up like Hughes, and Glenn, and build a tough team. They have 8 games to figure out if Dixon and Brown are real RB's as Freddy as much as i love him will not last forever.

Kyle Orton is obviously the firm Bills QB until something better comes along. He's not "franchise" b/c it would take about 2 bad games for people to be talking replacement.

When we talk about "franchise" it isn't those QBs who may be able to do it...it is those QBs who are not even questioned. There really aren't that many franchise QBs in the league that don't have rings.