Don't get your hopes up...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're reading too much into my comments. By all means, we SHOULD get our hopes up; we NEED to get our hopes up. That is integral to the process of fandom. I was simply acknowledging that we have a LOT to prove and, as has been the case for most of this century, that proof begins with winning the division and that begins with beating the Pats*. There is nothing wrong with having high hopes and stating the obvious. They are NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't disagree, but the guy posted a thread called "Don't get your hopes up" so I'm puzzled as to why you defended him in the first place.

I don't disagree, but the guy posted a thread called "Don't get your hopes up" so I'm puzzled as to why you defended him in the first place.

Seemed people were giving him unwarranted crap for simply being concerned about the Pats* given our recent history. I didn't read his post as pessimistic so much as cautious. I shouldn't have waded in though, as now I have to defend my posts defending him. I can't take the pressure.

GO BILLS!!

Seemed people were giving him unwarranted crap for simply being concerned about the Pats* given our recent history. I didn't read his post as pessimistic so much as cautious. I shouldn't have waded in though, as now I have to defend my posts defending him. I can't take the pressure.

GO BILLS!!

Haha, fair enough. I really shouldn't have given you a hard time to start with, I enjoy your posts.

3-2 Bills vs. 3-2 Pats*. We've been here before,Bills fans. A chance to prove that this years squad is "different" from years past. I am hopeful, but im not getting sucked in again, and here's why:

2003: Opening day. Beat Brady and the Pats down 31-0. Finish the season 6-10, losing 31-0 in Foxborough in week 17.

2004: 9-6, heading into a week 17 catchup vs. PIT 3Rd stringers, with a playoff spot on the line. Loss.

2011: Start 3-0 after finally ending the Pats dominating streak after falling behind 21-0. Finish 6-10.

Look, I hate to be the guy looking at the glass half empty here, but we've seen this before. Hope im wrong...

BOOO!

Look, all im saying, as a true fan, is that we have a ton of talent on this team. However, we also have a ton of stuff we need to clean up (penalties) and a ton of stuff we need to get better at before I seriously consider this team different. We coaxed an old man, who yes, played well Sunday, to save our floundering QB situation. We have a 33 year old RB, who overshadows the "dynamic" CJ Spiller and his constant, dancing 5 yard losses. Yes, the Bills are 3-2, but certainly not without our flaws. Think we can all agree on that...

I'M

Lol. Orton is 31, roughly the same age as guys like Rivers and Rodgers, and a half decade younger than Brady, Brees and Manning. He was out of the NFL for all of 5 weeks.

Jackson is old, yes, but that's why you have quality depth like Spiller, Dixon and Brown. And we have a strong group of playmakers at WR.

Outside of TE and the interior OL, we are about as complete of an NFL team as you are likely to see in the salary cap era.

I agree the Bills are one of the most complete teams you will find, granted they need help at the guard position, but Seattle as good as they are also needs help on their o-line Russel Maryland won the game last night with a lot of broken plays due to O-line play. I'm most impressed with the depth Whaley has aquired, we went into the Lions game down a pro bowl DT and probably the most productive LB on the roster and still held them to 7 offensive points and 69 yards rushing. I could care less what this team did in years past right now we have a very young talented roster with depth that has won 2 road games that nobody thought they could win. How many of those past teams would have would have been running for the bus as soon as they went down 14 on the road. This is a different team comparing them to the 2003 thru 2011 versions is rediculous, I would compare them to the 88 thru 90 versions that were young talented and learning to win in the NFL. I view the glass as more than half full....... of Kool Aid and I'm drinking it.

Over the past 14 seasons, the Bills have had a few years of early season success, only to be exposed in the later part of their schedule. I think it's natural as a fan to be cautious and not celebrate too early that this team is indeed playoff caliber.

I think there are a couple spots that are encouraging, 1) the defense is very good, probably top 5 in league if (big if) they can stay healthy. 2) they've had success on the road against good teams, winning against Detroit and Chicago

The QB situation is still troubling, color me someone who wants to see more than 1 game from Orton -- and the offensive line is a disaster.

Cautious optimism

3-2 Bills vs. 3-2 Pats*. We've been here before,Bills fans. A chance to prove that this years squad is "different" from years past. I am hopeful, but im not getting sucked in again, and here's why:

2003: Opening day. Beat Brady and the Pats down 31-0. Finish the season 6-10, losing 31-0 in Foxborough in week 17.

2004: 9-6, heading into a week 17 catchup vs. PIT 3Rd stringers, with a playoff spot on the line. Loss.

2011: Start 3-0 after finally ending the Pats dominating streak after falling behind 21-0. Finish 6-10.

Look, I hate to be the guy looking at the glass half empty here, but we've seen this before. Hope im wrong...

Hey, would you rather be the leading scientist in your field or get the mad cow disease?

A few years ago, the Bills were around 4-2 with Fitzpatrick under center. However, they were barely winning games. despite achieving a very positive turnover differential. I started a thread entitled "The Bills' method of winning is unsustainable." I received a lot of responses similar to those directed at the OP.

I don't think anyone's fanhood or strength should be challenged just because one doesn't view the future through rose colored glasses. Rose colored glasses are a less than completely logical response to this team's past track record.

That said, I do not share the OP's perspective on this particular matter. The Bills' defense has been very good, especially upfront. Better than the Patriots' defense. The Bills have better WRs than the Patriots. As for quarterbacks . . .

Eight years ago, if you were to compare Kyle Orton to Tom Brady, people would laugh at you. But Tom Brady isn't the same guy today he was eight years ago. One of the reasons Jim Kelly retired when he did was because he was told that if he returned for another year, he'd have to win a training camp battle against Todd Collins to have a starting spot. Dan Marino wasn't starter caliber at the end of his career. Nor was Brett Favre. Tom Brady is not yet as bad as Dan Marino or Brett Favre had been at the end of their respective careers. Even so, he's only averaged 6.3 yards per pass attempt this season. That's worse than the career average of Trent Edwards or J.P. Losman. Maybe he'll improve that average as the season progresses. This past Sunday, he averaged a very impressive 8.3 yards per attempt against the Bengals.

This past Sunday, Orton averaged 7.2 yards per attempt against the league's #1 defense. Given that the Patriots defense isn't as good as the Lions defense, I don't see why he can't do the same thing again this Sunday. The real question is Tom Brady. Will he average 6.3 yards per attempt against the Bills, in-line with his overall average thus far this season? Or will he play like he did against the Bengals? If he fails to break 6.3 against the Bills, we will almost certainly win. (Especially if Orton turns in the same kind of performance this week he provided last week.) But if Brady looks as good against the Bills defense as he did against the Bengals, winning the game would be a tough row to hoe for Orton.

I was there in 2003. First Bills game. I was 9 years old and my dad and I flew back from California. One of the best days of my life.