Don't get your hopes up...

A few years ago, the Bills were around 4-2 with Fitzpatrick under center. However, they were barely winning games. despite achieving a very positive turnover differential. I started a thread entitled "The Bills' method of winning is unsustainable." I received a lot of responses similar to those directed at the OP.

I don't think anyone's fanhood or strength should be challenged just because one doesn't view the future through rose colored glasses. Rose colored glasses are a less than completely logical response to this team's past track record.

That said, I do not share the OP's perspective on this particular matter. The Bills' defense has been very good, especially upfront. Better than the Patriots' defense. The Bills have better WRs than the Patriots. As for quarterbacks . . .

Eight years ago, if you were to compare Kyle Orton to Tom Brady, people would laugh at you. But Tom Brady isn't the same guy today he was eight years ago. One of the reasons Jim Kelly retired when he did was because he was told that if he returned for another year, he'd have to win a training camp battle against Todd Collins to have a starting spot. Dan Marino wasn't starter caliber at the end of his career. Nor was Brett Favre. Tom Brady is not yet as bad as Dan Marino or Brett Favre had been at the end of their respective careers. Even so, he's only averaged 6.3 yards per pass attempt this season. That's worse than the career average of Trent Edwards or J.P. Losman. Maybe he'll improve that average as the season progresses. This past Sunday, he averaged a very impressive 8.3 yards per attempt against the Bengals.

This past Sunday, Orton averaged 7.2 yards per attempt against the league's #1 defense. Given that the Patriots defense isn't as good as the Lions defense, I don't see why he can't do the same thing again this Sunday. The real question is Tom Brady. Will he average 6.3 yards per attempt against the Bills, in-line with his overall average thus far this season? Or will he play like he did against the Bengals? If he fails to break 6.3 against the Bills, we will almost certainly win. (Especially if Orton turns in the same kind of performance this week he provided last week.) But if Brady looks as good against the Bills defense as he did against the Bengals, winning the game would be a tough row to hoe for Orton.

I remember that thread and I remember the flak you took from it. And I remember that you were right,

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/136754-the-bills-method-of-winning-is-unsustainable/

I assumed that sooner or later somebody would point out that 1) The Detroit game was a gift because of a bad day for a kicker, 2) the Pats just beat the tar out of the Bengals, and 3) historically the Pats seem to be able to beat the Bills pretty regularly. Therefore, this week will be a tough week. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I believe this Bills team has more talent than any Bills team in the last decade. I believe old age and salary issues are starting to become a reality for the Pats. I believe the new ownership will energize everyone at the game. But it is still the Pats and Bills, so it ain't over 'til it's over.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the flack seems warranted, this seems to be a pretty weak post. I can't think of any Bills fan over the age of 10 who isn't aware of everything mentioned in the OP. Pessimism creeps in on all of us, still on Sunday I turn on the game, move to the edge of my seat, and expect to win. When I'm grumpy and pessimistic pregame, I think it'll be time to find better thing to do on Sunday.

Look, I hate to be the guy looking at the glass half empty here, but we've seen this before. Hope im wrong...

You're right (see, I got that correct!), you're the next step up: the "look, we still have more to spill" kind of guy.

How many guys from THIS team played on THOSE teams?

I remember that thread and I remember the flak you took from it. And I remember that you were right,

http://forums.twobil...-unsustainable/

I assumed that sooner or later somebody would point out that 1) The Detroit game was a gift because of a bad day for a kicker, 2) the Pats just beat the tar out of the Bengals, and 3) historically the Pats seem to be able to beat the Bills pretty regularly. Therefore, this week will be a tough week. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I believe this Bills team has more talent than any Bills team in the last decade. I believe old age and salary issues are starting to become a reality for the Pats. I believe the new ownership will energize everyone at the game. But it is still the Pats and Bills, so it ain't over 'til it's over.

> I remember that thread and I remember the flak you took from it. And I remember that you were right,

Thanks for taking the time to look up the link.

> 1) The Detroit game was a gift because of a bad day for a kicker

It's highly anomalous for a kicker to go 0-3. But it's also anomalous for Orton to throw a pick six. The latter anomaly mostly cancels out the former.

> 2) the Pats just beat the tar out of the Bengals,

Which could mean they're back on track, starting with Tom Brady. Hopefully that game was an outlier, not the beginning of a pattern.

> historically the Pats seem to be able to beat the Bills pretty regularly.

The two common factors during that trend have been superior Patriots quarterbacking and superior Patriots coaching. Both those usual mainstays are being challenged this season. Which means the Patriots' usual position as top dog is being challenged as well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in any position to promise a Bills win or anything. But I think we have a much better chance to beat them this season than our usual.

Oh, wow, you mean we haven't had a great track record of success in recent years, particularly against New England?

Thank you. Thank you so much for pointing that out. For you see, I've spent the last 15 years living on Mars, in a cave, with my fingers in my ears.

Obviously, this is a team that is a work in progress. We need the OL to mature, a star RB to learn to block, a QB to learn the names of the players, WRs to grow and to find a TE or two. Our defense just needs to keep playing hard and stay away from penalties. Our Special Teams were exposed in the return games yesterday and need more work. K & P are playing great.

But we just won our first dogfight on the road and there is plenty of optimism. Marone needs to have this team razor sharp to beat Tom Lady.

Seriously?! You're (YOU ARE) an embarrassment and should go check YOUR grammar rules before you start talking smack like an idiot.

I think that KellyStrong was referring to the second "your," in which case he was correct...

I don't know why, but I just get the feeling that this team has a different attitude then years past. I like the mental toughness they have. The seem to be playing like a band of brothers. Could be too much koolaid drinking or we really could be on to something.