Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen enough of Kyle in this offense to rule him out... I see no reason not to give him an opportunity... He's been crap at times in the past, but so what? -Guy could be a late bloomer. For the time being, I'm enjoying the experience and know-how he brings to an offense with significant issues... GO Kyle! and GO BILLS!

Edited by #34fan

"Orton is the fifth NFL quarterback since 1960 to record a 300-yard passing game with five teams in his career joining Kerry Collins, Steve Deberg, Gus Frerotte, and Vinny Testeverde."

He seems to fit in pretty naturally with this bunch. Hopefully he ends up his career better than all of them and takes us far.

This is interesting. Why? Because all of these guys had their moments, most of them late in their careers:

Kerry Collins: 12-3 as a starter for a team with a good defense (Titans) when he was 36.

Steve DeBerg: 11-5 and 10-5 seasons as a starter for a team with a good defense (KC) when he was 36 and 37.

Gus Frerotte: 9-6 for a team with a good defense (Miami) when he was 34

Vinny: 12-1 for the Jets at the age of 35; 9-7 and 10-6 at ages 37-38 (I can't remember if those were really good defenses)

So hey, it happens. Did any of these guys win a Super Bowl? Of course not. But after 15 years, I'll take "make the playoffs." Hell, I'll even take "play meaningful games in late December."

KO has the starting job with a lot of offensive weapons time will tell providing Pears, Richardson or Spiller don't get him killed before we can pass judgement on his body of work this season. His teammates seem to support him, and he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He seems like a Buffalo kind of guy, I for one would love to see him work out here.

This whole situation feels like Flutie again. Almost exact same circumstances.

Everyone laughed at the Flutie signing. But all the guy did, despite his flaws, was win.

Then he went on to San Diego and did some nice things there---and 4 years later they end up with Rivers.

Stop worrying about getting Andrew Luck or whoever your ideal "franchise" QB is. There are plenty of examples of teams winning--and winning a lot---without a hall of fame QB.

So here's to however freaking long Orton can lead this team. I don't care if it's the next 2 or 3 years. Just win.

Edited by Big Blitz

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

Wait till he throws his firts "stinker game", there will be hundreds of posters here telling you why.

I think he could be a legitimate option. This roster is so talented. Orton is only 31. People will be quick to throw out his career QBR and certain stats, but if you look at the situations he has consistently been in, they weren't ideal. He got shafted in favor of shiny new toys like Tebow and Cutler. Wasn't Orton 21-12 as a starter for the Bears? I remember quite a few Bears fans who were ready to start building around Orton.

Orton may be in the best situation he's ever been in here in Buffalo. And EJ is a long term project, and I really like him as the backup learning from Orton. I hope we draft another QB next year mid rounds and he'll be the third string.

There's just something about Orton. He has such a swagger and is a lot more talented than people give him credit for. Again, I'm a big believer in looking at the overall picture when grading a QB's career. I think Orton is better than his career stats show.

I'm excited to see him play more.

*I still believe in EJ, btw, but I see no problem with him sitting for a while.

completely utterly agree. Bills executing strategy they wanted with Kolb last year. Just doing it this year with Kolb 2.0. EJ not bad, but not ready either. He sits and learns while KO wins 3 out of 5 games, maybe 2 out of 3 games. Plus Orton is such an ass. Love him.

Rich Gannon

something like that, yes . give me rich gannon. anytime. play special teams, defense and win the turnover battle. that's how you win in the NFL with QBs other than the top 5 guys...

The Bears team he played on were also very talented especially on d. Just wait and the answer will be obvious. Contrary to what people want to believe, he can't make all the throws. They end up going the other way. He is what his stats say he is. Can we win with him? Maybe, but eventually his numbers will catch up with him. I am not advocating for anyone, just pointing out that in his case the numbers don't lie. He is average.

Every one who we bring in to usurp or guy. (Insert name) can make all the throws. That is such a cliche. Yeah I'm a basketball guy. BUT I know enough to know that that is not something to marvel over. I was talking to the skycap one day about this. Why should that be something to harp on. Should we praise a pilot who can land a plane. A singer who can hit a C note? If you have perfected you're craft to get to the league. You are expected to be able to atleast be adequate. Maybe Orton can hit every pass. But will he? If EJ grew a set and developed a true IDGAF attitude are we sure... 1000% sure he can't do it? I'm really not. And not a critique of others but can we beat someone who doesn't hand us the game before we decide to talk about long term solutions?

Well let's say Orton does well and leads us to the playoffs this year - he has to start next season, but we won't be developing anyone behind him (unless it's EJ still) - there aren't any "projects" in this nfl draft class - there's a couple first rounders and then a bunch of trash

How is EJ going to learn how to accurately throw a football while sitting on the bench?? I was an EJ supporter through and through - but we have all seen the guy really can't hit the broad side of a barn....yes he made like two great throws (chandler sideline catch and Watkins should have been 40 yard td broken up by Miami DB) but I'm thinking those were luck when you compare them to the rest of the trash he put out there

QBs sit and learn when they can't read defenses, find the hot reads or open guys, or don't understand an offense - these have not been EJs issues, he has found the open guys and knows the offense, he just can't put the ball anywhere near his targets

So please - I could be ignorant, but how is his woeful accuracy ever going to get fixed by sitting and "learning" under Orton?

Back to the original post - Orton COULD be the answer for the next several seasons, but let's hope we are smart this time and draft a guy to replace him (ala Aaron Rodgers) - but that guy most likely won't come from this draft class, weak for project QBs

I've been too negative on Orton and I'm not a negative person. But it's never really been about Orton. It's just that I've seen this so many times with the Bills. We give up on the young QB for the career medicore to slightly medicore QB. Neither guy pans out and we have to start over. It's my fault because I'm thinking long term and probably should be more about just thie year.

So I'm rooting for Orton to led us to the playoffs. But given his past track record and his bouncing around the league, I think the % of him being the answer is very small. And I pray that we don't trick ourselves into settling for a guy who isn't truly good enough but it's been the Bills way. But go Kyle for this year.

He's our answer for the next couple years...Bradford, RG3 or cousins could become options if tpegs wants to make a strong move. If we keep winning we end up in the late teens in the 2nd round for our first pick. If we take a guy there its a year or more before he's ready.

I could be mistaken and often am, I don't think Cousins is going anywhere.

As for Bradford....as a St Louisian, let's just bring back "German Word for Made of Glass" Kolb, eh? And have you really done a deep dive into Bradford and RG3's stats?

Statistically, the guy is pretty much exactly like Ryan Fitzpatrick. About a 80.0 career QB rating, 60% completion percentage, and even number of TDs to INTs.

So, while I love what Orton did on Sunday, I also loved what Fitz did at times...but ultimately his inconsistent play wasn't good enough to get us to be a good team.

I am right on with what I take as your overall point: Orton is a competent NFL QB who will show flashes, but he has never shown that consistent top-tier play that would win him a home. Could he with B'lo? Perhaps...but it remains to be proven and one game (or 5 games) won't do it.

I will give him, though, that his TD/Int ratio is significantly better than Fitz. Leaving out the first years in the league for both - 1.2 for Fitz, 1.6 for Orton. That may be a significant difference right there. Orton has a significantly better deep ball than Fitz, which is a big factor in opening up the game. Fitz is significantly more mobile, which adds a dimension but not as much as the deep threat.

Edited by Hopeful